Mythic Dawn: 2015 Update Discussion & Changelog

SynthetikHD

yup, every Data\OBSE\Plugins\*.dll need to be installed manually.

I dont know how the timing lines up but you may need to manually install other files that are related to OBSE files like inis.

I'll still stand firm that something like that defeats the purpose of MO.

I won't try and sway anyone's opinion as to whether MO is usable in Oblivion or not, but I will say this. There are ~28,000 Oblivion mods on the Nexus, only about 900 are said to require OBSE, of that number <200 are actually OBSE plugins. Further that number reduces again as some replicate the functionality of others and hence will never be loaded together, so less than 1% of the mods on the Nexus will need to be installed outside of the MO environment. Furthermore the actual steps needed to install those OBSE plugins is significantly easier than any ENB installation and no-one ever claims MO is broken because it can't install those.

Now as to the timing.

Firstly, all script extenders are simply a collection of functions bundled together into a 'dynamically linked library, something which expands the availability of the main executable.

When obse_loader.exe is run it calls the main game executable, in this case Oblivion.exe, and patches it in memory to see OBSE.dll as another location for those functions. Plugins further extend these locations so that mods that explicitly need a new function know where to look to load them.

e.g. ModA has a script extender plugin: ModAPlugin.dll with a function: SomeAwesomeFunction that does something when the mod calls it via scripts. When the script is run the game now checks it's own functions then OBSE and lastly the ModAPlugin.dll to see what to do with that script call. It finds the function in that OBSE plugin and the game continues.

When the game is executed the location of those functions in OBSE, and any plugins based on it, are added to the code, all of this happens before any mod (esp,esm) is loaded, so script extender plugins don't suffer from the same issues of conflict that esm/esp plugins do.

What this means is, the only time an OBSE plugin is used is when the specific mod asks for it and since that esp/esm needs to be loaded in game, any INI files that are used with it are likewise now available and will work on that plugin. However, since OBSE plugins are installed outside of MO it is probably easier to setup these INIs at the same time.

This is why MO has issues with Oblivion and OBSE. The addition of these locations to the main game code happens BEFORE the opportunity for MO to 'hook' it with its code, hence the OBSE plugins will not be seen if loaded via MO. This is big difference with the game code of Oblivion and the other games. Can there be a fix? Probably but not likely.

Lastly the next obstacle to using MO is due to Steam and how/when it interferes with the game. I don't have any 1st hand knowledge of that but I believe there are no validity checks made like with FNV and Steam only comes into play with the ingame UI elements and other 'fluff'.

So to re-iterate. This isn't to push for more use of MO with this guide, only to show how OBSE and the plugins added by it will be seen in game.

I won't try and sway anyone's opinion as to whether MO is usable in Oblivion or not, but I will say this. There are ~28,000 Oblivion mods on the Nexus, only about 900 are said to require OBSE, of that number <200 are actually OBSE plugins. Further that number reduces again as some replicate the functionality of others and hence will never be loaded together, so less than 1% of the mods on the Nexus will need to be installed outside of the MO environment. Furthermore the actual steps needed to install those OBSE plugins is significantly easier than any ENB installation and no-one ever claims MO is broken because it can't install those.

The most common mods DO include it. The ratio doesnt matter because there are various "duplicate" mods that offer similar products, like body mods.

I know that "must have" and extenders do use OBSE plugins.

Here is what the I have installed in the first 13ish mods

"Must Have"

• OR 
  • OSR
  • Unofficial Patch
  • No Floating Weapon

extenders

• MenuQue
  • BlockHead
  • conscribe
  • NifSe
  • AddActorValues

If you add BC and Alternative Beginnings then add a few more. 

Some mods have more than one .dll, I think BC has three.

EDIT: I did change my opinion many months ago, I will use MO when it is fixed.

If it is impossible then the guide will never use it, simple as that.

From what I can tell in the MO\Oblivion forum is that there are a lot of dead threads where the issue was never resolved.

I couldn't find where in the readme it says to skip that part, but I'm assuming that you still rename it, and the BOSS notes and mod page still say to do so. Also if you're following the guide with the recent changes such as the complicated mods section, a part of it needs to be changed that I haven't added yet so your game might not work.

Mythic Dawn: 2015 Update

It's finally done. After working on the guide nearly everyday for two weeks, it is now fully updated. Anyone who wishes to use the guide can now do so because no more changes will be made by me, as no more are needed. Hishutup might add a few things to the guide in the future, but that's unlikely to happen for a while.

Something else to note, since the day I made the first change to the guide a few weeks ago, it has gotten 10k views in that short time which is pretty amazing, though I'm sure most of them were mine. :P Also in order to celebrate finishing it, I made a new banner for the guide. You might need to refresh the page once you click on the guide to see it, but tell me what you think of it.

The whole reason I started updating the guide was because I wanted to play the game, but the guide was too dated for it to be playable. Now I can finally play the game. :)

Edited by SynthetikHD

Thanks for your time and effort Synthetik (and Hishutup) I'm sure it's appreciated by the silent majority : )

Have you installed everything from the guide on your build? If not, it might be helpful to post which mods you chose to install so we know for sure what 'definitely works'. It would be also be great if you posted your current load order for comparison when people finished the guide, in case they have problems they can compare if they are missing anything etc.

Just a couple of minor points;

* The 'Contents' section seems to have some weird spacing from the 'Weapons & Armour' section onwards

* I also found it strange that 'Book Jackets' retex was put under Weapons & Armour section, shouldn't it be 'Other Retexs' ?

I will have a run through the guide again once I get some time and see how it actually changes things out in the game, I'll let you know if I find anything strange once done.

Thanks again

Thanks for your time and effort Synthetik (and Hishutup) I'm sure it's appreciated by the silent majority : )

Thank you!   :^_^:

Have you installed everything from the guide on your build? If not, it might be helpful to post which mods you chose to install so we know for sure what 'definitely works'. It would be also be great if you posted your current load order for comparison when people finished the guide, in case they have problems they can compare if they are missing anything etc.

I have installed almost everything except the things in the Major Overhaul section, which I noted that I haven't updated and I don't plan to update because it gives me a headache even thinking about making them compatible with everything. Also I didn't install any of the orange quest mods in the Unique Adventures section because they all need cleaning and other things to make them compatible so I just didn't bother. Aside from those two major things I literally have almost everything except a few odd mods which I think were only Alive Waters, Clocks of Cyrodiil, a few Red mods like HUD Status Bars and HUD Alive, and a couple other ones. But I have all the main mods that everyone would use.

There are some mods I think should just be taken out of the guide because they're too much of a hassle to add like most of the orange quest mods, but it wouldn't feel right taking them out since hishutup put them in.

Just a couple of minor points;

* The 'Contents' section seems to have some weird spacing from the 'Weapons & Armour' section onwards

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this..

* I also found it strange that 'Book Jackets' retex was put under Weapons & Armour section, shouldn't it be 'Other Retexs' ?

Yes I also found that strange, I didn't really know why that mod was in that section unless hishutup had some reason to put it there or it needed to be before another mod? If he says it was just an accident he put it there then I'll move it.

I will have a run through the guide again once I get some time and see how it actually changes things out in the game, I'll let you know if I find anything strange once done.

Please do. :)

Really anything with serifs would be better. That's just me being picky though.

Ahh, actually you're right, a font with serifs would have been more fitting. I'm on my new pc so I haven't really done any graphic design type work so I barely have any fonts installed. I might change it then.

Edited by SynthetikHD

Could I please make one small request as a colorblind member of the community...could someone please put the corresponding letter with each colored box?  Like R in the red boxes and G in the green, etc.?

I completely forgot about color blindness, I'll get something going.

Since I am not familiar with color blindness is it possible to place the letter on the colored boxes?

Sorry, I dont know the specifics.

What do you think of these...

1PA2ooW

Edit: I committed the changes so that you can see it rendered.