I need of assisntance. FO3

Todriam

Question

I am attempting to mod FO3:GOTY using this guide (https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Kelmych/Fallout3#We_were_somewhere_around_Arlington...).
I've made it through the main UI section and I am to the point where it suggest I start up the game and see how things go.
Well everything works fine till I get to the black screen right before the character creation bit. There are some beeping and water sounds, a black screen and then it just stops.

I've followed the guide, excluding the enb section, multiple times with the same result. So I was wondering if anyone else has had this situation and can assist me.

Also, apologies if this is in the wrong section.

8 answers to this question

You posted in the right place. You might want to post some information about your system, the Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini file, and the loadorder.txt and modlist.txt from the MO Organizer\profiles folder you are using. If you post long files use the spoiler tags from the "Special BB Code".

Turns out my original issue was not due to mods, but a common issue with the game.  Used d3d9.dll to fix that issue and it worked.
Now having gone through the entire guide, whenever I try to start up the game it acts like it's trying to load up a non-existent save file and locks up.

Hopefully this is the correct information:
https://prntscr.com/7ummc9

Fallout.ini

FalloutPrefs.ini

loadorder.txt

modlist.txt

At what point in startup does the problem occur? Do you get any menus before there is a problem, and if how far does the startup prcceed. I don't understand what you mean by a non-existent save file. The game doesn't look for save games until it finishes the initial menus, then it scans the save game names.

It goes through the standbyscreen and the bethesda screen. Then as it gets to the loading screen with the target/spinning line, the screen goes black and a red/orange hud shows up then all but the compass goes away. Now I've got a black screen with a red/orange compass and music playing.

Edited by Todriam

It goes through the standbyscreen and the bethesda screen. Then as it gets to the loading screen with the target/spinning line, the screen goes black and a red/orange hud shows up then all but the compass goes away. Now I've got a black screen with a red/orange compass and music playing.

I've been struggling with the same issue; I get the exact screen you are - it gets to the point where it usually shows the menu but the screen blinks, a quick flash of the in-game hud, then all black with the compass marker on the bottom center. When I disable everything in the CaPD guide installed after the UIO it goes away. This is the first post I've found where anyone else is experiencing the same issue. I went through and reinstalled all the UI section to see if that fixes it and will test it this weekend.

It sounds like there is a problem while the game is loading mods. I haven't seen this in FO3 myself so I don't know what is likely to cause it. When I have problems like this I re-enable plugins in groups until I find the cause.

That's what I've been doing, and so far haven't re-encountered it again. Yet.

I think I must have made a mistake somewhere in the UI section initially.

Edited by 13thGeneral