Weird Apphang Problem

Livnthedream

Question

I have a pretty heavily modified load order in comparison to the guide (more cutting things than adding except for textures) and the game is hanging in combat. If I shoot or kill the enemies fast enough everything is fine. Enemies can melee attack with no issue, but if they fire guns, on the third shot the game hangs. This is anywhere. It happens with random bystanders in Megaton, or the raiders in Springvale. It doesn't seem to be tied to any specific weapon. Not sure what I should do to run down the issue, as there shouldn't be any incompatibilities.

3 answers to this question

Do you have any mods that modify the weapon decals such as EVE and/or any large texture mods?

Only making an educated guess here, but the way you describe your problem sounds like the game refusing to go any further once it hits a limit of weapon hits. Perhaps your system is stumbling under the load?

I've had a similar problem if CASM is used, and that's why the caution on using it is in the guide. I haven't had this problem in other situations. I had something similar with a less capable system when I used EVE. Are you using Impact? What weapon are you using, or does this matter? As GrantSP mentions, it might be a game engine or GPU overload problem.

I cut EVE and CASM (using https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/3484/? and https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/18712/? in there place). I am using a chunk of texture packs, but nothing is higher than 2k, and I took 512/1024 options when they were available. Even then I am maintaining 50-60fps, both with and without an Enb, so I don't think there is an issue there. Maybe that I patched something incorrectly when adding compatibility for calibur/excalibur bullets to normal weapons, but it seems goofy to me that it would wait for the third shot. Shouldn't that bug out on the first, or when I am firing if that were the case? It was happening with several different weapons. Like it would freeze when being shot by Mr Burke and his silenced 10mm, but if I kill him quickly and use his weapon its fine. I also doubt its a hardware problem:

I5-3570k oc 4.2

16gigs @1600mhz

GTX 680 2gig

Could it be a threading issue? I know others have complained about quadcores causing an issue with the game, but that is always described as a hard crash. Also, speaking of ini tweaks, anyone know how to remove the mouse acceleration? The ini tweaks from NV don't work, I have tried both ini's through MO and nothing.