Sign in to follow this  
JonasB

MO Won't run SKSE

Question

I have the skyrim script extender loaded into the mod organizer but it won't run it. Instead it always run skyrim default. I have double-checked and the skse link uses C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe as the 'Binary' entry. 

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but whenever I try to load the nexus mod manager it gives me a message saying it can't find the skyrim.ini file, which is weird because I've run the game several times without issue and my understanding is that the .ini is generated when the game is run. Again, not sure if it's relevant, but putting it out there.

Any help is appreciated. 

...huh. So apparently moving Steam out of the program files just solved it. MO runs skse just fine now.

Mod Organizer and Nexus Mod Manager are two entirely different programs. You mention both of them, which are you actually using?

You cannot use both of these tools together. They work in completely different ways and doing so will cause issues.

I am using MO. I have NMM installed but it has no mods in it and is not associated with nexus links. I brought up NMM only because I thought the .ini thing might be relevant. If it's not, then please disregard anything in my original post relating to it.

As for those steps in the link, yes I believe I did. I have SKSE in the executables dropdown, the problem is that instead of SKSE the organizer attempts to run vanilla skyrim.

Even though the MO UI may have set SKSE as an executable, you will still need to ensure that it, SKSE, is selected as the one to run in the drop-down box. This is especially true when you make changes to ANY executable. After closing then dialog that sets them, the drop-down box will reset to the default or top executable. It may be that in your case that is Skyrim and not SKSE.

If SKSE is selected, check that it is actually set to run the skse_loader and not just changed the name but left the binary field intact.

The Binary field entry is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\skse_loader.exe

Have you run Skyrim at least once from its own launcher to generate the initial ini files?

This needs to be done since MO wont be able to copy the ini files into its VFS if they don't exist beforehand.

Also have you moved the installation folder of Skyrim? Doing so makes the registry settings invalid and 3rd party applications can't find it.

Do you have a legitimate up-to-date version of Skyrim? ie. version 1.9.32

Are both the SKSE dll files also installed alongside the skse_loader? ie. skse_1_9_32.dll, skse_steam_loader.dll

Lastly, by what means are you determining that MO isn't running SKSE? Is the default Skyrim Launcher starting instead?

Can you start the game by running SKSE from inside an explorer window, without using MO? Or by a desktop shortcut?

The only way that I know this can happen is if you do NOT have Steam running prior to launching SKSE through Mod Organizer. What happens typically in that case is a pop-up from MO warns you to launch Steam first. If you select No, or have selected No in the past and checked the Remember Me box, SKSE_Loader will run, tell Skyrim to launch up, but since Steam isn't already running, both SKSE and MO fail to hook Skyrim since Steam needs to be running first. Steam then starts up and essentially restarts Skyrim.

To fix, simply launch Steam prior to running MO. Or, if you did select No at that prompt and checked Remember Me and wish to change that decision, go into MO Settings and hit Reset Dialogs.

-My skyrim content build ID is 111802. This is the closest thing to a version number I could find under Properties.

-Yes the other skse files are in the skyrim directory with the main skse loader

-When I click on the SKSE shortcut on my desktop, skyrim is automatically run without using the loader screen. When I try to run SKSE through MO, it goes to the loader screen. Furthermore, if I continue to skyrim proper, SkyUI will give me an alert saying that SKSE is not running. This is how I determined that MO is not running SKSE.

-I could run SKSE without using MO, but then none of the mods i have installed through the organizer would work.

-I have steam running well before I run MO and have never had the issue STEP Staff describes.

Okay, let's eliminate anything we can.

From an explorer window rename the ModOrganizer.ini to something safe, e.g. ModOrganizer.ini.bak, and then start MO again.

This will run it with no extra settings. You will be presented with a dialog asking which game to run, choose Skyrim and proceed.

Dismiss the 'tip of the day' dialog and say no to the tutorial question.

If SKSE is set correctly and the registry knows where Skyrim is installed SKSE should be the top executable in the drop-down menu and you should be able to press "Run" and start Skyrim with SKSE.

If that doesn't happen then there is a problem with the registry not knowing where the game exe is.

If it does work thn=en the settings in the original ini are incorrect and you will need to fix those with what is found in the new one just created.

-My name is not STEP Staff. That is my title. My name is DoubleYou.

-I highly doubt that he pirated the game as it is in the Steam directory structure. From what I've seen, pirates typically have it in a bogus TSEV Skyrim folder.

-Tested the registry theory, and even if the registry is wrong, it will work fine through MO.

-Since you have Steam and Skyrim installed in Program Files (x86) you might simply be experiencing UAC issues. Please read the STEP Skyrim Installation Guide. To test if it is a UAC issue, try running MO as administrator temporarily. If that fixes it, change folder security settings for Skyrim directory so that the User account has Full Control and run MO like normal.

-If it isn't a UAC issue, I can only think of two things it might be since it isn't that Steam isn't running prior:

1. FNIS checker could be interfering. Disable it in Settings > Plugins > FNIS Checker > Enabled to False

2. For some bogus reason, Steam might be receiving the wrong Steam App ID when SKSE is launched. To attempt to fix this, modify the SKSE executable settings to Overwrite Steam App ID with 72850.

-There is the possibility that your antivirus is interfering.

-What is your Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini? What is your enblocal.ini? What is your ModOrganizer.ini?

Okay, let's eliminate anything we can.

From an explorer window rename the ModOrganizer.ini to something safe, e.g. ModOrganizer.ini.bak, and then start MO again.

This will run it with no extra settings. You will be presented with a dialog asking which game to run, choose Skyrim and proceed.

Dismiss the 'tip of the day' dialog and say no to the tutorial question.

If SKSE is set correctly and the registry knows where Skyrim is installed SKSE should be the top executable in the drop-down menu and you should be able to press "Run" and start Skyrim with SKSE.

If that doesn't happen then there is a problem with the registry not knowing where the game exe is.

If it does work thn=en the settings in the original ini are incorrect and you will need to fix those with what is found in the new one just created.

Did this and it still runs default skyrim. Is the problem that the registry doesn't know where the SKSE .exe is? 

Incidentally, I always run MO as an administrator.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By ApparatusHappy
      Ive been modding for a few years now, and its gone without a hitch. I dont use vortex since its over complicated, and use a community driven NMM (Nexus Mod Manager.) Ive tried installing skse64 to play my new mod profile, but i cant seem to load it on skse. It somewhat loads on vanilla, but very buggy and a ton of mods wont work. Ive uninstalled, reinstalled, disabled and re enabled, and ive even run on administrator, and reinstalled SKSE itself. Nothing seems to be working. i can give screenshots if needed
    • By TechAngel85
      Discussion topic:
      Unequip Quiver SE by PK0
      Wiki Link

• By Lt_Ballzacki
      >>System Specs:

https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Lt_Ballzacki/SystemSpecs

>>Screencap of Crash: 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzyKw-wGwnDvR2VhSklOUnY2ME0/view?usp=sharing

>>Problem:

I have been working for nearly a month now modding skyrim and have had success with everything besides ENB. Approaching nearly 250 mods now I was having more and more stability problems and decided to look up some stability guides. After numerous attempts to get RealVision ENB working with no avail, I finally gave up on ENB altogether. According to the stability guide however, I needed ENBoost even without an ENB preset to limit CTD's. I had the same problem as I did when trying to install the preset--CTD before the Bethesda title screen. I have no idea why this is still happening. I followed the Skyrim Stability Install, tried the STEP install and got the same crash. 

I have read through the entire FAQ's section, forum posts, contacted Skyrim Tuner, and worked with GamerPoets on YouTube, none of which could solve the problem.  Hopefully that is of some help as well. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Correspondence with GamerPoets on Youtube:

This is refering to RealVision ENB installation problems with the same crash but I figured they could be of some use as well. 

Zackary Nicholson 1 week agoCTD. Solid...Reply Â· 1          Hide replies GamerPoets 1 week ago+Zackary Nicholson Solid?Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 1 week agoIdk why I got crash to start. I followed the tutorial and I tried it again with the instructions on the RealVision page with the same issue.Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 1 week agoAfter I launch SKSE, I just get a small Skyrim window and then it just crashes before even getting to the Bethesda screen like you would a load order CTD. Any ideas?Reply Â· 1          GamerPoets 1 week ago+Zackary Nicholson Are you using the RealVision installer like in the video? If so, go into your ENBLocal.ini. there is an occasional (with me all the time) "error" of sorts that changes the line "videomemorysizemb" to a number to high for the system. Make sure that the value is only the amount of Vram that you have for one graphics card... if not change it... Say you have 2 gigs... it should be 2048... also, the line "expandsystemmemoryx64=true" ... try setting it to false... this helps some people.Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 1 week agoThanks for the quick reply. I tried all combinations of that. I have 4 gb of vram and therefore set it to 4096 but I checked in dxdiag and it showed that I had only 4095. I tried both values with no avail. I also used some formula to calculate it on the nexus page (RAM + VRAM - 2048 ) but that didn't work either. This is all with ModOrganizer btw.Reply Â· 1          GamerPoets 1 week ago+Zackary Nicholson You definitely know what you're doing. RealVision doesn't have any way for mod conflicts either without an esp. Did you make sure to use the most recently mentioned enb series from the enb dev page? The one in this video is now out dated for RealVision. Now sure what the newest one is but its on the downloads section on his page im sure. I dont like that forumla. It widely used but I think its crap lol just my opinion, I know it probably works for everyone reading this comment but I dont like it. You can always set your Vram even lower.. make sure the reserved memory in the enblocal.ini is set to 512 since you are using skse. That's the same ( i believe) setting that shesons memory patch sets the memory blocks too. Maybe that will help? I've never have it just crash... is this the first ENB you are installing in your current setup? you also need direct x runtime for the enb to launch right. it will crash right when you launch the game without it. -Michael Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 1 week ago+GamerPoets Yup I have the corresponding enb binaries referenced on the enb page. I set my vram even lower (2048) and made sure the reserved memory was set to 512. I tried the memory patch. By the directx runtime do you just mean dx11 or end-user runtime. Regardless I have both. All of this and I still have the same result. This is the first enb install I have ever done. At this point I am just gonna try a clean install of Skyrim and trying going from there and see what happens.Reply Â·          Zackary Nicholson 1 week agoHere is a screencap of the crash if it helps: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzyKw-wGwnDvSU9CLUtTX3JNaFE&authuser=0Reply Â·          Zackary Nicholson 1 week agoAfter a clean install of skyrim, I got the game to boot. However ENB does not seem to be working even though it is checked in Mod Organizer. I do not have there version displayed in the top left and can't load the GUI.Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 1 week agoNvm same issue...Reply Â·          GamerPoets 1 week ago+Zackary Nicholson Do you mean in game when you push shift+enter that screen doesn't come up? ... well wait... I miss read piece I think.... if the version isn't displayed in the top left that means you don't have the actual enb series files in your skyrim folder... even if things are not installed properly you will see that message at the top left with the files in your skyrim folder... Check the realvision page (if this is the enb you are using) and check to see what version that latest release of Real Vision needs. You need the d3d9.dll and the enblauncher in your skyrim folder or it wont work. -Michael Reply Â· 1          GamerPoets 1 week ago+Zackary Nicholson since this video I believe skyrimtuner removed his personal enb series archive and you will need to go to the actual enb dev.com page... check out the vividian enb tutorial on my page if you don't know what I mean.. ignore everything except the enbseries section. -Michael Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 1 week agoThats what I did. I have the correct version from the enb page I am just getting the same crash every time.Reply Â·          GamerPoets 1 week ago+Zackary Nicholson Just to confirm, you do adjust the ini files in the Skyrim folder after running the installer right? Not in the mod organizer mod folder... The installer should move all required files into your Skyrim folder. However, I notice from that screen that you run a torrented version of Skyrim. Regardless or not if you paid for a Skyrim copy (I'm assuming you did), pirated versions are not always up to date, and may be the reason it is not working proper (did the installer work proper?). ENB needs to hack into TESV.exe, by lack of better explanation. Make sure it is fully up to date to the latest version. In Enblocal.ini in your Skyrim folder, make sure you have  expandsystemmemoryx64=false. Also, make sure you install SKSE and sheson's memory patch. Michael has a tutorial for that as well. I hope you can fix it. -Joe Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 1 week ago+GamerPoets Yes I do own a copy of Skyrim for PS3 I just wanted to try out modding it on PC. I ran the RealVision ini autoinstaller which asked me to select the skyrimprefs.ini in the ModOrganizer profiles folder. I believe ModOrganizer overwrites the skyrimprefs.ini with the one configured in my profile do I need to directly change it within my Skyrim folder or will the ModOrganizer profile work as well? I did try the sheson's patch already and set expandsystemmemoryx64 to false. I am booting with SKSE but will look into the tutorial. I'm guessing it's probably a version problem. Where would I find the version (in game) of Skyrim that is compatible with ENB? Reply Â·          Zackary Nicholson 1 week ago+GamerPoets I am currently running 1.9.32.0.8. I am pretty sure this is the latest version. Could the pirated copy be the problem even if the version is right? I don't know exactly how cracking it works but maybe the cracked TESV.exe is the problem?Reply Â· 1          GamerPoets 1 week agoPirated versions of the game wont work with most modding software. Not just this stuff. -MichaelReply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 1 week ago+GamerPoets Alright good to know I haven't had any problems with it so far. It was just a test run. Guess I'm waiting for a steam sale then. Thanks for all your help regardless. I don't know many channels that would go that far out of their way to help a fellow modder. I'll let my friends know about your channel! Reply Â· 1          GamerPoets 1 week agoNot a problem man. =) Happy to help. Yeah, anything with an additional compents (tes5edit, wryebash, enb's, blah blah blah lol) wont work usually. If they do the work around may not be worth the trouble. We do our best to help everyone. We like to think of GamerPoets as a community more than it is a simple channel. Don't go telling people you have pirated stuff, they will block you lol. I know nothing... -MichaelReply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 5 days ago+GamerPoets So I got a legit version and still have the same crash issue :(Reply Â· 1          GamerPoets 5 days agoWell at least we are starting somewhere = ) ... So you have steam installed then? and you have skyrim installed to the steam folder? yes? ... you need to download and install direct x runtime. Then, make sure you use whatever the latest enbseries is on the real vision page (it wont be the same as the video, it upgrades all the time). Then you have to make sure the d3d9.dll and the enblauncher from that enbs series archive from the enb dev website is in the skyrim folder itself... right click the skyrim folder, make sure all security is set to allow full control. Go intro you enblocal.ini file in the skyrim folder after its installed and manually tune back the vram setting.. i bet you it is set at some crazy high number because the installer... make sure expandsystemmemory64 or whatever it is, is set to false. Make sure you check mark the realvision mod stuff in mod organizer or nexus mod manager, whatever you use. -Michael Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 5 days ago+GamerPoets Yes I did all that. Same crash.Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 5 days agoI just noticed that I didn't have a skse.ini, so I added one to mod organizer under my skse plugins mod with the configured values on the realvision page with no luck as well.Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 5 days agoI also tried installing FXAA post process injector (after uninstalling enb) and got the same crash if that helps you at all.Reply Â· 1          GamerPoets 3 days agoWith everything mentioned above, the game just shouldn't crash lol.. i laugh only because its baffling. What's the FXAA injector that you installed? Did the game work 100% before installing the ENB?  And did you make sure to take the enbseries stuff from the wrapper version and not the injector version? If so man I would contact skyrim tuner directly. There's really nothing else to it if you did all that stuff. You can also point him to the video and the comment here so he can check it out or if anyone helping maintain the mod would care to check it out. I'm a bit lost here. -Michael Reply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 3 days ago+GamerPoets Yes I made sure to run the realvision uninstaller and and went back into my skyrim folder to delete the enb files and the d3d9.dll + the enbhost.exe from the enb website. I ran the game through ModOrganizer after the uninstallation and made sure it was working again. I then tried to install the FXAA injector to see if that would work, as I read it was an alternative but that failed as well. I mentioned it because I figured they used some similar tools that might give you some insights to the root of the problem. Yes the enb files were from the Wrapper Version folder. Ya I was lost too as I am not completely retarded when it comes to computers and followed the instructions step by step numerous times with no luck. I contacted SkyrimTuner via the Nexus Forums. If there is a better way to get in touch with him please let me know. Reply Â· 1          GamerPoets 3 days agoNexus is the way to go. If you haven't heard back from him I would say next best bit (you will unfortunately have to tell them everything all over again... i would highly suggest not mentioning anything about previously having a game that wasn't purchased lol especially since you have one now and I dont want anyone to overlook the question because of it)... post it in the STEP forums. More than half of what I know has come from those guys. And they have a full out team dedicated to nothing but answering questions.  -Michael Reply Â· 1          GamerPoets 3 days agoIt seems like you are doing everything right man. If you do get answers I'd be happy to hear what caused it. I can't imagine its something major. It has to be something unbelievably tiny that I can't think of and that you may have overlooked..  -MichaelReply Â· 1          Zackary Nicholson 3 days ago+GamerPoets Ya I will try the STEP forums if I don't hear back from him. Thanks again for all the help regardless. I'll be sure to let you know if I ever figure out the issue.Reply Â· 1          GamerPoets 3 days agoNot a problem. You seem to know more about what to do right then most people who have asked help who I actually helped resolve things. It's truly freakin baffling me lol. You know your stuff. Don't feel at all that you don't. I guarantee its something stupid.  -MichaelReply Â· 1