ENBSeries INI Guide

TechAngel85

I understand where you're coming from and getting at to make it match the INI exactly but it's just a header and a title. Whether there are brackets there or not, it still conveys the message that it is for the SKYLIGHTING section of the INI. Also, from a readability standpoint it's hard to read with the brackets. I personally like it better without the brackets and it was one of the first things I removed. Things like this doesn't need to be exact as it's just a header. [sKYLIGHTING] in the INI is just a header for the section. SKYLIGHTING is just a header that is more readable on a Guide.

PS:

I don't use the talk pages because there is no notification of new posts to them.

The brackets tell us: "yes, this is a list of the enbseries.ini sections, and we are talking about those ... all of them."

I don't think readability is any issue at all. My eyes are not that good, but I can see those ini sections just fine. Information comes first before appearance for a guide like this, IMO.

Ok, so I asked elsewhere, but since you are all here: if I make my edits to the wiki on INI definitions that I'm preparing, should I set it up to look like the one done for the ENB Settings?

It looks really good and it is easy to follow and I think it may even be easier to maintain it with that layout.

PS. I just stumbled on a thread on the same thing done by @torminator, no one has commented on that thread so am I to take this as an indicator that these INI settings are not things people like talking about?

I don't agree. When it's all caps like the headers, readability is an issue. Otherwise, I wouldn't care either way...and at least this: SKYLIGHTING is closer to this: [sKYLIGHTING] than this: [skylighing]. Here on the forum it's okay. However, on the wiki when you add in the color and the underline for the link, it gets to be too much for the eyes imo, especially seeing them altogether. Which is easy to read?

[sKYLIGHITNG]

SKYLIGHTING

I would say the second as it's cleaner and the same message is applied in the text....the SKYLIGHTING section. The INI Guide is not going to have anything else in it other than the INI sections themselves, so there is no possible way for it to mean anything else other than that section. I think a user to determine that within the first second of reading it.

If the guys what to add stuff in about the other files, shaders, etc, then we'll add those as separate guides as they would have little to nothing to do with the ENBSeries INI file.

Ok, so I asked elsewhere, but since you are all here: if I make my edits to the wiki on INI definitions that I'm preparing, should I set it up to look like the one done for the ENB Settings?

It looks really good and it is easy to follow and I think it may even be easier to maintain it with that layout.

PS. I just stumbled on a thread on the same thing done by @torminator, no one has commented on that thread so am I to take this as an indicator that these INI settings are not things people like talking about?

You can copy this layout for other INI Guide.

Which INI settings are you referring to in your PS?

All INI guides should follow the same format as we have now for DDSopt INI and ENBseries INI (see the category page). Notice that the ENBseries INI guide uses subpages for each section. This is a big guide and Tech et al are willing to go to the lengths to document most every setting I think along with screenshots. Editing in this format is much simpler, less prone to loss of edit (happens rarely on big pages), and load time is reduced greatly.

On the other hand, the DDSopt INI guide is very small and has not subpages inside INI Settings category. It itself is categorized under both INI Guides and INI Settings (ENBseries INI Guide is only categorized under INI Guides, but its subpages are all under INI Settings).

EDIT:

Tech :ninja:

I get it ... take a look at the page now ... no underlined links, problem resolved. The actual INI uses all caps and brackets around each section, which is pretty standard for INI files. I would rather use lower case and keep the brackets if there is still an issue with the way it looks now without underscored links.

Besides, you removed the brackets from a heading, whch was never underscored.

EDIT2: Tech, it is ultimately your call, since you are the one doing most of the work on this guide. I am just trying to help you understand one user's perspective ;)

I think the https://wiki.step-project.com/Category:INI_Settings

page looks pretty good other than the DDS one but still its in order and fairly easy to read

maybe you can remove the link and just have the section.

Kinda like a tag

like uh

[[ENBseries_INI:SKYLIGHTING]]

and then go to the https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBseries_INI page...

I think thats how it works...

or use an ask and ask for all ENBseries_INI

IDK, Im just throwing out ideas

Tech, I think this is better

SKYLIGHTING

because its less busy

Yes the layout of the DDSOpt guide is atrocious. It's just a copy-paste of the DDSOpt.ini and doesn't really provide any direction. You just read the text and that's it.

The entire ENB guide is fantastic. the layout is easy to see and follow and each sub-section on a separate page is a breeze to read.

Each of the pages are also beautiful. A lot of work has obviously gone into them and I think as they look now is top quality.

The thread in my PS was about the Skyrim.ini, I'm compiling a list of all the game inis, Fallout3, FalloutNV & Oblivion included.

A lot of the settings are the same and where they differ I can differentiate.

Tech :ninja:

I get it ... take a look at the page now ... no underlined links, problem resolved. The actual INI uses all caps and brackets around each section, which is pretty standard for INI files. I would rather use lower case and keep the brackets if there is still an issue with the way it looks now without underscored links.

Besides, you removed the brackets from a heading, whch was never underscored.

That looks good on the main page the the other issue was the TOC on the sub-pages which was the first time I noticed that it was a bit hard to read (the reason for me removing it on the heading). It's something that I can deal it. It at least looks much better on the main page. I already had to tweak the custom CSS to work around the TOC...which I didn't know you removed until I seen some things were wonky with the compare placements their headings.

Anyway, this thread heading off topic to a degree.

Tech ... see my previous post please :/

Okay, I'll wait to see it any of the other authors comment on the new layout and any of this discussion. For now, I'll just keep the brackets when I'm editing. I have a PM out to all the author notifying them to check in when they get time.

Yes the layout of the DDSOpt guide is atrocious. It's just a copy-paste of the DDSOpt.ini and doesn't really provide any direction. You just read the text and that's it.

The entire ENB guide is fantastic. the layout is easy to see and follow and each sub-section on a separate page is a breeze to read.

Each of the pages are also beautiful. A lot of work has obviously gone into them and I think as they look now is top quality.

The thread in my PS was about the Skyrim.ini, I'm compiling a list of all the game inis, Fallout3, FalloutNV & Oblivion included.

A lot of the settings are the same and where they differ I can differentiate.

Please do create any INI guide you want and use the same structure if you know how to do it. I will eventually go in and change what you don't get right, so just worry about the content and basic layout if you want.

PS: The DDSopt INI is not nearly as well understood as the ENB INIs, and the users of this one only want to copy/paste the entire INI anyways, so it is purely utilitarian and not meant to be pretty at all.