ENBSeries INI Guide

TechAngel85

Matso;

My mods, in every form, is always free to use as long as a user of them doesn't claim to have constructed them initially, him- or herself.

So feel free to use them as you want Matso ;)

Aiyen;

Explaining things are always so fun, especially writing lines upon lines of description in the shader files :P

But yeah it would allow new comers to be less afraid of tinkering with codes if there where better documentation with them.

It is after all as close as one can get to the vanilla looks while having the ENBSeries fully functional and activated, graphically. Then there are the hard coded visual changes Boris have made "behind the scenes" that will draw certain areas away from the vanilla visual style regardless of settings while in full graphical mode. The cloud layer opacities for instance.

Maybe we should stop thinking about adding a bunch of new effects and codes to the files, for a while anyway, and actually start adding in proper explanation? Less fun granted but in the end the community would most likely benefit more from it. Than using pre-configured files which they don't have a clue how they fit together, code wise that is. Not saying we will go over HLSL basics but at least give some hint on how the code works.

I'm ok with simplifying explanations, but suck at delivering technical accurate explanations in detail.

Edited by JawZ

Well I remember struggling a lot with the AGGC until I rewrote it into HLSL and split it up into component parts instead. Everything in there is essentially juts "contrast" "tint" etc. 

Also I personally am not programmer enough to appreciate the whole compressed r0 etc. convention. I like my variables to have sensible names where possible.. but that might just be me! The more you code, the more you just end up calling things something that is fast to type. 

About the various effects altering the vanilla style. Then this is hard to get away from. The game was designed without those effects, hence palette choices and values where never designed for it and will have to be compensated for. Just like for the best cloud effects you really do need some clouds that have good alpha channels etc. 

I guess I do not mind throwing in a few description lines if you got the code base down JawZ. Just so it aint you running away with all the glory! :) 

I thought of doing a similar approach for the elepAGCC.fxh code, but in the end I decided to go with the default r0 approach, just to serve as a before and after example of what can be done with it so users can, hopefully, see how the code was changed and in so doing they might learn a bit from it by having a before and after example in front of them.

Basically how I always try to code my stuff as that is how I started to learn coding for ENBSeries, though it was in the HD6 file which was a nightmare to go through.

I agree full with you there. One can just make compensations here and there until it all blends as best as it possibly can.

Cloud textures alpha is a joke, Bethesda originals that is, pure white in almost all areas :/

The already uploaded files will stay that way until I find, or if I find, a new better effect to replace certain aspects of it. But it will most likely be included as a comparison file similar to the elepTonemapMethods.fxh file is currently.

The base is there and it will only be changed if it is in need of it, to fix visual render issues if there are any. Though I can't remember such a fix is necessary with any of the files uploaded currently.

Edited by JawZ

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of which ...

@Tech

It would be great to get those boilerplate images replaced with something relevant ... are you doing this work yourself still or are you taking any volunteers? If the latter, you may want to fish for volunteers with specifications on testing parameters.

Tapioks have started to make some visual comparisons on various ENBSeries effects;

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAVAEFNquRhLUDmL9LNtqsg

Thought it would be worth mentioning it here, for some possible future inclusion/linking.

Seen this the other day and have watched the few that exist. He's doing a good job.

Speaking of which ...

@Tech

It would be great to get those boilerplate images replaced with something relevant ... are you doing this work yourself still or are you taking any volunteers? If the latter, you may want to fish for volunteers with specifications on testing parameters.

I'm still doing them myself as I'd like them to the consistent. As for the rush, I'm not in one. The Guide is far from being finished in both comparisons and having the parameters properly defined. I was giving everyone a break since the holidays usually take up most of people's time. Planning on annoying these guys again very soon to see if they're still interested or not.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey there, just wanted to let you know I'm still around and I check this thread occasionally. I've been very busy since before the holidays so I haven't added anything new to the guide in quite some time. I haven't even really had much time for Skyrim or my own ENB lately. Anyways, I'll look at the guide, see what we're still working on and make additions sometime soon-ish. I've settled into my new job fairly well so I'll likely have a little less stress and a little more free time in the coming weeks. Next week will be busy, but should die down a little after that.

I hope others are still working on or planning to work on this! I know you're on it, Tech ;)

I just added a number of notes to the EFFECTS section of the guide, generally clarifying the more specific uses of an effect and/or whether it's something best left to the preset author or not to decide. I didn't make notes on all the effects, but a number of them.

I just added a number of notes to the EFFECTS section of the guide, generally clarifying the more specific uses of an effect and/or whether it's something best left to the preset author or not to decide. I didn't make notes on all the effects, but a number of them.

Awesome! Thanks! Hopefully the other guys will kick back in and help out. This project has sat stagnate for a while now. I'll probably just send out a group message as a reminder.

Awesome! Thanks! Hopefully the other guys will kick back in and help out. This project has sat stagnate for a while now. I'll probably just send out a group message as a reminder.

Not a bad idea. I'm sure everyone is kinda just busy with their own projects and could use a reminder.

• 10 months later...

So been doing some work here after a long typing break.

Additions so far;

Added info on controls with interior seperation that doesn't do anything, to all sections. Copy and pasted the same line over and over and over again, no sense of having it unique per control.

Bloom

ImageBasedLighting

SubSurfaceScattering Object, Vegation and Eyes.

You're welcome, working on a preset without shaders just .ini tweaks, so thought I would add info when it's gotten fresh ones more.

Going to add more to it but that will be tomorrow, I think.

I'm not surprised that you have a lot on your plate Tech ;)

Edited by JawZ

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that the ENBSeries.ini wiki guide does not have anything explaining what "Brute Force" does, if your unfamiliar with it, it can be found in V0.292 under "Global" through the in game gui.

Sometimes when closing the gui down wih "Shift + Enter" this effect can be auto toggled on I've noticed and my performane goes from roughly 40 - 60fps outside to less than 10, I'm assuming considering what I've read that this is indeed the intended functionality of this option, if so what exactly is it purpose ?