Mythic Dawn: Gateway to Oblivion WIP

hishutup

Hey, recently purchased Oblivion after seeing how good it can look all modded up, and obviously this guide is the place to go at least to get a start there... 

couple questions;

first, is it possible to use MO to mod Oblivion?  I've done multiple installs of STEP as well as Essarrbee's Fear and Loathing, and am very comfortable using MO, to the point where I can intuit what to do most of the time without the help of the guide, but I know next to nothing of Wrye Bash other than building a Bashed Patch.  Especially if I'm going to be using the guide only as a loose framework, I'd much prefer to use MO.

second, will there be an update to the guide anytime soon?  I have a masterpiece modded Skyrim and FNV right now that I have only begun to play, and could definitely wait for an update if one was coming... otherwise I might tinker a bit for now.

Better Cities has recently added Boron Dakkon's House in Oblivion from The Lost Spires, and I made the mistake of visiting at night, where a clear case of multiple textures fighting each other on the same mesh of the house.

At 7am onwards the walls seem to come right, but the windows still show the texture problem.

The Better Cities - The Lost Spires patch doesn't do anything to help remedy the issue. 

What would be a good solution for this? To use an earlier version of Better Cities? Or some other sort of solution such as removing the house from one of the mods?

As far as I know BC is still maintained by Vorians (aka "display name is already in use" on the official Bethesda forums). So it might be a good idea to bring this issue to his attention either on Nexus or the Bethesda forums. After reading through the Oblivion threads here on STEP it seems that you have more knowledge than most of us. So if you don't know how to solve this issue I kinda doubt anyone else does.

(I have a working modded Oblivion, but the performance hit that comes with BC is too much for me. I'm only using the Better Imperial City districts)

Hey, recently purchased Oblivion after seeing how good it can look all modded up, and obviously this guide is the place to go at least to get a start there... 

couple questions;

first, is it possible to use MO to mod Oblivion?  I've done multiple installs of STEP as well as Essarrbee's Fear and Loathing, and am very comfortable using MO, to the point where I can intuit what to do most of the time without the help of the guide, but I know next to nothing of Wrye Bash other than building a Bashed Patch.  Especially if I'm going to be using the guide only as a loose framework, I'd much prefer to use MO.

second, will there be an update to the guide anytime soon?  I have a masterpiece modded Skyrim and FNV right now that I have only begun to play, and could definitely wait for an update if one was coming... otherwise I might tinker a bit for now.

Do you have the Steam or the retail disc version?

I use MO with the retail disc version and have no issues at all, but apparently those with the Steam version face issues especially with OBSE and mods that use it. I don't have all the mods this guide uses because I lack some of the DLC so that may also contribute but it wouldn't hurt to try and see. If you're comfortable with STEP & F&LNV then this will be a 'walk in the park'.

I use the Steam GOTY version.... just read your "Why SKSE plugins can be installed via MO and others can't" thread... the whole manual placement of OBSE plugins doesn't thrill me.  Not sure if I should just figure out this MO workaround or suck it up and learn more of WB.  Sort of a moot point ATM as I recently purchased a 500GB Samsung 950 Pro SSD, and will shortly be transferring my whole setup to it, as I currently have everything installed on my main drive SSD, contrary to STEP instructions.  So it might be a bit before I'm really ready to start modding Oblivion.

to throw it out there, I hope you have at least Shivering Isles, as it's potentially the best DLC ever made for a video game, IMHO.

Edited by baronaatista

• 1 month later...

I think im going to remod oblivion since the new nvida cards are coming out soon. 

HiShutup do you still plan to update this guide in the future?

Yes but currently school is being a pain. Sometimes I hate being moderately intelligent but its almost done with for now.

Yes but currently school is being a pain. Sometimes I hate being moderately intelligent but its almost done with for now.

I feel you there brother.  I plan to re mod oblivion once the new nvida cards which drop in june and after I replay witcher 3.  If you like Once I find a nice long stable set up I can share it with you for future use.  So it will still be few months, also it takes me at least a month to find a stable set up. 

I don't really know why you'd play oblivion after getting a new card. The game can't max out any somewhat modern GPU unless you apply some stupid heavy effects.

Better Cities would like to have a word with you. :P (though tbh im not sure if that mod is GPU intensive, poorly optimized, or if the engine just can't handle it)

And im curious, what are you getting your degree in? Computer Science probably?

Better Cities would like to have a word with you. :P (though tbh im not sure if that mod is GPU intensive, poorly optimized, or if the engine just can't handle it)

Well see that's true with most games however not with oblivion.

Oblivion is very CPU dependant. My old system could bearly get above the single digits, now perfect 60

And im curious, what are you getting your degree in? Computer Science probably?

No actually, its just an associates but the program is called Mechatronics.

However I may go after a ba in applied science and technology

Well see that's true with most games however not with oblivion.

Oblivion is very CPU dependant. My old system could bearly get above the single digits, now perfect 60

Hmm, that's weird and surprising. Are all Bethesda games generally more CPU dependent/intensive rather than GPU, or mostly just Oblivion? I can't really think why it would be aside from all the scripting and NPC scripting.

No actually, its just an associates but the program is called Mechatronics.

And interesting, you'd say it's a tough program then? Do you need know or take a lot math classes for it? I'm starting my CS degree this fall and I'll have to take soooooo many mathematics courses...  :wacko:

I think that there are some CPU functions that bombard the processor in a way were the calculations cannot be performed efficiently.

The program is way to easy. All you need to know is advanced algebra and HS trig.

The program is ment to give skills to people for skilled labor positions. I'm intelligent and even I can't really compeat with the experienced people.

I don't really know why you'd play oblivion after getting a new card. The game can't max out any somewhat modern GPU unless you apply some stupid heavy effects.

I guess I should of specified lol.  I play in 4k and get like 15 to 30ish fps with better cities, and unique wastelands.   Also I plan to play it with the occulus rift.  My current specs are 17 6700k 32 gig ram SLI 980ti but of course for oblivion I can use only one card.

Even that doesn't make sense because my old amd HD 6970 was able to run 4k oblivion just fine.

I don't even think my 980 ti even reached max clock with BC at 1080p

Odd, any idea why my fps is so low then? out in the world I am over 60 fps easily, but when in towns with better cities, I get like 15-30ish, in some parts of unique wastelands my fps drops down to 15 - 30 as well.  I don't think my hardware is failing because I run every other game just fine.