F&L TTW Convergence Feedback

I've gotten permission from Wasteland Loner and uploaded TTW versions of Metro Carriage Interiors (https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58110/?) and Kentbury Way (https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/58111/?).  I'll try and upload conversions of all the new locations.  I have no practice in weapons so I'll still wait for Roy to work on those patches.

... but man installing these guides is so much work. Did you guys know this? Really, the people that make them should really consider this. :dry:

Ha! Yeah when you have a spare 5 minutes why not whip a couple of batch files that can download all these mods, install them via MO, activate the correct options and remove any crud, test your setup, and then finalize your install by posting all your load order and modlists to ModWatch, run a thorough benchmark and post a few screenshots to highlight the awesomeness of the finished product.

Seriously, you guys, @EssArrBee & @Kelmych, deserve far more praise than you get. After installing both these guides I can attest that they are carefully put together works of genius.

Kudos to the both of you.

I'm trying to get everything up to date and "final" to make something like this easier for everyone. But I maintain a lot of things so it's hard for me to find the time I need to do EVERYTHING. Thankfully some people are starting to step up and do some things like darthbdaman and others. If any of you are experienced modders and want to do PROPER clean conversions of mods for TTW, I would very much welcome you! I can help anyone interested that has experience with FNVEdit and GECK to get through the various snafu's that arise from converting.

I can take the time convert certain mods as long as they are in their final form and the author isn't going to update them anymore, and they can also be contacted for permission.

As for DarN, the xml is very complicated and there is little documentation on it so I've mostly been fumbling around in the dark (where are you DarN?!). I'm working on getting it completed, almost all of the aHud/iHud stuff was already in DarN but not scripted, as well as MUCH more things. It will all be hooked up over time. A side note is that it no longer requires TTW, it will work with Vanilla NV too.

If you guys need help with things, don't hesistate to come over there and ask. Most of us are too glad to help with any issues you have as long you don't want us to hold your hand. ;)

I've tried getting ahold of a few authors myself to make some updates, mostly VT08 who did the ADAM mod since it is packaged in the worse possible way. I just ended up having to get a version with an installer that I keep on my cloud storage and if he ever comes back, I'll figure it out then. Not sure Darn or Imp or Robert are ever coming back. ::(:

I have mucho xEdit experience, but my GECK skills are lacking. I know some GECK stuff, so I'm not an amateur, but that doesn't mean I can start making quests.

So we can just use the DarnUI you made with FNV and all the mods like OneHUD? or do we still need to use the old one with mods? I made a TTW account recently, so as I start getting a bit more into it, I'll make posts/contributions anyway I can.

Seriously, you guys, @EssArrBee & @Kelmych, deserve far more praise than you get. After installing both these guides I can attest that they are carefully put together works of genius insanity.

FTFY

GECK experience doesn't have to be much, you don't need to make quests or anything, just be able to add audio markers (the audio system is different in NV) and recompile scripts and fix any errors that may arise. GECK PU for Fallout 3 GECK hasn't got the script error checking, so often times mods scripts were always broken and need to be fixed. Other than that it's mostly just loading into GECK and then saving again to update the plugin version and some of the records to be in line with the new version. For quest mods, it's a good idea to add stuff to them to support Hardcore mode so you don't die and things like that. Also to add hardcore stats to food items and the like. It depends on entirely on each mod of course.

If a mod has custom climates these can be a pain, I can help with them.

Most of the work is done in xEdit, replacing books, merging form lists, carrying over changes made by TTW, that type of thing.

Oh yes DarN should be compatible with anything, I made a post in the thread for the few things it is not compatible with. I use a great many mods which alter HUD elements and I would be rather annoyed if they no longer functioned. :D

It may be a bit touchy with oHud, but that will all be hooked up anyways as I've been making regular updates to it. Once I get a framework together for moving the elements around, setting hotkeys, and scripting the element fading it will be quite complete. There are already other elements hooked up which oHud does not have. I've also been trying to get alternate texatlas stuff to work, so you can have F3 or NV style brackets as I prefer the F3 style myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm curious, since TTW essentially uses New Vegas as a base, are there any missing elements from Fallout 3, or does New Vegas improve on everything? Also, as 3 uses New Vegas' DT system, what's the balance like? Does it become considerably harder now that supermutants are far stronger and more visible in the wasteland than in the Mojave?

Also, I see that Adonis will be converting the Fallout 3 version of the ragdoll overhaul. Considering I have the New Vegas version, would I be better served by having that one active in my load order to overwrite the TTW version?

Supermutants are harder, but there is a plugin on the TTW forums to change that.  I haven't looked at ragdoll overhaul, but the conversion would be for physics data for things not appearing in New Vegas.  I haven't actually looked at it in FNVedit so I'm not sure how much, if any, is missing from the NV one.  Just go ahead and use the NV one.

• 1 month later...

I assume that many other people use F&LNV for a TTW installation, even if there are probably some other sources of information out there.  I just recently saw that RoyBatty strongly recommends not to clean up the FNV .esms.  Would you consider putting a short warning in the F&LNV guide about not cleaning the .esm if you install TTW, even if TTW isn't a focus of F&LNV, to make sure we skip that step?

Comment from RoyBatty: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/7166-best-of-both-worlds-a-ttw-guide/

Place in the guide: https://wiki.step-project.com/User:EssArrBee/FalloutNewVegas#Clean_the_Bethesda_ESMs

I'm not that far in a new installation, will restart it without cleaning the files just to be sure.

Also, are you still looking for some kind of feedback for MO + F&LNV + TTW?  Or is that useful somewhere else, if at all?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm trying to get everything up to date and "final" to make something like this easier for everyone. But I maintain a lot of things so it's hard for me to find the time I need to do EVERYTHING. Thankfully some people are starting to step up and do some things like darthbdaman and others. If any of you are experienced modders and want to do PROPER clean conversions of mods for TTW, I would very much welcome you! I can help anyone interested that has experience with FNVEdit and GECK to get through the various snafu's that arise from converting.

I can take the time convert certain mods as long as they are in their final form and the author isn't going to update them anymore, and they can also be contacted for permission.

As for DarN, the xml is very complicated and there is little documentation on it so I've mostly been fumbling around in the dark (where are you DarN?!). I'm working on getting it completed, almost all of the aHud/iHud stuff was already in DarN but not scripted, as well as MUCH more things. It will all be hooked up over time. A side note is that it no longer requires TTW, it will work with Vanilla NV too.

If you guys need help with things, don't hesistate to come over there and ask. Most of us are too glad to help with any issues you have as long you don't want us to hold your hand. ;)

Seems unappreciative users have been giving @RoyBatty some abuse over this DarnUI mod and he's ceased all work on it and removed the version from download. Why can't people keep their comments civilised instead of 'biting the hand that feeds them'?

I seriously get p****d off when I hear things like this. @RoyBatty, I know you don't spend much time here much now, but that just saddens me that you have to cop such treatment.