Smarter Combat Music by Verteiron

Kuldebar

Smarter Combat Music by Verteiron

What it does

In the vanilla game, the combat music is often the first sign that you have been targeted by an unseen enemy. Many consider this a break in immersion, as well as conferring an unfair advantage to the player.

SCM does away with that, forcing you remain alert and be aware of your surroundings. SCM keeps track of the player's combat state, as well as that of nearby hostile actors. When enemies detect you but you have not yet seen them, the normal music will continue playing as if all is well. Only upon hitting, being hit or spotting the opponent before they reach you will the combat music play.

You can also use a more subtle cue: the normal background music will fade when you are spotted. This provides a gentle, more immersive warning and allows you to better hear your attacker's approach.

If you are struck by an unseen opponent or while your weapons are sheathed, a startling musical "stinger" can be played before combat music begins, adding tension to the fight.

After a particularly grueling battle with many opponents, a short musical fanfare or reward track can be played to celebrate your victory against overwhelming odds. This can be customized to one of two built-in victory tracks, or a custom track of your own choosing.

All features are optional and can be controlled through SkyUI's MCM. SCM's features will not be applied to dragon fights, ensuring the music is played.

Posted Image

Little nervous about the "brawl bug" comment:

Problem: Opponents are attacking me during brawls.
Solution: This is the "brawl bug", and it affects nearly any mod that uses Cloak spells to apply scripts. I've taken some steps to avoid it but if you're running into this you have a couple of options. You can either disable the mod temporarily by unchecking "Enable Combat Tracking" before the brawl, or you can install Brawl Bugs Patch.

I hate that this might happen but I guess it's the price to pay for combat tracking capability necessary for the mod to work.

I'll be tracking this mod and wait for braver souls to venture forth with it first.

Edited by Kuldebar

If it does what it says, by using iHUD to remove everything (except health, way too hard guessing when you're about to die) you can actually have a really immersive experience, Definitely going to try it out!

• 1 month later...

This is a brilliant mod!  Short of having no combat music, you can now be ambushed by enemies because they are not announce by the stupid music.  Whilst keeping the option of the music fanfare once combat is well and truly engaged.  

The only argument against the mod is that you can just turn off the music altogether... but that would be very bland.

It's not hard to stop the mod temporarily to avoid the brawl bug.

Highly Recommended.