Immersive Player Dialogue by JeremeW5257

Kuldebar

Immersive Player Dialogue by JeremeW5257

Changes many of the commonly used phrases:

Before...you would say... Now...you say...

Before...Are you ok? Now...Are you well?

Before...What is this place? Now...What manner of place is this?

Before...What's going on here? Now...Tell me, what has occurred?

Before...Where did he go? Now...Where might I find him?

Before...What are you talking about? Now...What is this you speak of?

Before...I'll do it. Now...It shall be done.

Before...I can't do that right now. Now...Perhaps another time.

Before...I don't have the time for this. Now...I have not the time for this.

Before...I'm not interested. Now...That does not interest me.

Before...Thank you. Now...I'm grateful.

Before...I'm sorry. Now...My apologies.

Before...I need to talk to you. Now...I must speak with you.

Before...Why do you? Now...For what reason do you?

Before...What's going on here? Now...For what reason are you here?

Before...What do you mean? Now...What is this you speak of?

Before...I'm looking for... Now...I'm in search of...

Before...Hold on. Now...One moment.

Before...Maybe, what do I need to do? Now...Perhaps, what must be done?

Before...It's over. Now...It has come to an end.

Before...It's mine. Now...It belongs to me.

Before...I'll take care of this. Now...I'll see that it's done.

Before...How does it work? Now...How do I make use of it?

Before...What will you do now? Now...What will come of you?

Before...Are you serious? Now...Surely you jest.

Before...He said something about... Now...He made mention of...

Before...It's the only way. Now...There is no other way.

Before...Get out of here. Now...You must flee this place.

Before...I do not know. Now...I'm uncertain at the moment.

Changes in Follower Dialogue:

Before...Follow me. Now...Come with me.

Before...I need you to do something. Now...You must do something for me.

Before...I need to trade some things with you. Now...Carry these items. They may be of good use.

Before...Wait here. Now...Stay here, but remain alert.

Before...It's time to go. Now...We're leaving now. Make haste!

Before...It's time for us to part ways. Now...We must part ways from here.

OK, I admit, I have always been annoyed by the phrases used in the game, way too anachronistic and casual for my taste. I'll be tracking this mod, probably won't use it this play through but in my next for sure.

Most of the changes seem spot on, a few I don't care for... Example: adding "for a price" to the end of "I could get recover it for you" -it is not reflective of the original statement when you offer to get the Riverwood Trader's Dragon Claw back.

I feel this depends too much on how you RP. The vanilla dialogue seems to include more variety of characters while IPD seems to go for the scholarly character. Still, nice little mod.

phazer, I love killing Lydia too much to change that

English/History major here.

Most of these changes are, honestly, fairly terrible. Not that Skyrim's conversation system is in any way perfect, but this is "I, Claudius" levels of ridiculous.

Is your character a pompous clown living in the 19th century thinking he's talking like a medieval king of old? Because that's what it sounds like.

It actually sounds more out of place half the time, not only for Skyrim, but for actual "old-school" English.

Just my two cents,

Ygg

English/History major here.

Most of these changes are, honestly, fairly terrible. Not that Skyrim's conversation system is in any way perfect, but this is "I, Claudius" levels of ridiculous.

Is your character a pompous clown living in the 19th century thinking he's talking like a medieval king of old? Because that's what it sounds like.

It actually sounds more out of place half the time, not only for Skyrim, but for actual "old-school" English.

Just my two cents,

Ygg

After looking at them, I agree...some are quite awful...overly wordy...glaringly pseudo-archaic in nature. It's the textual equivalent of of "over-acting".

Having stated this, the mod is based on a very worthwhile idea which needs addressing in Skyrim.

Default Skyrim has some truly cringe inducing replies and phrases from the player character.  Some make you sound like an idiot or simpleton, others like a rude mfcker.

I'd prefer a more balanced approach, not overly flowery, nothing jarring with a tighter/more concise style..

I'll probably tackle this as a project in the near future.

A couple of different version might be nice:

1. Thief, rogue, or other lowlife

2. Educated Mage Or alchemist type.

3. Noble warrior or maybe exiled ranger type.

I would like to see a framework that could read text the player (or modder) could unset - preferably something easy to edit like .txt or .ini.

I'd prefer a more balanced approach, not overly flowery, nothing jarring with a tighter/more concise style..

I'll probably tackle this as a project in the near future.

A couple of different version might be nice:1. Thief, rogue, or other lowlife2. Educated Mage Or alchemist type.3. Noble warrior or maybe exiled ranger type.I would like to see a framework that could read text the player (or modder) could unset - preferably something easy to edit like .txt or .ini.

I just want to add my support for this idea.  My original intention was to add in dialogue options like this to The Choice is Yours, but due to time constraints and other mod projects, I never got around to implementing it.  I still think it would be an amazing mod if done properly.  I like the idea of being able to customize the dialogue based on your character's type or personality.  I think this might even be possible within a single mod by duplicating the dialogue responses and adding certain conditions, then creating options via MCM.  I don't know if it would be possible using a .txt or .ini file.  I would be willing to help out with some of the CK stuff if someone else wants to come up with a list of appropriate dialogue changes.  

Am I the only one who imagined Chris Hemsworth as Thor saying those things?

Hence the problem? :p

But, it's a matter of personal taste, kind of like those contemporay English translations of the King James Version of the Bible which was at the time a translation from Greek and Latin which had been translated from Hebrew, etc. Out of all those, the KJV seems to "fit" better, but objectively there's no reason to think that...and, no I'm not religious, but I am the son of a preacher man.

Perhaps OT, but my understand us that KJV was deliberately written in that style; it's not just that it's old, it's that they consciously chose that style to evoke a certain response. I think that's what the mod author was going for here, that he falls short of the standard set by one of the greatest works of literature (looking at KJV as lit rather than just a religious text) is perhaps not surprising.

Perhaps OT, but my understand us that KJV was deliberately written in that style; it's not just that it's old, it's that they consciously chose that style to evoke a certain response. I think that's what the mod author was going for here, that he falls short of the standard set by one of the greatest works of literature (looking at KJV as lit rather than just a religious text) is perhaps not surprising.

The KJV was translated into the contemporaneous style of the day, but yes, it was written in the formal manner and not the guttersnipe doggerel of the day.