A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Whats the all in one vanilla home remodel mod you're referring to?

This https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/44410/? ??

Yup, I've only checked out Lakeview Manor so far, but that was great. Should pair nicely with Aemer's refuge since that has tele-portals to the vanilla homes once you own them. And the Druid's Den, of course, so I can give audience to my loyal subjects from a proper throne.

Do you guys have any guide of merging esp(s)? I am very confused in which situation we should check or uncheck "Renumber FormIDs"? Thanks

No we don't sorry. What I can tell you though is that many of the mods included in REGS, as well as its patches, do not lend themselves very well for merging. It'd be possible but as Kelmych has said it requires manually checking the FormID's. Moreover, merging navmeshes is a no-go and many mods do have edited (or new) navmeshes. 

Seeing however that Neovalen has been merging several mods in his SRLE guide, at some point I might look into it for REGS. That said, if I ever were to do that it would be at the moment when the New Gameplay Overhaul pack is finished. As a final playthrough of Skyrim I want to do SRLE + REGS + Gameplay packs (and some other mods) and if that combination results in over 255 esps, then I'll get to it. 

• +1 1

No we don't sorry. What I can tell you though is that many of the mods included in REGS, as well as its patches, do not lend themselves very well for merging. It'd be possible but as Kelmych has said it requires manually checking the FormID's. Moreover, merging navmeshes is a no-go and many mods do have edited (or new) navmeshes. Seeing however that Neovalen has been merging several mods in his SRLE guide, at some point I might look into it for REGS. That said, if I ever were to do that it would be at the moment when the New Gameplay Overhaul pack is finished. As a final playthrough of Skyrim I want to do SRLE + REGS + Gameplay packs (and some other mods) and if that combination results in over 255 esps, then I'll get to it.

You will get over 255 :)

The only way to know for certain is to look at the mods in TES5Edit to see whether they happen to use the same FormIDs, and this can be quite tedious.  Generally this means you need to look for forum posts by users who have tried merging the mods. Often it isn't practical (at least for most of us) to merge some mods (e.g. mods with significant conflicts, mods with overlapping navmesh records)

I have asked Mator if he could put in a check for overlapping FormID's when you merge without renumbering for the upcoming 1.7 version.  He said he would see if he had time to get to it, so we'll see.  

I have seen a lot of mentions that you can't or shouldn't merge mods with navmesh edits, but I disagree. Navmeshes in general were a problem with older versions of the merge script, but as of 1.6 those problems are gone.  Merging mods with navmesh edits is no different than letting one of them override the other in the load order...the last one will win.  As long as you have the mods in the correct order, there is no problem with merging mods with navmesh edits that wouldn't already pop up from general navmesh incompatibility between the unmerged mods.

Edited by noobzor
  • +1 1

For what it's worth, my experience has been the same as noobzor.  I haven't had any problems with a merging a mod that has navmesh edits and have found that the last edit takes priority, which is no different than if the mods were unmerged in the load order.  I could very well be wrong, however, but I've run all over skyrim testing my set up out and have not seen anything out of the ordinary or encountered any problems when playing with my merged mods.  

If anyone is interested, here are the merges I have done.  I was hesitant to share these until now but I have tested them quite extensively and have not had any problems at all.  If anybody uses these and does notice something is amiss, however, please let me know so I can look into it (with MPs this large there very well could be something missing in game that I just haven't noticed.)

https://pastebin.com/5aaADCPd

I have asked Mator if he could put in a check for overlapping FormID's when you merge without renumbering for the upcoming 1.7 version.  He said he would see if he had time to get to it, so we'll see.  

I have seen a lot of mentions that you can't or shouldn't merge mods with navmesh edits, but I disagree. Navmeshes in general were a problem with older versions of the merge script, but as of 1.6 those problems are gone.  Merging mods with navmesh edits is no different than letting one of them override the other in the load order...the last one will win.  As long as you have the mods in the correct order, there is no problem with merging mods with navmesh edits that wouldn't already pop up from general navmesh incompatibility between the unmerged mods.

Good on you for making the ask. I found when merging key REGS files that have navmesh corrections (see my post above, and the response) that it wasn't as simple as the lat one winning (or the winning wasn't as desired) since it left me with holes in terrain south of Whiterun (that 1st step is a doozy, at least water down there, way way down there).

Good on you for making the ask. I found when merging key REGS files that have navmesh corrections (see my post above, and the response) that it wasn't as simple as the lat one winning (or the winning wasn't as desired) since it left me with holes in terrain south of Whiterun (that 1st step is a doozy, at least water down there, way way down there).

Can you give more details? Thanks.

Is there anything in here that could possibly conflict with Forgotten Magic Redone and the illusion double-casting perk? Mine doesn't seem to want to work correctly. Going to do some more experimenting tonight, but just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced anything similar? I've looked through TES5Edit and the only conflicts with my load order from that mod seem to be lighting and some worldspace edits, but whenever I enable it dual-casting just acts like single-casting. I have disabled Undeath and The Last Altar and tested it. I thought for sure it was The Last Altar, but those don't seem to be the issue.

Edited by zombiecurse

What you describe (holes in the terrain) would come from landscape record edits, not navmesh edits, but the two often go hand-in-hand (landscape defines the geometry of the land, navmesh defines how NPC's navigate it).  I have not experienced any issues like this that came up only after merging and were not present with mods in the same order before merging.  But, it is possible...Skyrim is a complex system and even Arthmoor isn't 100% sure how everything works.

If there is anything that gets lost from merging, and it isn't as simple as the last one winning, that would mean that something has to be autoforwarded from the records that are overridden.  I don't see anything related to landscape or navmesh records in Arthmoor's list of records that get auto-forwarded.  That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, though.

Definitely, anything that gets merged needs to be tested.  Anything related to navmesh or landscape edits coming from different mods in the same general area should at least get a good run-through with some companions in tow (to see them traverse the navmesh).

"I left out the fixed Dagger Alley, Dawn of Windhelm, Raven Rock as the contain repaired navmeshes, and of course REGS Cities + CRF patch as previously discussed."

Could be landscape edits were part & parcel to repairing the navmesh issues, in any event leaving these out of my merge seemed to solve my problem

Pro Tip (from Double You): After running the merge script; EXIT TES5Edit, re-launch TES5Edit loading your new merge plugin, THEN ERROR CHECK. I wasn't finding errors in my previous patches because I was error checking without closing the application & it wasn't properly detecting them (even though I was only selecting the merged patch, maybe because the original mods were still loaded in TES5Edit?).

Pro Tip (from Double You): After running the merge script; EXIT TES5Edit, re-launch TES5Edit loading your new merge plugin, THEN ERROR CHECK. I wasn't finding errors in my previous patches because I was error checking without closing the application & it wasn't properly detecting them (even though I was only selecting the merged patch, maybe because the original mods were still loaded in TES5Edit?).

Yes, definitely do this!

There is a particularly insidious issue when you merge esp's that are not contiguous in your load order in TES5Edit (e.g. there are other esp's in between them that are not being merged), and it very commonly causes the merged esp to not save the master references correctly and you end up with all kinds of unresolved references.  It can save you a lot of headache (and seriously cut down on the number of issues that come up after save, reopen, check for errors) if you make sure all of the esp's to be merged are right next to each other at the bottom of the list in TES5Edit before merging.

• +1 1

Yes, definitely do this!There is a particularly insidious issue when you merge esp's that are not contiguous in your load order in TES5Edit (e.g. there are other esp's in between them that are not being merged), and it very commonly causes the merged esp to not save the master references correctly and you end up with all kinds of unresolved references. It can save you a lot of headache (and seriously cut down on the number of issues that come up after save, reopen, check for errors) if you make sure all of the esp's to be merged are right next to each other at the bottom of the list in TES5Edit before merging.

@noobzor You shared your merged esp(s) list earlier. Can you remember which ones you choose renumber formID when merged? Thanks.