A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

I think Nernies adds a heap of buildings to the outskirts of Whiterun (across from the stables). I downloaded all of the REGS city overhaul mods in one go. You can imagine the shock going from vanilla to super charged :) But I never know which is which unless I click on them with the console open.

I may rebuild my ASIS patch when I get home tonight to forego the perks and spells as well. I thought the world would feel a little more "real" if the npcs could use a lot of the same spells I can, but if RoTE gives the enemies some cool new abilities, I'll probably just stick with that. So generally, you're just using ASIS and the improved inis to up your spawn rates? Are you using anything else, like the AI patch or the NPC potion thing?

Sorry, I have been out for a few days.

I did have to make some tweaks because of CTD's sometimes.  One thing I did was exclude all of the animals from ASIS (e.g. all the the skyTEST and Real Wildlife and More Village Animals added to the mod exclusions for increased/random spawns), but I thought Egg ended up doing the same in his ini's.  I also had to turn off the AI tweaks in ASIS...those just did not play well.  I kept all of the spell and perk stuff turned on, turned off the random spawns (it leads to some weird situations anyway), and toned down the increased spawns a little bit (no chance of 4 or 5 extras, higher chance of only 1 extra).  I do use the potion thing.  With those settings, I am running smoothly.  

Edit:  Oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important part to improving the stability of my game...

As much as it pained me to do so, I dropped Hunterborn, Frostfall, and Realistic Needs and Diseases from my load order.  As soon as I dropped these from my game, my random crashes (which weren't all that common in the first place) completely disappeared.  I can only attribute this to putting too much strain on the scripting system due to having tons of stuff installed (lots of enemy mods, DCO, CWO, various magic mods...there is only so much Skyrim can do).

I wrestled with that decision for a long time, and it wasn't even for performance/stability reasons that I dropped them.  In the end, while I enjoy the challenge they added, they are ultimately just time sinks in a game that I hardly have enough time to play anyway.  With those mods, I found myself spending a notable portion of my playtime gathering wood, hunting animals, looking for food and clean water, and so on.  The challenge of those things paled in comparison to taking down a fort full of necromancers, or fighting gaggle of dragons (thanks to DCO and DD), yet they were taking up almost as much of my game time.  Basically, I was trying to play two different games at the same time...one that was about survival in a harsh world, and the other one about unadulterated white-knuckle combat.  I decided to cut out one of those and focus on the other, and I do not regret it.

Edited by noobzor
  • +1 2

Sorry, I have been out for a few days.

I did have to make some tweaks because of CTD's sometimes.  One thing I did was exclude all of the animals from ASIS (e.g. all the the skyTEST and Real Wildlife and More Village Animals added to the mod exclusions for increased/random spawns), but I thought Egg ended up doing the same in his ini's.  I also had to turn off the AI tweaks in ASIS...those just did not play well.  I kept all of the spell and perk stuff turned on, turned off the random spawns (it leads to some weird situations anyway), and toned down the increased spawns a little bit (no chance of 4 or 5 extras, higher chance of only 1 extra).  I do use the potion thing.  With those settings, I am running smoothly.  

Edit:  Oh yeah, I almost forgot the most important part to improving the stability of my game...

As much as it pained me to do so, I dropped Hunterborn, Frostfall, and Realistic Needs and Diseases from my load order.  As soon as I dropped these from my game, my random crashes (which weren't all that common in the first place) completely disappeared.  I can only attribute this to putting too much strain on the scripting system due to having tons of stuff installed (lots of enemy mods, DCO, CWO, various magic mods...there is only so much Skyrim can do).

I wrestled with that decision for a long time, and it wasn't even for performance/stability reasons that I dropped them.  In the end, while I enjoy the challenge they added, they are ultimately just time sinks in a game that I hardly have enough time to play anyway.  With those mods, I found myself spending a notable portion of my playtime gathering wood, hunting animals, looking for food and clean water, and so on.  The challenge of those things paled in comparison to taking down a fort full of necromancers, or fighting gaggle of dragons (thanks to DCO and DD), yet they were taking up almost as much of my game time.  Basically, I was trying to play two different games at the same time...one that was about survival in a harsh world, and the other one about unadulterated white-knuckle combat.  I decided to cut out one of those and focus on the other, and I do not regret it.

I actually don't use  any of the mods you listed off there. Only thing I use that would qualify in there is Enhanced Blood. I'm going to rebuild my load order without it and see if it helps . . . it's weird, because I was fighting around 10 enemies out in the wilderness and it was fine, but then I went to take a swing at a lone bandit by the Embershard Mine and I CTDed. Checked my papyrus logs and the last thing that happened was a blood script and the notification that "You are the winnah! #1" and "You are the winnah #29." Not even sure what the hell that's all about.

I actually don't use  any of the mods you listed off there. Only thing I use that would qualify in there is Enhanced Blood. I'm going to rebuild my load order without it and see if it helps . . . it's weird, because I was fighting around 10 enemies out in the wilderness and it was fine, but then I went to take a swing at a lone bandit by the Embershard Mine and I CTDed. Checked my papyrus logs and the last thing that happened was a blood script and the notification that "You are the winnah! #1" and "You are the winnah #29." Not even sure what the hell that's all about.

Weird.  I also had removed Enhanced Blood Textures, Deadly Spell Impacts, and Burn Freeze Shock effects to improve script latency.  Something about the combination of those three was playing hell on my script lag, so I just axed all 3.

I think I'm doing something wrong... the fletcher building in Falkreach looks like it's colliding with some other building, which looks like it's a load order error. Can someone post theirs, just to see if something's wrong with mine?

Are you sure you installed all the relevant ETaC patches and the REGS patches? 

Also, some of the ETaC patches that come with the installer of that mod do not have a BUM sorting rule specified in the guide so make sure you load them after their last master esp in the load order.

Edit Here's my load order for REGS +SRLE

hese plugins are recognised by BOSS and have been sorted according to its masterlist. Please read any attached messages and act on any that require action.

Skyrim.esm Active
Update.esm Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev}}
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp Version 2.0.4a Active
Dawnguard.esm Active
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp Version 2.0.4 Active
HearthFires.esm Active
Unofficial Hearthfire Patch.esp Version 2.0.4 Active
Dragonborn.esm Active
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp Version 2.0.4a Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}
Falskaar.esm Version 1.1.4 Active
Wyrmstooth.esp Version 1.10 Active
Skyrim Project Optimization - Full Version.esm Active
ClimatesOfTamriel.esm Version 3.1 Active
ETaC - RESOURCES.esm Active
WinterholdDestruction.esm Active
XFLMain.esm Active
Note: For safe mod uninstall see special uninstallation instructions on mod page.
REGS - Resources.esm Active
DSAMG - Miraak Music Fixes.esp Active
RelightingSkyrim.esp Active
Relighting Skyrim - Update.esp Active
Relighting Skyrim - HearthFire.esp Active
Weapons & Armor Fixes_Remade.esp Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev, Stats}}
Clothing & Clutter Fixes.esp Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev, Relev, Stats}}
Chesko_Frostfall.esp Active
Better Dynamic Snow.esp Active
AOS.esp Active
Note: See also AOS compatibility patches page on Nexus.
Immersive Sounds - Compendium.esp Active
ISCompendium AOS Patch.esp Active
mintylightningmod.esp Active
MintyLightningMod_COT_Patch.esp Active
Cutting Room Floor.esp Version 1.0.6 Active
SMIM-Merged-All.esp Active
TradeBarter.esp Active
AMatterOfTime.esp Version 2.00 Active
AshRocks.esp Active
Bring Out Your Dead.esp Version 1.2.5 Active
Chesko_WearableLantern.esp Active
Dual Sheath Redux.esp Active
Requires: Java Runtime Environment 7 update 17+
EpisodeParallax.esp Active
FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.esp Active
HoldBorderBanners.esp Active
Moss Rocks.esp Active
Moss Rocks_DB.esp Active
PilgrimsDelight.esp Active
Point The Way.esp Version 1.0.2 Active
SDO Full-LOD - Giant Campfires.esp Active
SDO Full-LOD - The Morthal Swamp Light.esp Active
SDO Full-LOD - Whiterun Trundra Creeks.esp Active
Skyrim Immersive Creatures.esp Version v6.5.2 Active
Skyrim Immersive Creatures - DLC2.esp Version v6.5.2 Active
Skyrim Flora Overhaul.esp Active
SulfurRocks.esp Active
WetandCold.esp Version 1.41 Active
WetandCold - Ashes.esp Version 1.08 Active
WetandCold - Holidays.esp Version 1.06 Active
WEBS extended.esp Active
Footprints.esp Active
Footprints - Ash.esp Active
RaceMenu.esp Active
RaceMenuPlugin.esp Active
Note: RaceMenuPlugin is optional and provides support to alter Height, Breast, Glute and Biceps. If you experience issues with it, disable RaceMenuPlugin.esp and inform the author.
RaceMenuOverlays.esp Active
towConversation.esp Active
UIExtensions.esp Active
SkyUI.esp Version 4.1 Active
iHUD.esp Active
AHZmoreHUD.esp Version 2.1.2 Active
iNeed.esp Version 1.21 Active
Cloaks.esp Active
Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp Active
1nivWICCloaksCRAFT.esp Version 2.3 Active
Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.esp Version 7.1 Active
Improved Closefaced Helmets_Legendary.esp Active
imp_helm_imp.esp Active
imp_guard_helm.esp Active
NightingaleArrows.esp Active
Complete Crafting Overhaul_Remade.esp Active
ISCompendium CCO Patch.esp Active
DeadlyDragons.esp Active
AdalMatar.esp Active
Note: V1.1+: This file contains 3 deleted NavMesh records that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically, and which are reported by the mod author to be harmless artifacts from Creation Kit export.
BetterDGEntrance.esp Version 1.0 Active
CollegeOfWinterholdImmersive.esp Active
Warning: Enhanced Lights and FX alters some lighting in the College of Winterhold which is incompatible with this mod. Please see Immersive College of Winterhold's Readme for how to alter Enhanced Lights and FX yourself to make it compatible.
CWIDawnDragonPatch.esp Active
CWINPCImprovements.esp Active
DragonmournInn.esp Active
Warning: This file contains 4 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
DSAMG - Greybeard Fix.esp Active
Gildergreen Regrown.esp Version 1.2.6 Active
high hrothgar overhaul.esp Active
Immersive Orc Strongholds.esp Version 0.54 Active
Inconsequential NPCs.esp Active
Inns and Taverns.esp Active
Warning: This file contains 1 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
DawnofRiften.esp Active
Nightingale Hall.esp Active
OBIS.esp Active
OBISDB.esp Active
Run For Your Lives.esp Version 2.0.1 Active
When Vampires Attack.esp Version 2.0 Active
TheDomain.esp Active
Warning: This file contains 1 deleted NavMesh record(s) that TES5Edit cannot repair automatically and it may cause problems with your game. NavMesh deletions should be reported to the mod author. A guide to repairing NavMesh deletions with TES5Edit is located here.
The Paarthurnax Dilemma.esp Version 1.2.8 Active
SkyrimCoinReplacerRedux.esp Active
Bash Tag suggestion(s): {{BASH: Delev}}
Book Covers Skyrim.esp Active
Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp Active
Note: Do not clean. "Dirty" edits are intentional and required for the mod to function.
GuardAnimationsGDO.esp Active
WeaponsArmorFixes_GuardDialogueOverhaul_Patch.esp Active
SkyFalls + SkyMills + DG + DB + FS + WT.esp Version 3.0.esp Active
SkyFalls DB + FS Small Waterfalls.esp Active
SFO - Dragonborn.esp Active
SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp Active
Note: Uninstall old version of Skyrim Flora Overhaul if using SFO - Expanded Diversity.esp
Convenient Horses.esp Version 14950 Active
Note: Do not clean. "Dirty" edits are intentional and required for the mod to function.
dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp Active
Requires: 0 Dragonborn-Dawnguard_Compatibility Patch Dawnguard + Dragonborn.
ISCompendium Enhanced Blood Patch.esp Active
dD-DG-DB-Immersive Creatures EBT Patch.esp Active
aMidianBorn_ContentAddon.esp Active
REGS - Better Docks.esp Active
RBB Long and Row Boats - REGS.esp Active
RBB - Row Boats - Hearthfire Hotfix.esp Active
ETaC - Complete.esp Active
ETaC - Complete WC Holidays Patch.esp Active
ETaC - Complete Taverns Patch.esp Active
ExpandedWinterholdRuins.esp Active
ETaC - Complete EWDR Patch.esp Active
Helgen Reborn.esp Version 105.3 Active
RavenRockExpanded.esp Active
Better City Entrances - All in one.esp Active
Understone Keep Repair.esp Active
HearthfireChimneys - ETaC.esp Active
HearthfireChimneysFalskaar.esp Active
UniqueBorderGates-All.esp Active
UniqueBorderGates-All-BetterDGEntrance.esp Active
UniqueBorderGates-All-PointTheWay.esp Active
Prometheus_No_snow_Under_the_roof.esp Version 2.3 Active
Prometheus_NSUTR BDS Patch.esp Version 2.3 Active
Prometheus_NSUTR Falskaar Dock.esp Version 2.3 Active
DawnofWindhelm.esp Active
BFT Ships and Carriages.esp Active
ETaC - Complete BFT Patch.esp Active
Provincial Courier Service.esp Version 1.2.2 Active
RealisticRoomRental.esp Active
REGS - Cities.esp Active
REGS Patch - CRF.esp Active
ETaC - Complete NSutR Patch.esp Active
REGS Patch - NSutR + RRR.esp Active
EnhancedLightsandFX.esp Active
ELFX - Exteriors.esp Active
ELFX - Dawnguard.esp Active
ELFX - Dragonborn.esp Active
ETaC - Complete ELFX Patch.esp Active
AOS2_CoT3_1_patch.esp Active
CoT-WeatherPatch.esp Version 40.esp Active
Vividian ENB.esp Active
BFSEffects.esp Version 3.6 Active
DeadlySpellImpacts.esp Active
dD-No Spinning Death Animation.esp Active
Beards.esp Version 28363 Active
Brows.esp Version 30411 Active
TheEyesOfBeauty.esp Version 9 Active
The Eyes Of Beauty - Elves Edition.esp Active
3DNPC.esp Version 3.06 Active
REGS Patch - Riften NavFull.esp Version 3.4.2 Active
REGS Patch - 3DNPC.esp Active
MoonAndStar_MAS.esp Active
RRR_3DNPC-Patch.esp Active
XFLConfig.esp Active
XFLDialogue.esp Active
XFLPanel.esp Active
XFLPlugins.esp Active
3DNPCEFF.esp Active
Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp Version 2.4 Active
dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Realistic.esp Active
Note: Ragdolls will conflict with other mods that change the skeleton.nif. Check Custom Skeleton Replacers for compatibly with other skeleton.nif.
RealisticWaterTwo.esp Active
Atlas Legendary.esp Version 1.0 Active
Atlas Compass Tweaks.esp Version 1.0 Active
CWIELnFXPatch.esp Active
RRR_ELFX-Patch.esp Active
CCO_Frostfall_Patch.esp Active
CCO_SIC_Patch.esp Active
CCO_WAFTrueWeapons_Patch.esp Active
ELE-Interior Lighting.esp Active
ELE DG-Interior Lighting.esp Active
ELE HF-Interior Lighting.esp Active
ELE DB-Interior Lighting.esp Active
SR Conflict Resolution.esp Active
REGS - SRLE Compatibility Patch.esp Active
Bashed Patch, 0.esp Version 6/15/2014 23:47:19 Active
Dual Sheath Redux Patch.esp Active

Edited by Nearox

Weird.  I also had removed Enhanced Blood Textures, Deadly Spell Impacts, and Burn Freeze Shock effects to improve script latency.  Something about the combination of those three was playing hell on my script lag, so I just axed all 3.

I agree completely regarding the survival suite of mods, IMHO they deserve their own profile/playthrough as they detract from an enhanced combat & enemies profile/playthrough.

Regarding EBT/DSI/BFS, I'm doing fine combining those with each other plus ACE Realistic Fighting/Deadly Combat/Stealth Skills Revisted and DCO/DD plus SIC/HLE & SkyTEST. I should stress scripting latency is fine so far (emphasis "so far") as I haven't made it past level 10-ish in my bug squashing playtesting. I seem to have achieved stability primarily through revisiting and rebuilding my merged script patches (more on that in its own Support Post). I'll let you know if I run into trouble at mid-level with spells flying, or if blood and spell fx continue to play nice.

Wondering, when the guide says:

"Generally speaking, the REGS patches and custom esp files should go near the bottom of your loader order but BEFORE any lighting mods you might have (ELFX, ELE, and RLO). Please do the following in the order stipulated here (depending on your mod choice you may or may not have all the files listed):"

Is this talking about in the left pane or the right pane in MO? I have them organized this way in the left pane in MO, but BOSS wants to put all the REGS patches after ELFX and RLO in the right pane.

Left pane = install order. Right pane = load order.

Follow the instructions per specific .esp as layed out throughout the guide as well as at the final section. A Couple of ETaC ESPs are not in the guide atm but you should put those right after the master that is lwoest in the load order. generally they go after ETaC- Complete.esp if I'm not mistaken except for the etac-elfx patch which goes after elfx since elfx is lower in the load order. 

Concerning Adorning Whiterun, that mod seems to change the interiors, which is something I'd stay away from, personally. (ETaC for instance won't affect the existing interiors in the cities, because that's just asking for a compatibility hell)Castle Volkihar Redux works with REGS, I've tried it, but it just felt op. Still waiting on (or hoping, rather) for Immersive and customizable Castle Volkihar to be updated so I can include that mod in the pack...

Yes, I followed the instructions at the end. The two REGS patches that are coming after ELFX are REGS Patch - 3DNPC.esp and REGS Patch - Riften NavFull.esp. They're both set to some after 3DNPC.esp, but 3DNPC.esp comes after all my ELFX files in my load order.

If you load 3DNPC after ELFX Enhancer or after ELE, then all of the cells affected by interesting NPCs (and there's a lot of them) won't have the correct lighting values, and will look like they do in the vanilla game.

Concerning Adorning Whiterun, that mod seems to change the interiors, which is something I'd stay away from, personally. (ETaC for instance won't affect the existing interiors in the cities, because that's just asking for a compatibility hell)Castle Volkihar Redux works with REGS, I've tried it, but it just felt op. Still waiting on (or hoping, rather) for Immersive and customizable Castle Volkihar to be updated so I can include that mod in the pack...If you load 3DNPC after ELFX Enhancer or after ELE, then all of the cells affected by interesting NPCs (and there's a lot of them) won't have the correct lighting values, and will look like they do in the vanilla game.

Is it normal for BOSS to be sorting it like this? It sounds like I'm going to have to put an override in for 3DNPCs. Not sure I want to go against BOSS on that one.