A Real Explorer's Guide to Skyrim

Wow,  I wish I had found out about REGS earlier; nothing like doing blindly what others have already got down to a science.

I've searched the thread and seen no mention of Wheeze's Dungeon Pack, Explorer Dungeon Pack, or Solstheim - The Lost Levels.  Have these ever received consideration?  Are they outside the scope of REGS?

In fact, I rarely see mention of these packs; is there there some sort of issue with them which people avoid them for?

Also, has The Evil Mansion received any consideration?  I haven't been able to play much modded Skyrim (I'm far from a stable game, I think), but I have managed to play around with this and it is fantastic.

Great that you're liking REGS :)

As redirishlord mentioned already, judging from the comments of 2 of the mods I would definitely advise against using them. Overwriting USKP scripts is generally a bad idea (barring some exceptions of good mods) and deleted navmeshes would need fixing. Moreover, one of the more important criteria for including a mod was that it have properly voiced NPCs (preferrably unique) and some kind of meaning in the world (not only via radiant quests). Just adding dungeons with enemies for the sake of having more dungeons with enemies is not something that'd be part of regs. Also 1 of the mods seems to add an exterior area, which would require extensive testing. Also, those mods were last updated in the early half of 2012. While that does not necessarily mean there are issues with it, they do lack nearly 2 years of updates, compatibility and generally better modding standards. Finally, probably 90% of the highest quality mods are already included in REGS and provide a lot of extra content already. I don't think adding new dungeon mods will add a lot more to your game.

In short: I'm pretty sure you can use those mods and you may not notice any issue. However you would have to try that out for yourself (and if possible please report here on the result). Just be sure to load them up in tes5edit along with your current esps and check what records they override. 

@ CJ3211 or anyone in the know, I tore some holes in my Whiterun, specifically the farms to the south. It may be because I merged the REGS CRF patch, I think its to far west for the Apple Garden but I merged that too. Any thoughts on what would leave me without some triangular patches in those fields, it was amusing kiting a young tundra troll into one but I think I've lost farmers and / or companions when I wasn't looking.

You can merge Apple Garden because it doesn't have navmeshes, but you cannot merge any esp that has navmeshes that affect the same area. You can only do that sucessfully in the CK. The REGS CRF patch definitely shouldn't be merged because it has a new navmesh for the Whiterun area to make CRF compatible with Nernie's. It also contains some landscape compatibiltiy fixes so that might explain the holes you are seeing. 

• +1 1

Thanks for the links. I'm excited to try the Solsteim Lost Levels (Bloodmoon FTW), The Evil Mansion sounds interesting, but it may conflict with ETaC's Morthal (but that's modular).

I've been running it with ETaC.  Looking at ETaC's description page, it looks like missjennabee removed Morthal from the pack for a full rebuild.  I guess that's why I haven't had any problem.s

Thanks for the links. I hadn't heard of them before and the two dungeon packs and Solstheim dungeons look quite good. To answer your question, the comments about the rogue scripts in the Wheezes dungeon and CTD's in the Explorer Dungeon make me think twice before downloading. I can't speak for everyone though. So I'll wait patiently for redirishlord to test and report back :)

Geeze, wow.  I think these must've been some of the mods I downloaded before I actually got the game and started taking game stability seriously.  I'll be deactivating Wheeze's & the Explorer pack; REGS has given me a wealth of new content already.

Before I found REGS I had a lot of home/location/quest mods and hadn't had a stable run since I first installed Skyrim.  Now I'm seeing that quite a few of them have incompatibilities or are just poorly written/have errors.  For example, as beautiful as Moonpath to Elswyr is, I think it just lacks polish; I'm torn on whether or not I want to keep it.  

On the other hand, I'm looking to add W&C Holidays back in, but I'm worried about the W&C scripts getting stuck in my save even if I turn off it's functionality right away.  It's good to know ahead of time that it'll be compatible (w/ patches)

We already looked at some of his mods during REGS development, and the consensus was then that they weren't to be included. Some of them have conflicting navmeshes with REGS mods, which would need fixing in the CK, others add only generic NPCs (and a follower) for the sake of adding generic NPCs... Which falls outside of the intentions of REGS.

Besides, if you have inconsequential NPCs and 3DNPC you will already have a lot of extra, uniquely voiced, NPCs with numerous new quests and locations tied to them. 

• +1 1

You can merge Apple Garden because it doesn't have navmeshes, but you cannot merge any esp that has navmeshes that affect the same area. You can only do that sucessfully in the CK. The REGS CRF patch definitely shouldn't be merged because it has a new navmesh for the Whiterun area to make CRF compatible with Nernie's. It also contains some landscape compatibiltiy fixes so that might explain the holes you are seeing. 

Outstanding, I'll keep AG merged, but will free the REGS CRF patch. I also use UG&G with its new clipping fixer, IIRC that contains mesh edits in/around Whiterun so maybe that's a possible conflict in the mix as well. I'll do some activate / deactivate trial & error (it's easy with MO) if re-merging and making my REGS CRF free-range doesn't do the trick. 

I saw a lot of chatter some pages back about nesbit098's The People of Skyrim series.  Is there a chance of any of these making it into REGS?  Which ones aren't compatible?

Personally I like nesbits tpos series and particulary because he puts considerable thought and social reasoning into his mods. His goal is to link all of his mods together with quests and a social fabric and level of interaction. He is currently working on voicing NPC's instead of just the vanilla voices. I like his merged Whiterun mod the most https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/54223/?

However I pretty much use all of them particulary the Dawnstar and Solitude ones. They all merge easily into one esp with no problems.

I don't use Riverwood (too busy already) and Winterhold will conflict with ETaC. Oh and I use all of REGS with no conflicts so far (except Winterhold).

• +1 1

I'm at a loss, I can't run REGS Cities without losing the ground beneath Pelagia Farm. Any chance I can get a crash course in how to find the conflict? I'm 8 hours into sussing this out and can't find the problem, my only working solution so far has been to disable REGS Cities, CRF Patch & Resources.

Update: I got it sorted, difficult because (I think) Skyrim was holding onto the bad navmesh data despite my MO tweaking and even starting a new game (unfortunately without shutting own Skyrim) to get a clean Whiterun. Long story short, once I restarted the pc, cleaned up my load order and launched a save from before venturing to the poorly merged Whiterun, the gods were in their kingdom and all was right with Tamriel.

FYI, these REGS related esp files seem to merge fine;

Beautiful WhiterunChampionsChild Skeleton fix for TK ChildrenDawn of RiftenETaC Dragon Bridge South patchETaC Complete ELFX patchETaC Complete LoS patchETaC Complete TK Children patchGeneral Tullius GuardsHearthfire Chimneys ETaCHigh Hrothgar OverhaulRBB Row Boats HF HotfixRBB Long & Row Boats DLCSolsteim the Lost LevelsSons of SkyrimSymphonies of SkyrimTK Children HFUnderstone Keep Repairs

I left the fixed Dagger Alley, Dawn of Windhelm, Raven Rock as the contain repaired navmeshes, and of course REGS Cities + CRF patch as previously discussed.

Yes this merge is new and improved, now with more TPOS.

Edited by redirishlord
  • +1 1

I'm still getting a deleted navmesh warning from the REGS AdalMatar.esp in LOOT.

FYI, these REGS related esp files seem to merge fine;

Beautiful WhiterunChampionsChild Skeleton fix for TK ChildrenDawn of RiftenETaC Dragon Bridge South patchETaC Complete ELFX patchETaC Complete LoS patchETaC Complete TK Children patchGeneral Tullius GuardsHearthfire Chimneys ETaCHigh Hrothgar OverhaulRBB Row Boats HF HotfixRBB Long & Row Boats DLCSolsteim the Lost LevelsSons of SkyrimSymphonies of SkyrimTK Children HFUnderstone Keep Repairs

<3

Edited by Muladhara86

What noobzor says :)

Remember that neither BOSS nor LOOT checks the .esp files on the spot for deleted navmeshes. Those who maintain the tools are the ones who put that information in. 

Maybe you can offer WilliamImm some penguin related swag? ;-)

@ Muladhara86: I don't use FAtT, so I don't have any intel on that, in fact I'm pretty lite on my REGS install (I went easy on the buffet). With the number of ETaC homes, and this really cool remodel of the vanilla homes (all in one esp), plus Aemer's Refuge & the Druid's Den I felt I could go without Perseid's RRR (and compatibilities for that, and of course that allows for ETaC complete WITH Inns).

tl;dr

I posted my merge results in case others are wondering what plays nice, remember to exit TES5Edit and re-launch to get a proper error check (if you run its error check before save & exit it misses stuff, lots of stuff, credit to Double You for that tip).

I've been checking out some of the REGS modules, and I'm noticing a lot of spelling and grammatical errors.  Daggercross Alley is a big offender; the generi-NPCs have misspelled names on mouseover and differently misspelled names in the subtitles.  I'll post a more comprehensive list next week.

• +1 1

Maybe you can offer WilliamImm some penguin related swag? ;-)

@ Muladhara86: I don't use FAtT, so I don't have any intel on that, in fact I'm pretty lite on my REGS install (I went easy on the buffet). With the number of ETaC homes, and this really cool remodel of the vanilla homes (all in one esp), plus Aemer's Refuge & the Druid's Den I felt I could go without Perseid's RRR (and compatibilities for that, and of course that allows for ETaC complete WITH Inns).

tl;dr

I posted my merge results in case others are wondering what plays nice, remember to exit TES5Edit and re-launch to get a proper error check (if you run its error check before save & exit it misses stuff, lots of stuff, credit to Double You for that tip).

Whats the all in one vanilla home remodel mod you're referring to?

This https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/44410/? ??

Edited by gpthree

Do you guys have any guide of merging esp(s)? I am very confused in which situation we should check or uncheck "Renumber FormIDs"? Thanks

The only way to know for certain is to look at the mods in TES5Edit to see whether they happen to use the same FormIDs, and this can be quite tedious.  Generally this means you need to look for forum posts by users who have tried merging the mods. Often it isn't practical (at least for most of us) to merge some mods (e.g. mods with significant conflicts, mods with overlapping navmesh records)