Better City Entrances

Nearox

Better City Entrances @ Nexus

In light of the current discussion about lore-friendly city mods, I thought I'd bring this little-known mod to your attention as well.

This one adds very subtle but well fitting objects around city entrances or near to them. The additions are small so they don't spoil the intended look of the cities (just like the Dawn of x series). It also fills up empty vanilla rooms and corridors, such as the ones outside Whiterun, with clutter so that these areas no longer feel like a bit of a hasty job by Bethesda. No houses or NPCs are added. 

I personally find that the additions give the roads up to the cities and the entrances a much more complete look. I haven't encountered a conflict with the Dawn of x series, and I've been using them in conjunction since this mod was released in December. 

Anyways, judge by yourself. The screenshots at the Nexus mod page show the mod off pretty well! Especially the Markarth entrance area is brilliant piece of work imo. Very immersive.

Some example screens (there's so much more to the mod than these screens, check the Nexus page!):

Riften      Posted Image

Windhelm Posted Image

Markath Posted Image Posted Image

Whiterun   Posted Image

Solitude Posted Image

Better City Entrances is a mod that brings more details around the gate areas of the main cities, i always felt the entrance of each city very empty and lacking some details, so i decided to mod them. This mod was made with performance and simplicity in mind, the details added are lore friendly you will not find HUGE changes like diferent flora and architecture that would not fit the theme of each city.

Note: No npcs, no scripts, only details to enhance the immersion of each city.

CJ2311, did these merge ok together? I was under the impression that mods that alter worldspace don't always merge well, or is that not the case? I could be way off, but I thought I remember the guy who made the merge script for TES5Edit said that.

Anyway, interested to know how the merge went :)

The additions are small so they don't spoil the intended look of the cities (just like the Dawn of x series).

Does this means that Dawn of X mods don't spoil the look, or that they do? Sorry, but my english usually fails at sentences like this. :rolleyes:

The additions are small so they don't spoil the intended look of the cities (just like the Dawn of x series).

Does this means that Dawn of X mods don't spoil the look, or that they do? Sorry, but my english usually fails at sentences like this. :rolleyes:
Both mods add objects to cells/worldspaces in the game. What I mean is that they don't conflict in terms of objects overlapping eachother or different navmesh edits for the same cells etc.

In other words, 100% safe and compatible :)

CJ2311, did these merge ok together? I was under the impression that mods that alter worldspace don't always merge well, or is that not the case? I could be way off, but I thought I remember the guy who made the merge script for TES5Edit said that.

Anyway, interested to know how the merge went :)

The Merge plugin was updated a few days ago and now handles merging worldspaces better. Besides, it's always possible to fix the small errors manually.

Just a note; do no use the All in One version by the author on that page, since it has been merged with an old version of the script and as such contains a few errors (you can see them when you load the file in TES5Edit). What I did personally was use the new script to merge each module of better city entrances and each module of better docks and it works ingame without any problem.

yes it is.

Load order: In BUM there is a category for city mods... I forgot the name of it but you can find out easily by navgitating to any city mod's  .esp in the right pane and then check the ctaegory it belongs to.

yes it is.

Load order: In BUM there is a category for city mods... I forgot the name of it but you can find out easily by navgitating to any city mod's  .esp in the right pane and then check the ctaegory it belongs to.

Ok that's it. Next install I am using BUM. I never use it and I bet it would be so much better and easier if I did. Also, Nearox, check my response to your other statement in the dawn of riften thread. We should build a pack. 

It looks sort of nice, adding a bit of cluttering around the entrances to the towns. But...

I would prefer if mods like this added people to the area... Merchants, shoppers, travelers, etc. Skyrim seems kind of empty so it seems a shame not to take the opportunity to make it a bit mote lively rather than just adding inanimate objects. Perhaps it's unfair to critique a mod for not being something else but I can't be all that excited about using it if it doesn't increase the amount of interactions.

There already is a mod series that does that.... though I forgot what its name is right now.

Overhauls every city, and roads etc. with more people, and make people go out of the city more etc.

I am sure someone knows what I am talking about and will fill in the link asap! :)