Realistic Lighting Overhaul

deathneko11

Thought that the lighting in the interiors was dark too but if you think about it, most of those places do not have adequate windows and are made of wood or solid stone (like Markarth). I would think that due to the nature of the surrounding accessible technology with lighting, dark interiors would persist throughout Skyrim. Think about it, fires would be a common occurrence in such building/roof materials. It certainly was in our universe, during the ancient civilizations like the Mesopotamians up to our own Great Chicago Fire in 1871 (Folklore stating it was started by a cow knocking down a lantern....Don't I wish that'd happen to the Thalmor. :|).  So although the interiors are dark...and sometimes I had to walk with a torch inside....*Coughs*Markarth Silver-Blood Inn*Coughs*...I could understand why they could be that dark to begin with.

Another idea to ponder about is the Skyrim engine to begin with. Most of these interiors would consist of a limited amount of meshes of which, if memory serves, only four light sources can 'touch' a given mesh. More than that have to be meticulously engineered to not coincide with the mesh or another light source. Hence a really really dark Inn in Markarth that forced me to use the torch to find my bed. :( So there is the technical aspect of Skyrim we cannot forget about when we ask for a 'realistic' lighting overhaul that is realistic in theory, resources and lore. (All of which are still technically relative and subjective to the viewer....except for the Skyrim engine)

Sounds great! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Would be very nice that in locations that are really dark you deviate from the realism, and go for a more cinematic approach. This is a game after all.... and anything that is pitch black is just annoying to play with.

I like dark dungeons, but I also like to be able to see to some extent. I will be deviating from "vanilla dark dungeons", and there are several places where the lighting is just fake (glow fogs anyone?).

As far as cinematic? I won't go the ELFX route and take chunks out of the walls and cielings for skylights and pretty dust effects or whatever, but where appropriate I can come up with some alternatives. Where there are holes such as this I will however attempt to add realistic affects that match weather (such as making a denser snow drift coming from a cieling hole when you are in a dungeon where snow is blowing in, like the entrance to bleak falls). Just adding a proper light to candles in several places can make a big change when there was originally just a glow mesh from the candles.

This is great news, RLO is my favorite lighting mod.  The others just seem a little off in too many aspects to my eyes.  I haven't been using it recently because of the lack of updates so I am really looking forward to seeing more of your work.

• 3 weeks later...

A new thread? Neat.

Hi everyone, I'm still alive. College is making a good attempt at reversing that statement, but so far I'm winning against it.

Now on top of Deathneko's post about Dungeons going into development now, I'm going to announce that I'm rebuilding the interior lighting from scratch. The colours aren't going to change (Well, maybe a little bit), and a majority of the lighting will remain in the same style as RLO's previous and current versions. But I've found out that I can do a little bit more with the lighting than what is currently implemented.

Old: https://i.imgur.com/6QBTyqP.jpg

New: https://i.imgur.com/gJ8cvfu.jpg

But keep in mind that this past week has halted all development until I get more time now that college is taking a major chunk of time with the new assignments coming in.

Have fun!

I've used RLO for nearly a year and I love it. I use it with CoT, CoT Weather Patch, and Project ENB. A perfect combination. My dungeons are pitch black except for the light sources (just the way I like them), which forces me to use lanterns (using Wearable Lanterns). For inns and houses the interiors duing the day are bright and cheery (assuming there are windows), but get very dark at night except near the fires/candles. I love setting the timescale to 800 just to watch the day/night light changes. They go from nearly pitch black inside to bright and cheery when the sun comes up. AWESOME. Outside is very bright with dark shadows during the day and very dark at night (can't almost see). Since I use RnD and Frostfall I have to set up camp before it gets too dark and sleep in my cozy tent by the fire. SO MUCH FUN!