Sign in to follow this  
Neovalen

Windows 8.1 and ENB

Question

Took the plunge and updated to Windows 8.1 on my machine. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to play nice with ENB. I am also running the Nvidia R331 Game Ready Driver (For BF4).

Symptoms:

Random stutter (fps spikes downward momentarily) and sound corruption. Does not occur with ENB disabled.

Anyone else getting this?

14 answers to this question

Wanted to post another update here. Nvidia released yet another R331 driver on 28 October which resolved this problem. That was fast.

I can only just imagine what Boris will say if you report it on his forums hehehe.

Also is this with or without SLI enabled :P (Seems to be a reoccurring issue with you :P )

Since that would always be my first suggestion.

After some troubleshooting with Aiyen it appears to be an ENB / Nvidia R331 driver issue. For now I will use the old driver, but unfortunately on Tuesday I will be forced to R331 for BF4... hopefully someone will have reported this to Boris by then for a fix. I'd rather jump into a pit of vipers than try to report something on Boris forum... lol.

It is the WHQL version of 331 if I'm not mistaken, so everyone should probably update. I have really good performance with almost all games using it. Though I get that stupid sun going through walls bug from ENB again bacause I never do clean installs of graphics drivers.

Another update.

331.65 - Bad

331.58 - Bad

331.40 - OK

At least for SLI mode - doing OK without SLI on all versions. I have posted over on the geforce forums, looks like many games are affected.

I'm seriously considering reverting back to Windows 7 or Windows 8. (not 8.1) I've had nothing but odd issues since I've updated to 8.1

• Pixelation in still images
  • Pixelation in videos (both online flash videos and offline ripped videos in VLC)
  • Odd "scan lines" in online flash videos
  • Several video driver crashes (not since I've updated to latest driver though)
None of these issues I had before updating.

EDIT:

Spoke to soon...video drivers just crashed again.

I'm running Windows 8 and no issues here... then again I'm on a gaming laptop it HAS to run well on it's default OS otherwise the company would receive too much flak so lol

Actually, I'm using Intel HD Graphics on my Windows 8.1 and my graphics driver keeps crashing too, so I think that is a OS problem. I dual-boot, so that solves a multitude of problems.

I would strongly advise people to hold off on applying major Microsoft updates as soon as they are released, at least not your primary box - it's just volunteering to an MS bug detector. If the update is really worth it, I would always perform a fresh build from updated installation media.

I would strongly advise people to hold off on applying major Microsoft updates as soon as they are released, at least not your primary box - it's just volunteering to an MS bug detector. If the update is really worth it, I would always perform a fresh build from updated installation media.

As I recall there where 3 OS related updates in total for the entire live spawn of Windows 7 to 8.1 that gave some gamers issues.

So I have to disagree with your advise, at least security updates should always be installed upon release.

Optional updates should always be reviewed.

Running on a fully updated Windows 8.1 Pro x64 here and no issues at all.

I hope everyone with issues has Windows automatic driver installation and update disabled.