Can I use a different ENB with the STEP Guide?

Kirsid

I love the STEP Guides and always come back to them when revisiting Skyrim. However, last time I thought that the game was too dark after applying the ENB effects following the most recent guide. Realistic for sure, but also not enjoyable for me to play.

So I was wondering.. can I follow the STEP Guide, including most of the 21-Post-Processing steps, except for the final part: "Step Patch - Post-Processing"? And then install another ENB at the end? Does this depend on the ENB perhaps? And if so, are there any other STEP-friendly ENBs out there?

If this is not possible, where should I stop during the 21-Post-Processing part? Or should I skip that part, and all of the blue tagged mods, all-together?

Just be sure the ENB you use is built for Cathedral Weathers. Aside from that, you can always tweak the Step ENB to your liking for brighter nights and shadows. Skylighting and AmbientLighting are the keys to this, but the former is very tricky to get right if you change it too much.

As z929669 say above.

I have tried so many ENB presets over the years, especially during the time before STEP added the one there is for the guide today. I always find that i have to tweak them a bit. And still, i always find some conditions where i am not happy with the result.

The one included in STEP is a very good neutral start and the perfect preset to work from with the guides weather and lighting. Making the game look perfect for your personal taste can be a bit tricky.

A preset might not even look the same on different screens, so when you look at pictures or videos on Nexus for differnt presets they are probably not what you will get on your screen. :)

Thank you for your answers! Glad to hear I can try other ENBs to find the right one for me :).

Maybe I'll try tweaking the STEP ENB. But honestly, I am way to fiddly when it comes to stuff like that and prefer an one-and-done solution. Honestly, that Weather is sacred - ENB looks pretty neat! Like an upgraded vanilla type of look.

Am I correct in saying I should follow the full guide up until the final part, "Step Patch - Post-Processing" at the bottom of 21-Post-Processing, and then install my personal choice of ENB?

1 hour ago, Kirsid said:

Thank you for your answers! Glad to hear I can try other ENBs to find the right one for me :).

Maybe I'll try tweaking the STEP ENB. But honestly, I am way to fiddly when it comes to stuff like that and prefer an one-and-done solution. Honestly, that Weather is sacred - ENB looks pretty neat! Like an upgraded vanilla type of look.

Am I correct in saying I should follow the full guide up until the final part, "Step Patch - Post-Processing" at the bottom of 21-Post-Processing, and then install my personal choice of ENB?

Follow the guide exactly, including 21-Post-Processing, less the Step ENB (instead use your custom version or another 'lite' ENB that explicitly supports CW [but not an ENB that has all kinds of it's own mod requirements, which will likely conflict]).

20 hours ago, z929669 said:

Follow the guide exactly, including 21-Post-Processing, less the Step ENB (instead use your custom version or another 'lite' ENB that explicitly supports CW [but not an ENB that has all kinds of it's own mod requirements, which will likely conflict]).

This kinda feels like a silly follow-up question, but just to be sure: you mean include the Step Patch - Post Processing optional file in my build.

Then, and only then!, add my ENB of choice. An ENB that should support Cathedral Weathers and not have crazy requirements. Right? :blush:

5 hours ago, Kirsid said:

This kinda feels like a silly follow-up question, but just to be sure: you mean include the Step Patch - Post Processing optional file in my build.

Then, and only then!, add my ENB of choice. An ENB that should support Cathedral Weathers and not have crazy requirements. Right? :blush:

Yes, if you are only swapping out the ENB, the assets and plugins have no relevance. The post processing mods and patches apply to any ENB, except for some of the more complex ones that bundle or recommend other assets and plugins to work with ENB. Our 21-Post-Processing ModGroup takes care of all that.

Thanks for the additional clarification! That really puts my mind at ease.

Time to get to modding I guess :)

PS: not sure if I can, or should, mark this solved. But my questions have definitely been answered.

Edited by Kirsid