Wrong billboard tree LOD with Seasons of Skyrim

nalathequeen2186

Question

Hi, I've created an account here because I am so beyond confused and can't find any help about my specific problem online. It seems like a common question, the tree billboards don't match their 3d models in game. I've searched through just about every piece of info online I can find, and none of the solutions have worked for me, and indeed seem to be answering a version of the problem I don't even have.

The specific problem I'm having is that it seems like for some reason, Skyrim will not display correct tree billboards for spring and summer, no matter what I do. Autumn and winter SEEM to be fine, but in spring and summer a lot of the trees (mostly aspens in the Rift, but some pines as well, though not all) are either missing billboards entirely, or have a billboard that looks like some kind of Reach scrub bush. I have generated, regenerated, and re-regenerated everything with xLODGen, TexGen, and DynDOLOD a good dozen or so times, if not more, over the past few days, and the problem is still unrelentingly there.

I have followed every instruction on the DynDOLOD site to the letter. I checked the TexGen logs and output, and it seems like it generates everything properly - looking at the .dds files shows correct tree billboards. Checking the DynDOLOD output (again, specifically the .dds files) shows that everything seems to be set up correctly, all the tree billboards look fine. But as soon as I go in game and change the season to spring or summer, the tree billboards are all fricked up. Like, it doesn't seem to be an issue with the output of the LOD generating tools, it legitimately seems like the game is just... refusing to use the right billboards, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

The only mods I'm using affecting trees (that I'm aware of) are Seasons of Skyrim, Turn of the Seasons, Simply Bigger Trees, and Realistic Aspen Trees. That's it. So I don't see how it could be a mod conflict. Just in case though, here's my mod load order. (In addition, I wasn't even using Realistic Aspen trees at first, but tried installing it when this problem kept happening to see if changing the affected trees would somehow resolve the issue. It did not.)

I'm seriously begging for someone to help me, because I'm about to tear my freaking hair out trying to get this stupid issue solved.

5 answers to this question

3 hours ago, nalathequeen2186 said:

Hi, I've created an account here because I am so beyond confused and can't find any help about my specific problem online. It seems like a common question, the tree billboards don't match their 3d models in game. I've searched through just about every piece of info online I can find, and none of the solutions have worked for me, and indeed seem to be answering a version of the problem I don't even have.

The specific problem I'm having is that it seems like for some reason, Skyrim will not display correct tree billboards for spring and summer, no matter what I do. Autumn and winter SEEM to be fine, but in spring and summer a lot of the trees (mostly aspens in the Rift, but some pines as well, though not all) are either missing billboards entirely, or have a billboard that looks like some kind of Reach scrub bush. I have generated, regenerated, and re-regenerated everything with xLODGen, TexGen, and DynDOLOD a good dozen or so times, if not more, over the past few days, and the problem is still unrelentingly there.

I have followed every instruction on the DynDOLOD site to the letter. I checked the TexGen logs and output, and it seems like it generates everything properly - looking at the .dds files shows correct tree billboards. Checking the DynDOLOD output (again, specifically the .dds files) shows that everything seems to be set up correctly, all the tree billboards look fine. But as soon as I go in game and change the season to spring or summer, the tree billboards are all fricked up. Like, it doesn't seem to be an issue with the output of the LOD generating tools, it legitimately seems like the game is just... refusing to use the right billboards, and I cannot for the life of me figure out why.

The only mods I'm using affecting trees (that I'm aware of) are Seasons of Skyrim, Turn of the Seasons, Simply Bigger Trees, and Realistic Aspen Trees. That's it. So I don't see how it could be a mod conflict. Just in case though, here's my mod load order. (In addition, I wasn't even using Realistic Aspen trees at first, but tried installing it when this problem kept happening to see if changing the affected trees would somehow resolve the issue. It did not.)

I'm seriously begging for someone to help me, because I'm about to tear my freaking hair out trying to get this stupid issue solved.

Read https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#Post-Logs which TexGen and DynDOLOD log and debug log to upload.
Also upload ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_SSE_Object_Report.txt. 

Make a useful screenshot of a tree full model that has seemingly incorrect billboard tree LOD with more informative console to show the reference base record form ID and also make a screenshot with a close up of the wrong LOD model as explained in https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#In-Game-Screenshots

See https://dyndolod.info/FAQ#Billboard-tree-LOD-does-not-match-close-up-full-model-trees
Upload the mentioned ..\DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_[GAME MODE]_Billboards_Used_[WORLDSPACE].txt.
Make sure the TexGen output is not overwritten

"fricked up" is not a proper problem description.
The mod that takes care of the switching of assets including the generated LOD files is Seasons of Skyrim. If you verified the DynDOLOD output was all generated correctly, yet the game shows the wrong LOD, then it is a problem with SOS and/or the engine loading the files and no amount of regenerating the (correct) LOD filers is going to change this.
Does the tree LOD not change? Make sure that tree LOD switching Tree LOD = true is enabled for all seasons in po3_SeasonsOfSkyrim.in
Does the tree LOD change seems to be randomly wrong? Then the generated files might be overwritten or SOS has trouble making the engine load the correct files.
Check if saving/reloading changes anything.

https://dyndolod.info/Help/Seasons