Can Not Copy Resource / The system cannot find the path specified

ravenRpg38

Question

• Answers 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

33 minutes ago, avalon said:

Ok, I'm at the end with my Latin with this issue. Need your help!

Getting this error after TexGen64 is almost finished:

I'm running TexGen through Mod Organizer 2.4.4.
DynDOLOD is installed under D:\Tools\DynDOLOD and that path doesn't require any admin privileges.
All other resource files before this error can be copied.
The file in question is clearly there under the path and is accessible by everything else (when running virtualized from MO).
There are many other texture files with the same format and attributes as snow01_n.dds that can be copied.

Never had any file access issues before with DynDOLOD or DynDOLOD 2 prior versions but this alpha gives me several headaches.

TexGen_SSE_Debug_log.7z 172.33 kB · 0 downloads

Was there no "Click on this link for additional explanations and help for this message"  on the pop-up message which opens https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Can-Not-Copy-Resource?

Search the thread/forum for the message to find similar answers as explained on the first post.

https://stepmodifications.org/forum/search/?q=system cannot find path specified&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=223

Blame your PC, OS, antivir for your headache. The programs or their version has nothing to do with that.

Hello, Upon using texgen dyndolod 3 Version 3.00-32382-Alpha-74 I got the below error message >> 

Main Instruction]
Can not copy resource textures\landscape\fallforestdirt01.dds to C:\Games\SSE Tools\DYNDOLOD SE\DynDOLOD 3\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output\DynDOLOD-temp\textures\landscape\fallforestdirt01.dds:
[Content]
The system cannot find the path specified
[C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\textures\landscape\fallforestdirt01.dds]
Click on this link for additional explanations and help for this message
[Exit TexGen]

- As this version is still in testing purposes, is there a stable version of dyndolod v3 prior to that ? I'm on SSE Version 1.5.97 still also .

Thanks.. 

Edited by mrshadoo

On 3/1/2022 at 7:31 PM, mrshadoo said:

Hello, Upon using texgen dyndolod 3 Version 3.00-32382-Alpha-74 I got the below error message >> 

Main Instruction]
Can not copy resource textures\landscape\fallforestdirt01.dds to C:\Games\SSE Tools\DYNDOLOD SE\DynDOLOD 3\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output\DynDOLOD-temp\textures\landscape\fallforestdirt01.dds:
[Content]
The system cannot find the path specified
[C:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\textures\landscape\fallforestdirt01.dds]
[Exit TexGen]

"Click on this link for additional explanations and help for this message"  on the pop-up message as explained in https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum to open https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Can-Not-Copy-Resource which has and explanation and suggestion for the message and especially "The system cannot find the path specified"

Read https://dyndolod.info/Official-DynDOLOD-Support-Forum#Post-Logs which entire logs to upload when making posts.

On 3/1/2022 at 7:31 PM, mrshadoo said:

- As this version is still in testing purposes, is there a stable version of dyndolod v3 prior to that ? I'm on SSE Version 1.5.97 still also .

The question indicates that the requirements to use any version DynDOLOD are not met.

Considering the problem is caused by the OS, anitvir or other 3rd party preventing file access it does not really matter which version is used.

Hey. I'm trying to run TexGenx64 via MO2 for DynDOLOD3. But when it runs I keep getting this error message:

[Window Title]
TexGen

[Main Instruction]
Can not copy resource textures\dungeons\imperial\impwood01_n.dds to E:\Bethesda Games Modding\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output\DynDOLOD-temp\textures\dungeons\ships\shipwood01_n.dds:

[Content]
Den angivne sti blev ikke fundet [the designated path was not found]

[E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\textures\dungeons\imperial\impwood01_n.dds]

[Exit TexGen]

[Footer]
Online Help | Support Forum | Copy message to clipboard

There is nothing wrong with the texture in the path, I've checked in my MO2, and I've tried using different textures too for the shipwood01_n, from different texture packs, but they all result in the same error message. What to do?
Also, is the tool supposed to copy the texture from the imperial folder into the ships folder? That doesn't seem right.

Edited by Carbonized

On 3/5/2022 at 1:13 PM, Carbonized said:

Hey. I'm trying to run TexGenx64 via MO2 for DynDOLOD3. But when it runs I keep getting this error message:

[Window Title]
TexGen

[Main Instruction]
Can not copy resource textures\dungeons\imperial\impwood01_n.dds to E:\Bethesda Games Modding\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output\DynDOLOD-temp\textures\dungeons\ships\shipwood01_n.dds:

[Content]
Den angivne sti blev ikke fundet [the designated path was not found]

[E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\textures\dungeons\imperial\impwood01_n.dds]

[Exit TexGen]

[Footer]
Online Help | Support Forum | Copy message to clipboard

There is nothing wrong with the texture in the path, I've checked in my MO2, and I've tried using different textures too for the shipwood01_n, from different texture packs, but they all result in the same error message. What to do?

Also, is the tool supposed to copy the texture from the imperial folder into the ships folder? That doesn't seem right.

"Click on this link for additional explanations and help for this message" on the pop-up message to open https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Can-Not-Copy-Resource which has explanations and suggestions for the message and especially "The system cannot find the path specified"

As you can see the problem is the OS, antivir or some other crapware preventing read/write access.

Yes, the copy operation from the one texture path and filename to the other texture path and filename is entirely on purpose.

Alright I'm completely confused why TextGen is going off the rails mid-task.   I'm using MO2 and TextGen is chugging along with all of a sudden it fusses about not being able to:

Error: Can not copy resource textures\landscape\snow01_n.dds to G:\Mod Organizer 2\TextGenOutput\DynDOLOD-temp\textures\landscape\snow01landscape_n.dds: The system cannot find the path specified [G:\SteamLibrary2\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\textures\landscape\snow01_n.dds]

Considering this is MO2 shouldn't be going there for a texture file when it should be pulling from the Cathedral Assets mod.  Given that it had been chugging through the textures until then I don't think it's some sudden error with my Windows Defender either and besides everything to do with this process I whitelisted.  /headesk

TexGen_SSE_Debug_log.7z

Edited by cajeffreys

On 3/6/2022 at 5:13 AM, cajeffreys said:

Alright I'm completely confused why TextGen is going off the rails mid-task.   I'm using MO2 and TextGen is chugging along with all of a sudden it fusses about not being able to:

Error: Can not copy resource textures\landscape\snow01_n.dds to G:\Mod Organizer 2\TextGenOutput\DynDOLOD-temp\textures\landscape\snow01landscape_n.dds: The system cannot find the path specified [G:\SteamLibrary2\steamapps\common\Skyrim Special Edition\Data\textures\landscape\snow01_n.dds]

Considering this is MO2 shouldn't be going there for a texture file when it should be pulling from the Cathedral Assets mod.  Given that it had been chugging through the textures until then I don't think it's some sudden error with my Windows Defender either and besides everything to do with this process I whitelisted.  /headesk

TexGen_SSE_Debug_log.7z 253.84 kB · 1 download

https://dyndolod.info/Messages/Can-Not-Copy-Resource

TexGen, like any other Windows program, uses standard OS functions to read and write files. If the OS function returns an error, it is printed to the user and process is stopped. The error message from the OS is "The system cannot find the path specified".

The anti virus scans every file being read/written. If it doesn't like a file while it is being read/written it blocks access. Check the windows event log for messages from defender.

The game and tools read plugins and assets from  data folder. The used mod manager does not change that. In case of MO2 it hooks the standard OS function to read write files for the virtual file system. Check the MO2 log. It lists every virtual file access mapped to the physical file location.

The error happens right at the start of the stitched object LOD textures generation.

Do not install DynDOLOD into mod manager folders. Do not output into mod manager folders.

7 hours ago, sheson said:

TexGen, like any other Windows program, uses standard OS functions to read and write files. If the OS function returns an error, it is printed to the user and process is stopped. The error message from the OS is "The system cannot find the path specified".

The anti virus scans every file being read/written. If it doesn't like a file while it is being read/written it blocks access. Check the windows event log for messages from defender.

The game and tools read plugins and assets from  data folder. The used mod manager does not change that. In case of MO2 it hooks the standard OS function to read write files for the virtual file system. Check the MO2 log. It lists every virtual file access mapped to the physical file location.

The error happens right at the start of the stitched object LOD textures generation.

Do not install DynDOLOD into mod manager folders. Do not output into mod manager folders.

Thank you Sheson for your response.

I've downloaded the latest release for 3.0 which is 77 and moved all the file locations so that they aren't in the MO2 folder but are on the same drive as it (which is also not the drive WinOS is installed on).  I turned off windows defender while running TextGen and monitored Windows Events.  Its not longer hanging on the snow texture, now it's hanging on a stockade texture.  I'm not that familiar with windows event viewer, but is where you want me to look in the left hand pane of Event Viewer under Windows Logs > Security?  The other choices are Applications, Security, Setup, System and Forwarded Events.  I don't see anything in any of those for the time that TextGen was running that would indicate any type of error or blocking action.  The security section is full of Audit Successes and nothing else.

Attached is my debug log again.  Not quite sure what to try after this.

TexGen_SSE_Debug_log.7z

Additional info on my crash at the stockade texture.  I found where the exact windows defender logs were located:

To view a Microsoft Defender Antivirus event
  • Open Event Viewer.
  • In the console tree, expand Applications and Services Logs, then Microsoft, then Windows, then Windows Defender.
  • Double-click on Operational.
  • In the details pane, view the list of individual events to find your event.

Nothing there for the time I ran TextGen - not a surprise since I turned off Windows Defender for those few minutes.

So I turned to the MO2 logs and found something odd?  Not sure why it would reach out to firefox.exe?

usvfs-2022-03-06_16-01-15.7z

1 hour ago, cajeffreys said:

Thank you Sheson for your response.

I've downloaded the latest release for 3.0 which is 77 and moved all the file locations so that they aren't in the MO2 folder but are on the same drive as it (which is also not the drive WinOS is installed on).  I turned off windows defender while running TextGen and monitored Windows Events.  Its not longer hanging on the snow texture, now it's hanging on a stockade texture.  I'm not that familiar with windows event viewer, but is where you want me to look in the left hand pane of Event Viewer under Windows Logs > Security?  The other choices are Applications, Security, Setup, System and Forwarded Events.  I don't see anything in any of those for the time that TextGen was running that would indicate any type of error or blocking action.  The security section is full of Audit Successes and nothing else.

Attached is my debug log again.  Not quite sure what to try after this.

TexGen_SSE_Debug_log.7z 226.74 kB · 0 downloads

Since I do not really use Windows or Windows Defender I can not help well with exact instructions how to check its real time log. So I am just going by google results for example like 
https://superuser.com/questions/1126881/how-to-find-specifics-of-what-defender-detected-in-real-time-protection

"In the console tree, expand Applications and Services Logs, then Microsoft, then Windows, then Windows Defender."

As comparison try this:

Open the load order in xEdit. Start the Asset Browser script with CTRL+F3. Type in the file of the texture to copy, e.g. snow01_n.dds or stockadewood01_n.dds, then right-click it in the results and select save as from the first "container" (data or a BSA file)  listed.

22 minutes ago, cajeffreys said:

Additional info on my crash at the stockade texture.  I found where the exact windows defender logs were located:

To view a Microsoft Defender Antivirus event
  • Open Event Viewer.
  • In the console tree, expand Applications and Services Logs, then Microsoft, then Windows, then Windows Defender.
  • Double-click on Operational.
  • In the details pane, view the list of individual events to find your event.

Nothing there for the time I ran TextGen - not a surprise since I turned off Windows Defender for those few minutes.

So I turned to the MO2 logs and found something odd?  Not sure why it would reach out to firefox.exe?

usvfs-2022-03-06_16-01-15.7z 76.96 kB · 0 downloads

MO2 seems to blacklist a couple programs including Firefox or Chrome from the virtual file system. Why that is necessary you would need to ask the developers.

You might want to enable "debug" mode for the log in the diagnostic settings of MO2 so it shows every file access, including the textures.

If you have inexplicably file access problems, also consider rebooting and/or booting into safe mode.