MO2 problem with mods overwriting game files??

Darklustre

Question

It seems that my mods are making permanent changes to game files, even after they've been uninstalled and removed from MO2 itself and after starting a new game. I recently installed a simple mod that takes the essential tag off everything. I decided that wasn't for me so I unchecked it and started a new game. Everything still dies. I uninstalled the mod and started a new game. Everything still dies. I can't seem to undo the effect and that isn't supposed to happen, is it? I also had a perfectly-working expansion called Snow City and messed around with trying other expansions too. It messed up the interiors on Snow City and even after removing the conflicting mod and starting a new game, I've never been able to get the interiors to work again. 

I'm told MO2 doesn't let mod files overwrite game files, so what is actually happening?

On 12/13/2022 at 9:54 PM, Darklustre said:

Ok, you were right. I tried not putting a space between : Gameplay and it worked. It says, '0'.

If it is zero, that would explain the ability to kill essential characters. This means the ini setting is set either in Skyrim.ini, a mod plugin ini, or possibly a scripted mod. It needs to be set to 1 for essential characters to remain protected.

I would check your Skyrim.ini ... or use BethINI to scrub it of nonsense and configure it correctly if you aren't already (this is one of the the main reasons why we use it ... gets rid of all kinds of support questions relating to bogus or even 'harmful' INI settings from the main game INIs)

1 hour ago, Darklustre said:

Thank you for the solution, but I'm trying to understand why mods are overwriting game files and even changing other profiles?

Since you never let us know whether or not you found the changed value in your Skyrim.ini, it's impossible to know the source of the change.

I'll ask again: Did you find bEssentialTakeNoDamage=0 in Skyrim.ini??

If you did, then I'm guessing you must've put it there. Mods can't change the game INI files that I know of. And I don't think this setting normally appears in the game INIs either ... @DoubleYou would know.

If you did not, then we must assume that No Permanent Essentials is overriding using a script, since that mod has a ton of scripts. Uninstall this one mod, and test the issue on a NEW game.

I said two posts ago that it was set to 0.  I'm not sure how the ini got changed. The mod couldn't have done that? I would still like to know why the Snow City mod became broken in this, and all other profiles because of trying it with other Windhelm expansions in one profile. I thought profiles couldn't be altered by what you do in a different one, but that's happened. I also have one profile that is set to letterbox and I can't get it out of letterbox. I'm wondering if I have something wonky with my MO2.