MO2 problem with mods overwriting game files??

Darklustre

Question

It seems that my mods are making permanent changes to game files, even after they've been uninstalled and removed from MO2 itself and after starting a new game. I recently installed a simple mod that takes the essential tag off everything. I decided that wasn't for me so I unchecked it and started a new game. Everything still dies. I uninstalled the mod and started a new game. Everything still dies. I can't seem to undo the effect and that isn't supposed to happen, is it? I also had a perfectly-working expansion called Snow City and messed around with trying other expansions too. It messed up the interiors on Snow City and even after removing the conflicting mod and starting a new game, I've never been able to get the interiors to work again. 

I'm told MO2 doesn't let mod files overwrite game files, so what is actually happening?

24 minutes ago, Darklustre said:

No, I don't think you did. You said to delete my inis, and that meant to me the thing you had me open up in MO2. I didn't know there was a difference between doing it through MO and through the file location. 

I see your point. In that case though, I would have said: Delete the contents of your INIs.

Don't forget to use BethINI (especially if you are not familiar with game INI files/file-locations/editing). All of your issues in this regard will be moot, and you will never need to mess with or be concerned with them in the future.

Your problem setting made its way into your Skyrim.ini by you yourself either editing that file directly, your copying/pasting one from the internet, or possibly some overly-invasive script or tool or process you used to do an "automated" install like Wabbajack or something along those lines. I can think of no other way that this could possibly have been accomplished.

So can you tell me if problems with the ini might be causing all my problems? Not just the stuttering, and suddenly submerging like in water, mining ore and suddenly hitting an anvil, but also NPCs doing tasks in the middle of the room instead of at the alchemy lab or enchanter, sitting in the middle of the air, sleeping in chairs and the animals falling from the sky?

13 minutes ago, Darklustre said:

So can you tell me if problems with the ini might be causing all my problems? Not just the stuttering, and suddenly submerging like in water, mining ore and suddenly hitting an anvil, but also NPCs doing tasks in the middle of the room instead of at the alchemy lab or enchanter, sitting in the middle of the air, sleeping in chairs and the animals falling from the sky?

Much of this sounds like havok bugs, so it is very possible, yes. Always troubleshoot any issues by first getting your game INI files in order. Once that's done, you can safely assume that problems are not game-INI related. Basic BethINI config for LE should still apply. Our BethINI SSE instructions have more detail and > 90% applicable to LE I think. BethINI itself will adjust things based on the game chosen for INI modifications. Above all, read the LE mod page description.

Once your game INI files are 'good' you can begin looking at other potential sources of your issues.