Fire Hurts NG (by Doodlezoid, fenix31415)

Kattmandu

8 hours ago, Kattmandu said:

Fire Hurts NG

I always found it odd that the player can stand over a fire and not take on any damage.  Is this a mod that STEP could adopt or does it go against the STEP mandate?

This  fits fine with the mandate, and I like the idea.

Please use the editor tool when creating mod topics:

image.png

I've been using this mod. It's pretty good and I like it. Not sure about it being "essential" however... I'd say it's rather "hardcore" :) Furthermore, while this adds realism, you can't extinguish the fire by going into water, without using yet another mod (Water Douses Fire) which is only effective when completely submerged. It's also not possible to extinguish the fire by dropping to the ground and rolling :) 

3 hours ago, CorneliusC said:

From what you're now describing about the mod, about the lack of interaction with water (which is the game's overall limitation?), i think i'd rather stay vanilla and role-play a respectful conduct with open fires ...

I agree.  I never tested the mod.  It just seemed like a good idea.  Would be great if the fire slowly extinguished after the player character stepped away from the fire.  But if it continuously burns without finding a lake to jump in to put it out seems a bit too much.

I didn't mean to scare anyone away from this mod, and I'm sorry for sowing confusion by not being clear. Let me try to do better...

• The player is dealt constant damage while on fire, until it stops.
  • The fire extinguishes itself after a few seconds after the player steps away from the source.
  • There is no way to extinguish the fire other than letting it stop by itself, or using another mod (Water Douse Fires). This is not a fault of this mod, and this limitation is not specific to this mod. There is no mechanism to extinguish fire from any source, such as dragons or spells, in the vanilla game either.

Please do give the mod a try if you're curious/interested and see how it goes. Note this mod is not standalone, you need to install the previous incarnation first to get the plugin and the configuration, then overwrite the SKSE plugin with this mod.

From my own experience playing with it a bit while testing other mods, I'm hesitant to recommend it and still on the fence whether I'm going to use it in a real playthrough:

• The amount/rate of fire damage is not documented. It's unknown if it scales with the player or what. It's not configurable.
  • The damage dealt is the same if the player steps on a small campfire or in a giant's bonfire. At low levels with a small health pool, it can chip away a lot of health in a few seconds just because the player stepped on a small fire.
  • It's not clear what boundaries are used to detect the fire source. I've caught fire several times simply by walking very close to a hearth fire in an inn or to a campfire, for example. This is probably made worse by playing in 1st-person and not seeing my own feet. Perhaps it's fine in 3rd-person but I wouldn't know.
  • If you've played Skyrim a lot, especially in 1st-person, and are used to not getting fire from sources other than spells or dragon breath, you need to be very careful where you walk all the time, otherwise you can catch fire quite often. This is distracting and not fun, IMHO.
  • The mod description states that the player catches fire while standing on a fire source. This is not quite accurate. By default, the damage starts instantly as soon as the player steps on the fire source. Fortunately this can be changed by adding a delay in seconds in the configuration file, but you need to read the fine print to find it. And if you set too long a delay so that you avoid catching fire most of the time, what's the point?
  • The mechanic applies to the player only, so it's not balanced. Not a problem per-se, but it may be one of those realistic mechanics that sounds fun in theory and becomes an annoyance in practice in the long run.

Lastly, I made this comment tongue-in-cheek, I wasn't serious:

On 11/27/2022 at 4:33 AM, Mousetick said:

It's also not possible to extinguish the fire by dropping to the ground and rolling :) 

Hope this helps.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of that detail!

A very good analysis that certainly helps us determine if this mod could be a candidate for the guide (once compatible with latest game runtime). It's not for Step, given many of the points laid out. Perhaps if the mod addresses them, we can reconsider.

• 2 months later...

I do love the idea.

So i have used this for som time now. It is a problem that it is only the player affected. Steped in a fire while fighting and i died ofc.

The mod should be more balanced and also aply to NPC i think.

Maby it can be useful if you want to turn your Skyrim into more of a survival/hunting game and you want maximum realism.

• 10 months later...