DynDOLOD 3.00 Alpha 173

sheson

59 minutes ago, skinjack said:

Hi again, sheson,

So unless I am misunderstanding your instructions, you are saying put whatever generates in the Textures_Output folder (in the DynDOLOD folder) into a mod similarly named in MO2. Which is what I do. I have one for TexGen_Output and one for DynDOLOD_ Output.

I restarted my computer this morning and I am still getting the same error, so that wasn't the issue. I've never had issue with the UAC or AntiVirus affecting it, but that doesn't mean things haven't changed. I have TexGen and DynDOLOD.exe whitelisted in my antivirus so I don't know that it would be the cause anyway. But I'm not sure how to tell if the UAC is interfering. How do you do that? Without having to change the account settings for everything? Should I run it as an administrator?

EDIT: Never mind the administrator part. It won't let me unless I run MO2 that way as well, and I'm 95% sure I read a warning against doing that somewhere.

I suggest to first check if some key files have been created and are installed properly. https://dyndolod.info/Messages/TexGen-Output#No-TexGen-output-detected

Do not change the folder structure of the content of the TexGen output folder when installing it as a mod. E.g. the folder "textures" needs to end up in the (virtual) ..\data\textures\ folder of the game. Use the zip output option, then use the mod manager to install the zip as any other mod.

Use the MO2 right windows data tab to make sure the files exist in the (virtual) data folder:
..\textures\DynDOLOD\LOD\version.ini
..\textures\DynDOLOD\LOD\TexGen.ini

I got it to run once, but it errored on a REFR from one of the mods. Tracking that down now with the author. Hopefully he responds. Still have no idea what was special about this morning or what I changed that might have gotten it to run. It failed twice, then ran the third time... Mondays....:doh:

EDIT: I disabled that patch for now (Ancient Land - CG4 Trees Patch.esp) and DynDOLOD ran all the way through. So I can at least run the game to see what kinds of issues I have now. I just upgraded to AE, but downgraded the Skyrim.exe and binkw64.dll back to 1.5.97.

Edited by skinjack

21 hours ago, sheson said:

Unfortunately, the log and debug log from DynDOLOD both only show loading and the being stopped at applying patches at the start.

Understood. I'll revisit the documentation again and see what I need to do in order to capture a better debug log for you if I can reproduce the issue. See below.

I suggest to use the Adrenalin 22.5.1 Recommended (WHQL) and not any of the optional newer drivers that still seem to contain bugs. If I understand it correctly the OpenGL driver was rewritten from the ground up, hopefully the cause of the problem is going to be fixed  in the near future.

If you have actual log and debug log with the error then upload anyway. There more I can collect of these the higher the chance I might be able to do a workaround.

I ran several tests this morning with both RenderDoc and the AMD GPU profiler running to try to capture the OpenGL compute shader that is executing when the bugcheck occurs.  I was going to submit a bug report to AMD but alas as fate would have it, I got four complete runs without the bugcheck occurring again on the AMD 2022.8.1 driver.

If I can reproduce the error again reliably I'll run the same procedure again and share it with you before submitting a bug report to AMD.

I'd also like to try it again with Mesa Injector running to force everything onto the CPU just to test. I'd like to try to eliminate buggy game assets before concluding it has anything to do with DynDOLOD or the AMD driver.

Typically do not disable any plugins - including the Bashed Patch. This warning is just in case someone still uses an old version of Wrye Bash that created broken plugins.

Yep I'm on the Bash dev team, mostly testing these days due to RL work. I'm running the Bash 311 nightly builds. I disabled the Bashed Patch to eliminate unknown variables. :)

Edited by Mertz

49 minutes ago, Mertz said:

Understood. I'll revisit the documentation again and see what I need to do in order to capture a better debug log for you if I can reproduce the issue.

When the program is closed, the normal log is appended to, the debug is replaced. So in case of error, rename debug log to keep it.

On 8/14/2022 at 3:08 AM, sheson said:

https://dyndolod.info/Mods/Majestic-Mountains
Download and install the DynDOLOD V3.0 LOD Pack from the mods file section overwriting all of DynDOLOD Resources SE.

Looking into the archive shows it contains lots of LOD meshes. They are required to be installed. That is why the instructions says to download and install the mod pack when Majestic Mountains is used. Not installing the LOD pack does not change anything about what a texture replacer does or doesn't do, since a texture replacer obviously needs to overwrite the main mod and its LOD pack either way.

https://dyndolod.info/Generation-Instructions#1-Generate-The-Required-LOD-Assets-with-TexGen

https://dyndolod.info/Help/TexGen
TexGen is a tool which updates a select list of object LOD textures and tree/grass LOD billboards which are then used by DynDOLOD to create the final texture atlasses used by object LOD and tree LOD in the game.

https://dyndolod.info/Help/TexGen#Rendered-Object-LOD-Textures
Note that the list of rendered object LOD textures is not covering all vanilla rendered object LOD textures. It can update the rendered object LOD textures for the walled cities and most structures. However, far away mountains, icebergs and glaciers are not yet covered. If a mod makes changes to these relevant full textures, it should also include updated pre-rendered object LOD textures.

The LOD0 mountain meshes are "HD LODS", which means whatever textures they define is typically not changed when a BTO is generated. What characters a filename contains does not change that (e.g. it does not matter that it contains "LOD"). Since the main mod contains mountainslabhqlod_n.dds, one would assume so should any well made texture replacer if it actually touches anything about the normal maps.

However, TexGen probably should update mountainslabhqlod_n.dds anyways. It seems like a bug or config is missing. I will check that for the next version.

RE @Phlunder's Glacier LOD textures and TexGen, please see these notes:

The not so obvious issue

The solution      ... even better solution

Some context about using Phlunder's Glacier LOD mod (the Mountain LOD file)

On 7/30/2022 at 8:33 AM, sheson said:

The first page says to "truncate large log files to the entire last meaningful generation" since each session is appended the log.

Stop/Uninstall other crapware from AMD that gets installed with the driver, like the AMD's Radeon Software. It caused problems before.

Add a line TextureCache=10 to ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\TexGen_[GAME MODE].INI to test if it makes a difference.

If there is an error with other textures, then update the new log and debug log.

Let me know which mod(s) the reported texture(s) come from. Test if it happens with vanilla.

Bringing back this issue from 2 weeks ago as I'm having the same error when running TexGen, I don't know whether it is related to my GPU driver or not. I tried adding the line you mentioned in the INI file and it seems to be crashing on a different texture. Here is the first log and here is the new one.

44 minutes ago, Kovenicus said:

Bringing back this issue from 2 weeks ago as I'm having the same error when running TexGen, I don't know whether it is related to my GPU driver or not. I tried adding the line you mentioned in the INI file and it seems to be crashing on a different texture. Here is the first log and here is the new one.

Read the first post which debug logs to also upload when making posts.

Always use the latest DynDOLOD 3 Alpha version as explained on the fist post.

Do not install any third party billboards as explained at https://dyndolod.info/Generation-Instructions#Prerequisites and https://dyndolod.info/Help/Tree-Grass-LOD-Billboards#3rd-Party-LOD-Billboards

On 8/14/2022 at 1:08 AM, sheson said:

https://dyndolod.info/Mods/Majestic-Mountains
Download and install the DynDOLOD V3.0 LOD Pack from the mods file section overwriting all of DynDOLOD Resources SE.

Looking into the archive shows it contains lots of LOD meshes. They are required to be installed. That is why the instructions says to download and install the mod pack when Majestic Mountains is used. Not installing the LOD pack does not change anything about what a texture replacer does or doesn't do, since a texture replacer obviously needs to overwrite the main mod and its LOD pack either way.

https://dyndolod.info/Generation-Instructions#1-Generate-The-Required-LOD-Assets-with-TexGen

https://dyndolod.info/Help/TexGen
TexGen is a tool which updates a select list of object LOD textures and tree/grass LOD billboards which are then used by DynDOLOD to create the final texture atlasses used by object LOD and tree LOD in the game.

https://dyndolod.info/Help/TexGen#Rendered-Object-LOD-Textures
Note that the list of rendered object LOD textures is not covering all vanilla rendered object LOD textures. It can update the rendered object LOD textures for the walled cities and most structures. However, far away mountains, icebergs and glaciers are not yet covered. If a mod makes changes to these relevant full textures, it should also include updated pre-rendered object LOD textures.

The LOD0 mountain meshes are "HD LODS", which means whatever textures they define is typically not changed when a BTO is generated. What characters a filename contains does not change that (e.g. it does not matter that it contains "LOD"). Since the main mod contains mountainslabhqlod_n.dds, one would assume so should any well made texture replacer if it actually touches anything about the normal maps.

However, TexGen probably should update mountainslabhqlod_n.dds anyways. It seems like a bug or config is missing. I will check that for the next version.

Yah, I find the issue with almost all mountain mods is that they don't include any textures for LODs.  and sounds like not installing the MM LOD pack will do nothing to correct the lack of textures, and end up without the meshes I need instead.  So I guess any texture replacer for Majestic Mountains, will just end up with the MM LOD textures.

I am just using the mountainslabhqlod_n.dds from MM lod pack as well.  The MM texture replacer I use is Northfire OG which doesn't have LOD texture support.

How much do you think setting LOD4 for mountains to "full" annihilate performance? 

Edited by Soulmancer

9 hours ago, Soulmancer said:

Yah, I find the issue with almost all mountain mods is that they don't include any textures for LODs.  and sounds like not installing the MM LOD pack will do nothing to correct the lack of textures, and end up without the meshes I need instead.  So I guess any texture replacer for Majestic Mountains, will just end up with the MM LOD textures.

I am just using the mountainslabhqlod_n.dds from MM lod pack as well.  The MM texture replacer I use is Northfire OG which doesn't have LOD texture support.

How much do you think setting LOD4 for mountains to "full" annihilate performance? 

As I already said, there is no need to use full models. Just use LOD0 mountain meshes in all stages, they are reduced full models and use full textures so they will always match with your mountain retexture. This can be done with DynDOLOD rules:

image.png

On 8/13/2022 at 3:34 PM, sheson said:

Noise.dds is a normal map overlay is applied to the terrain LOD textures in the game.

Read https://dyndolod.info/Help/Grass-LOD. It explains how grass LOD is in object LOD similar to ultra tree LOD with billboards. You will notice that those explanations do not mention noise.dds. That is because is irrelevant. It is also irrelevant to terrain LOD generation.

Terrain LOD and object LOD are completly different meshes/textures as explained at https://dyndolod.info/How-LOD-Works.

Thanks!!

I'm finally trying my hand at the step guide all the way through, and I've gotten snagged on TexGen. I don't know what it means by "old" DynDOLOD files, because this is a fresh install of Skyrim (AE) and I haven't done anything with DynDOLOD yet. I have the modding folder set up correctly, and the pathways are all correct to my knowledge.

I've also checked the FAQ, troubleshooting, error messages, and not found anything that mentions this specifically. Anything that might come close to my answer... doesn't seem to work.

why.png

2 hours ago, ruhr0hraggy1 said:

I'm finally trying my hand at the step guide all the way through, and I've gotten snagged on TexGen. I don't know what it means by "old" DynDOLOD files, because this is a fresh install of Skyrim (AE) and I haven't done anything with DynDOLOD yet. I have the modding folder set up correctly, and the pathways are all correct to my knowledge.

I've also checked the FAQ, troubleshooting, error messages, and not found anything that mentions this specifically. Anything that might come close to my answer... doesn't seem to work.

why.png

Did you click the link in that message?

34 minutes ago, z929669 said:

Did you click the link in that message?

Multiple Times.The only place where it's mentioned just says to uninstall the TexGen Output and rerun TexGen. Like, the TexGen Output Mod?? Or the Output Folder?? Either way, they're both empty. It doesn't even mention TexGen, it talks about the DynDOLOD archive.

47 minutes ago, ruhr0hraggy1 said:

Multiple Times.The only place where it's mentioned just says to uninstall the TexGen Output and rerun TexGen. Like, the TexGen Output Mod?? Or the Output Folder?? Either way, they're both empty. It doesn't even mention TexGen, it talks about the DynDOLOD archive.

TexGen Output mod holds files generated by TexGen in ..\DynDOLOD\TexGen_Output

Remove the files in the mod, rerun TexGen, and place the new output in that mod.