FO4LODGen

sheson

xLODGen generates LOD meshes and textures, no plugins.

Thanks for the clarification. I now realize that I'm confusing xLODGen with DynDOLOD, primarily because a search for the latter led me to posts for the former. And you were involved with both. Is there a DynDOLOD equivalent for FO4? If I create a dummy ESP to load an archive of the files I created, will this give me the same general effect as DynDOLOD? Do I leave the resourse ESPs active? Thanks, again!

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there a DynDOLOD equivalent for FO4?

No.

If I create a dummy ESP to load an archive of the files I created, will this give me the same general effect as DynDOLOD?

A dummy plugin is used to load archives and nothing else. The plugin(s) that DynDOLOD generates have a completely different purpose.

Do I leave the resourse ESPs active?

From first post: There is no hard requirement for the plugins that define unused LOD models and the FO4LODGen - Main.ba2 to be loaded in the game. However, if you notice flickering LOD textures or other odd behavior keep them in the load order.

The FO4LODGen-DLCCoast-WindTurbines.esp setting isFullLOD flag is for in-game use only obviously.

• 5 months later...

I don't know if I am supposed to post it here or on a new thread but is there a way to remove the trees from lod generation? I have a mod that makes the commonwealth have no trees and turns it into a desert , LODGen works fine for the most part except it generates trees and the mod is supposed to remove them so I get trees in the distance and a lot of poping in, I don't see an option in the settings nor an ini or something so im wondering if there's another way to get rid of em

I don't know if I am supposed to post it here or on a new thread but is there a way to remove the trees from lod generation? I have a mod that makes the commonwealth have no trees and turns it into a desert , LODGen works fine for the most part except it generates trees and the mod is supposed to remove them so I get trees in the distance and a lot of poping in, I don't see an option in the settings nor an ini or something so im wondering if there's another way to get rid of em

That depends how the mod removes the trees. LOD is added only for objects that are currently placed into the world.

Hmm im not sure now that you mention it NPCs tend to take cover behind invisible trees very frequently , the mod is Dustbowl overhaul

That mod just seems to replace the full model tree meshes with versions that do not show anything when loaded in the game.

The easiest solution would be to use xEdit to unset the "Has Distant LOD" flag on the base records for those trees.

• 1 month later...

Hey all. So I made a few trees that have completely new meshes and textures. I also have lod01 and 02 nif files.now i wana create lods for them.

Would i just have to put the lod meshes into my data folder (with the same name as the vanilla lod meshes), assign the textures and then click generate object lod or how would the whole process work? Read the other blog here but as a newbie would apprechiate some more clarification. Would like to include the lods for people to use alongside my new trees once its finished. Thanks in advance

Hey all. So I made a few trees that have completely new meshes and textures. I also have lod01 and 02 nif files.now i wana create lods for them.

Would i just have to put the lod meshes into my data folder (with the same name as the vanilla lod meshes), assign the textures and then click generate object lod or how would the whole process work? Read the other blog here but as a newbie would apprechiate some more clarification. Would like to include the lods for people to use alongside my new trees once its finished. Thanks in advance

If you made new records for the trees, use CK or xEdit to also set the LOD models on those records.

See here for CK screenshots: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/12446-building-custom-lods-exterior-structuresobjects/?p=205917

Once the LOD models are defined on the record, xLODGen (or CK) will know to use them when generating LOD.

Edited by sheson

If you made new records for the trees, use CK or xEdit to also set the LOD models on those records.

See here for CK screenshots: https://forum.step-project.com/topic/12446-building-custom-lods-exterior-structuresobjects/?p=205917

Once the LOD models are defined on the record, xLODGen (or CK) will know to use them when generating LOD.

Thanks for the answer. So set the Lods in CK, save as a new esp, activate the esp and then run xLODGen, is that correct?

Yes that should do it.

Thanks for your help. Could you tell me though, how i would be able to change the lod meshes for these kinda trees for example? Messed around in the CK a little with different trees, but saw that these models are somehow different and dont have a distant lod meshes change option (see attached link at the end.) Also cant seem to change them in xEdit. And they are shown as vanilla in the CK, even though i changed the mesh for them too. Thanks in advance

https://ibb.co/JdRz8q2

Thanks for your help. Could you tell me though, how i would be able to change the lod meshes for these kinda trees for example? Messed around in the CK a little with different trees, but saw that these models are somehow different and dont have a distant lod meshes change option (see attached link at the end.) Also cant seem to change them in xEdit. And they are shown as vanilla in the CK, even though i changed the mesh for them too. Thanks in advance

https://ibb.co/JdRz8q2

Static Collections are a group of objects. When xLODGen generates LOD, it will use the LOD NIFs defined on the records of the individual objects - if they exist. Not all parts of the collection require to have LOD NIFs in order for the collection to have LOD, it will just what is available.

So based your screenshot 3 of the 4 objects will have LOD since TreeMapleblasted06 does not have LOD models defined.

Edited by sheson

• 2 weeks later...

How do I reset the default values? Holding CTRL+SHIFT+ALT does nothing.

You can use notepad to  delete the [FO4 LOD Options] section from c:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Fallout4\Plugins.fo4viewsettings or just the entire file to reset all FO4Edit/FO4LODGen settings.

Edited by sheson

I get a message saying I am missing the  FO4_XLODGEN_Options.txt (or something like this) file from the Edit Scripts folder. I couldn't copy the exact message, sry. But looking in the Edit Scripts folder, there is no ...._Options.txt file

Lod seems to generate ok for me. But I do get a strange flickering when its sunny weather and looking in a certain direction. I read compression might be the issue? I have tried lowering Specular strength of my lod nifs as well as darkening the specular white areas. 

But after reading about compression I am thinking that might be the cause. I always Generate with dtx1 as diffuse and 5 for normal and spec. Should I try 888? and if so, is that just on the diffuse or on all 3?

Sry this video is bad quality but the issue is most noticable around 25 seconds in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVaWlVRXrDY