FO4LODGen

sheson

Sure, here you go:

i403zc.png

The size I got through properties is exactly the same though:

2eg6178.png

If you need any additional information just let me know and I'll be more than happy to provide it.

Not that important, a next version of LODGen will just skip the file, since nothing useful for LOD is in there anyways.

Sounds great! :)

Edited by El_Rizzo

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like incomplete object LOD or very short LOD distances in settings.

Thanks for the fast reply. Definatly not the setting, I have them maxed out via .ini tweaks and the look good in vanilla, just lacking some details as usuall in Beth games.

What do you mean by incomplete object LOD? LODGEN ends with a massage that all went along fine.

It creates 2 terrain folders (for meshes and textures), atlas also looks good.

Having a few mods installed, should I run LODGen without them?

What do you mean by incomplete object LOD? LODGEN ends with a massage that all went along fine.

I take for your word for it. Then I must assume that the static object LOD generated by FO4LODGen must be complete and fine. Hard to tell without logs and export file to verify.

You could use nifkskope to compare some of the generated *.bto with the vanilla ones to check if they are in order or if they are missing the objects.

If the *.bto and maybe texture atlas are fine, then the reason for the LOD not to showing, must be something else you did or didn't do that is required to show loose? static object LOD in Fallout 4. Typically it would use the vanilla *.bto files though if just the files are wrongly placed or whatever.

Edited by sheson

I really don't know, just followed the guide here. I did it twice.

Also I did not have problems with TES or FO3.

When you say "required to show loose static object LOD in Fallout 4" what do you mean exactly? is there something else I must do in the ini?

Loose files are all showing up, as far as I can tell. Aint that many anyways.

I am thinking of the sResourceDataDirsFinal= list that needs to be added to Fallout4.ini for loose files to be discovered AFAIK.

You really should compare some of the *.bto to make sure object LOD generated correctly.

I am thinking of the sResourceDataDirsFinal= list that needs to be added to Fallout4.ini for loose files to be discovered AFAIK.

You really should compare some of the *.bto to make sure object LOD generated correctly.

Of course I have that in my ini.

I give up. I had a look at several .bto files and they all do look perfectly fine. Showing advanced LOD using the new texture atlas without issues. Still no LODs at all in game. :/

291g8t5.jpg

Edited by SpaceMad

If you used xLODGen from first post, try the xLODGen beta or vice versa.

Another test to make sure that there is not anything wrong with the meshes/textures generated by xLODGen would be to unpack the existing LOD files and see if they load that way.

I would do the most basic setup and testing. Default game, default INIs with only sResourceDataDirsFinal updated, meshes and textures in the data folder with no mod manager.

Edited by sheson

I now tried everything in and out. With default .ini's and without mods. I also tried both versions with different settings.
Still there is no way to make the LOD show up in game by now. :( This is very dissapointing. Never had any problems with LODGen with other games before.
However it says something like that there is no options file to be found "...FO4LODGen\Edit Scripts\FO4LODGen_Commonwealth_Options.txt"

I now tried everything in and out. With default .ini's and without mods. I also tried both versions with different settings.

Still there is no way to make the LOD show up in game by now. :( This is very dissapointing. Never had any problems with LODGen with other games before.

However it says something like that there is no options file to be found "...FO4LODGen\Edit Scripts\FO4LODGen_Commonwealth_Options.txt"

That message does not matter.

You need to establish if the generated LOD *.bto are fine/valid or not, e.g. has the generated LOD a problem or the setup. I can only help with the former. If you upload a bto file I could check.

Edited by sheson

It seems there might have been a bug in the most recent LODGen.exe version. Get xLODGen beta 9 or newer and see if it solves your problem.

Allright thanks, I tried the linked version and its working, but only if I do not specify any output folder and write it directly to the game path. 
However, I now have an other problem. The LODs are looking great, but I tracked them down to be the issue of CTD. The game will allmost everytime CTD when I leave an interior at goodneighbor or diamond city. There arn't any issues when I'm on the commenwealth worldspace. But Goodneighbor and Diamond City are unplayable with my custom LODs. What are the optimal settings? I used 512 px texture size. DX5 compression and basically not changed any of the values. Alpha threshold is 110.

Thanks so much for your support. I apprichiate it

Edited by SpaceMad

Here are my custom made LOD files. Maybe you could give it a try and see if the CTD happens for you to?

https://mega.nz/#!WSgFDAxa!Wa8tzwKAX8yjYFoiwPXpSYJpF-ihn2DWGq7j8pGUMfw

The CTD is easy to reproduce.

1. Enter Goodneighbor

2. Go into an interior (Bobbi's place or the Hotel)

3. Save the game in the interior.

4. Restart game and load the save.

5. Leaving the interior now will cause CTD for me every time. (Only way to leave the room without CTD is via coc comand as long as it goes to a commenwealth cell.

Allright thanks, I tried the linked version and its working, but only if I do not specify any output folder and write it directly to the game path.

What is not working when you set a dedicated output path? I suggest to always generate to an empty dedicated folder to avoid overwriting existing files in the data folder. Then create archive from there.

However, I now have an other problem. The LODs are looking great, but I tracked them down to be the issue of CTD. The game will allmost everytime CTD when I leave an interior at goodneighbor or diamond city.

Typically either the LOD meshes/textures work or they don't. If a problem is not 100% repeatable it most likely has an unrelated cause.

Especially, it should not matter from where or how the got to a location, either be it by walking, exiting an interior or fast traveling from afar.

It could be a resource problem for example - though that seems a unlikely with the 64 bit engine, maybe VRAM limits, not sure I have not spend much time with FO4 or modding it.

What are the optimal settings? I used 512 px texture size. DX5 compression and basically not changed any of the values. Alpha threshold is 110.

The defaults are based on the vanilla game, though Bethesda can not decide between DXT1 or DXT5 either. They use either across the main worldspace and the DLC. Visually and performance there won't be much of a noticeable difference.

Here are my custom made LOD files. Maybe you could give it a try and see if the CTD happens for you to?

https://mega.nz/#!WSgFDAxa!Wa8tzwKAX8yjYFoiwPXpSYJpF-ihn2DWGq7j8pGUMfw

The CTD is easy to reproduce.

1. Enter Goodneighbor

2. Go into an interior (Bobbi's place or the Hotel)

3. Save the game in the interior.

4. Restart game and load the save.

5. Leaving the interior now will cause CTD for me every time. (Only way to leave the room without CTD is via coc comand as long as it goes to a commenwealth cell.

The LOD files you uploaded work fine in my game entering/exiting lots of different buildings in Goodneighbour.

However, there is something off with the BTO meshes you uploaded. The alpha threshold on transparent shapes is set to 0 instead of 110 and that indicates something is amiss. I have no idea how that happened and I never have that happened here.

For example check Commonwealth.4.0.0.bto in nifskope. Find a BSSubIndexTriShape with obj-at as its name an unfold it to find the NiAlphaProperty to see its Threshold value. It should be the 110 from the options.

Maybe try to generate (just Commonwealth) with beta 10 I just uploaded today and check again.

Edited by sheson