Smart NPC Potions - Enemies Use Potions and Poisons (by JaySerpa)

z929669

Discussion topic:
Smart NPC Potions - Enemies Use Potions and Poisons by JaySerpa
Wiki Link

An alternative to EEOS with respect to potions to avoid flooding the economy with extra potions (can still use EEOS for spells/shouts) by allowing for modulation via MCM. Uses scripting rather than SPID to determine who has a probability of having/using potions (I like this method better than most carte blanch SPID approaches)

Also see the associated Settings Loader for this mod.

NEED WILLING TESTERS - If anyone wants to test this with or in comparison to EEOS (with that potions SPID disabled), it would be appreciated. We have some data.

• 2 weeks later...

I replaced EEOS potions with this mod in my Step 2.0.0 install and have been playing for a few weeks. I think this mod does a far better job than EEOS with regard to not over-saturating potion drops on NPCs. My only slight complaint is that I've run into multiple (fairly low-level) enemies that use 3-ish healing potions when I'm fighting them, which feels like just a little too much. I think this could likely be resolved with an MCM tweak to lower the "Max number of potions", but I haven't yet tried making any changes to the MCM (or else it could maybe be resolved by adding potion drinking animations as soupdragon suggested). I haven't fought many higher-level enemies yet so I can't speak to how well it works as you advance further.

Overall, though, I like this mod and plan to continue playing with it.

• Thanks 1

On 8/9/2022 at 9:08 PM, egocarib said:

I replaced EEOS potions with this mod in my Step 2.0.0 install and have been playing for a few weeks. I think this mod does a far better job than EEOS with regard to not over-saturating potion drops on NPCs. My only slight complaint is that I've run into multiple (fairly low-level) enemies that use 3-ish healing potions when I'm fighting them, which feels like just a little too much. I think this could likely be resolved with an MCM tweak to lower the "Max number of potions", but I haven't yet tried making any changes to the MCM (or else it could maybe be resolved by adding potion drinking animations as soupdragon suggested). I haven't fought many higher-level enemies yet so I can't speak to how well it works as you advance further.

Overall, though, I like this mod and plan to continue playing with it.

Tagged accepted for 2.1.0. We're recommending to reduce the max potions that can be used by an NPC during a fight from 4 to 3. This number is randomly assigned at the start of the fight, and NPCs have a 40% chance of using potions in a given fight. So 40% of fights with bandit, mage, and assassin NPCs will result in the NPC using 1 to 3 potions during a fight.

Three potion uses should be seen in about 0.40 * 0.33 = 13% of these fights.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the MCM recommendations. I assume i can install this and just sort alphabetically under 'Gameplay - AI & Combat'? (Mod is not in the guide or changelog yet, MCM settings are in the guide though ...)

Edited by CorneliusC

4 hours ago, CorneliusC said:

Thank you for the MCM recommendations. I assume i can install this and just sort alphabetically under 'Gameplay - AI & Combat'? (Mod is not in the guide or changelog yet, MCM settings are in the guide though ...)

Sorry we missed adding this one. It's added now under Gameplay - Skills and Perks

• 2 months later...
On 11/24/2022 at 11:02 AM, fartooloud said:

Hi, no FOMOD installer showing up while installing the mod. Checked 3 times. If its not my mistake (which could be, since im complete newbie) might be worth to update the installation note. Not a big deal but a quick fix in the guide.

True. Instructions updated.