Missing Batch Files for Fallout DDSopt

Cbode1

Question

I was going through the Fallout DDSopt quick-start guide when I found that the batch files necessary for texture optimization no longer exist. The intended link to the files is posted pretty prominently at the start of the guide and the language of the guide makes it seem like there's no way around using those specific files, so I was wondering if any users had any suggestions about workarounds or other download mirrors that I could/should use. Thanks a million.

5 answers to this question

On 6/26/2021 at 5:33 PM, Cbode1 said:

I was going through the Fallout DDSopt quick-start guide when I found that the batch files necessary for texture optimization no longer exist. The intended link to the files is posted pretty prominently at the start of the guide and the language of the guide makes it seem like there's no way around using those specific files, so I was wondering if any users had any suggestions about workarounds or other download mirrors that I could/should use. Thanks a million.

Evidently, we removed the file from the server probably when moving the site. I determined this after restoring the page in question.

I can look on the server backend, but I will bet that it was deleted.

DDSopt has not been maintained or updated for several years, so we no longer use or recommend it for Skyrim. It still can be used to correct certain textures in batch, but several key features were never fully implemented in DDSopt. I don't know the status of the vanilla textures for Fallout games.

@Majorman is our FalloutNV guide curator, and he likely has the best info for you in this regard.

I've never used DDSopt as it's seems to be too much of a hassle for a (rather) limited performance boost. Basically you will end up replacing most of the textures with mods from Nexus anyway, so the optimized textures will rarely take effect. Also note that DDSopt was part of the guide back in 2016/2017 (if I remember correctly) when 3GB VRAM was the standard for videocards. Nowadays those cards easily go above 6 GB of VRAM (provided you manage to get your hands on one of those before the miners do), so texture size is no longer an issue.

So, after this boring introduction, I can suggest downloading some pre-optimized, ready-to-use textures that somebody has uploaded to Nexus. The author claims to have used DDSopt oin the process. I don't use that mod, so use at your risk if you're still set on optimizing textures.

3 hours ago, Majorman said:

So, after this boring introduction, I can suggest downloading some pre-optimized, ready-to-use textures that somebody has uploaded to Nexus. The author claims to have used DDSopt oin the process. I don't use that mod, so use at your risk if you're still set on optimizing textures.

Exactly my caution: Batch optimizing always fixes a bunch of compression issues only to trade for new ones unless the author has painstakingly identified all of the 'exceptions' and processed those differently or not at all. If DDSopt was fully functional, then it would work as intended, but one of its issues is that not all INI config params are honored, or some of the features of interest are just faux.

I've generally had mixed results with DDSOpt. Some of the textures may be optimized nicely whereas others may be degraded quality compared to the original textures. I much prefer to use good texture packs from Nexus such as NMs Texture Pack for New Vegas, Wasteland Flor and Terrain Overhaul, Textures Over Time, etc. to replace the majority of the vanilla textures.