Site Maintenance ×

Duke Patricks - Heavy Weapons Combat

Bealdwine

Duke Patricks - Heavy Weapons Combat

Afraid I'm just throwing this one out here as a 'realism' option without testing as I am short on time... however it was one of my favorite mods in TESIV and if it has enjoyed a successful port there should be few if any conflicts. It makes combat significantly harder but far more interesting ;)

The mod author has many years experience of actual combat with the SCA (The Society for Creative Anachronism) which makes it fairly authentic.

I've been running Duke Patrick's Skyrim version of his Oblivion mod since late December, as well as updating each time a new release came about.

Very worthwhile. But, by Duke's own admission, the mod is far from complete.

Despite that, I still think the mod should have stayed in STEP. It does what it does very well despite being "incomplete".

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update - this IS definately hardcore, lol. With it your fights will take much longer, you will constantly drain out of Stamina and find you cannot make an attack at all... and in the early stages you will succumb to packs of wolves very quickly so be prepared to make a mad sprinting run for Riverwood. (even then it is possible for the wolves to trip you/bring you down).

Having said that I still think this is a brilliant mod. I have never felt so vulnerable in Tamriel before and it has a direct impact on immersion and how I have to think about my game-play. +1

Just another point of note: If you want to alter any setting in HWC I found that using the recommended console commands didn't always work (?) so I had to alter them in the \Data\aadpCombat config file directly. (Remember when doing this to be sure that you haven't resaved this file with a .txt name - MS Notepad has a nasty habit of doing that. I always use Notepad++).

+1 to notepad++ :PIn regards to the mod, how hard are fights with dragons?

Lol, I'll tell you when I get there, this is really slowing me down atm as I need to take so much more care... love it! :D

This is sounding like a mod I will enjoy once I actually start playing again. Starting fresh as well to get the total experience. Will be interested in your take on the first dragon fight at the western watch tower.

+1 to notepad++ :PIn regards to the mod' date=' how hard are fights with dragons?[/quote']Lol' date=' I'll tell you when I get there, this is really slowing me down atm as I need to take so much more care... love it! :D[/quote']This is sounding like a mod I will enjoy once I actually start playing again. Starting fresh as well to get the total experience. Will be interested in your take on the first dragon fight at the western watch tower.

You may be there before me, I've decided to take my time to Whiterun as I always felt the status you are given there came a bit early. So I'm going to check for all the encounters around Riverwood and back up toward Helgen getting used to the combat changes before I move on (also giving me time to work on my Crafting during this time too).

As far as the mod goes I disabled the 'ducking/dodge' part as too slow on my rig, and reduced the CombatEndurance stamina drain to 1 (default 2) but that may go as well. It's great but I get frustrated that I often cannot follow up on an attack that has staggered or opened my opponent because I used all my stamina. (I may well reinstate these at higher lebel).

If I get to dragons before you I'll fill you in ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I use ACE, but I don't use DP's mod (using Duel instead, with the ACE compatability patch). The Realistic Fighting module is built to be compatible with Duel, and while I don't know I think there might be some funny/unfortunate side-effects from running it with DP - Heavy Weapons Combat :)

• 1 year later...