Septim HD (by Crypton)

stoppingby4now

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My question is are the Septims minted in Skyrim at all. IMO they would be made in Cyrodiil which would have access to more advanced minting methods. Also I find it hard to believe that there haven't been any technological advances between games but hey that's me and I can also see Zed here's point. (Yes z929669 you are now Zed)

I could take it or leave it. It's not that big of a factor unless you look at them really up close. (who's standing around staring at coins instead of playing the game?) Personally, I grab them up so quickly I've never noticed the detailing on the coins.

The first few times I went through the STEP installation, I left this mod out because I felt the same way. I thought the design was too sharp and modern looking. However, at some point I finally decided to try it out, and I honestly don't think the design looks nearly as modern when used in the game. It's a very small item, and much of the detail can't really be seen (which in itself isn't an argument in favor of this texture). However, the reason I like this mod and continue to use it is that the color of the coins is so much better...more metallic, with a more convincing gold appearance.

Well, if you want to get technical, Z is correct about the detail. The level of detail in the retexture is not accurate for the time period, even if it's forged in Cyrodiil. Also, the color is off in the retexture. It's not of any gold color I've ever seen on any gold coin that isn't modern. The modern coins come close to the color; however, these coins are very pure and highly polished. Older coins from similar eras that Skyrim would be from aren't as pure or polished. This means vanilla is closer. Need proof? Okay. Search "Roman Gold Coin" on Google Images. The Roman's were a very wealthy and advanced civilization for its time. You can see the level of detail, or lack there of, in the Roman coins. The below coin (Roman) is a good example. There is some detail there; however, not the level that the Septim HD provides. Also note its color.

Posted Image

I won't argue the fact that the detail, when viewed up close, is too modern. I just don't think that level of detail is really apparent in game, so for me it's not a sufficient argument to drop the mod (or for that matter to support it staying). However, I do think the coins look better in game, and the color can certainly be found represented by plenty of ancient gold coins.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I don't know that the time period argument applies. If you consider that the Dwemer have been gone for thousands? of years and they have living robots more advanced than a Roomba*1000, then spiffy coins isn't a reach.

I just think sometimes the comparison to Earth isn't very valid lore-wise.

I won't argue the fact that the detail, when viewed up close, is too modern. I just don't think that level of detail is really apparent in game, so for me it's not a sufficient argument to drop the mod (or for that matter to support it staying). However, I do think the coins look better in game, and the color can certainly be found represented by plenty of ancient gold coins.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Coin collecting 101...never! chemically clean your coins! I provided the shot I did because it appeared to be pure. I can't be positive; however, in appearance most of these appear to have been given a chemical bath which will make them shine in such a way (not to mention degrade their value in most cases). The second shot is the most likely as that "purpling" on the coin is most likely from the chemicals reacting with the gold. (yes, i shamefully admit I have a coin collection of my own) :facepalm: In any case, it would seem we'll need some in-game compares.

I don't know that the time period argument applies. If you consider that the Dwemer have been gone for thousands? of years and they have living robots more advanced than a Roomba*1000, then spiffy coins isn't a reach.

I just think sometimes the comparison to Earth isn't very valid lore-wise.

True, but unless the Dwemers forged all the coins or the tech to do so in detail was stolen from them, I would say the argument is value. Especially considering you fail to find any of this tech outside of the ruins themselves in other places in the game.

Actually what makes the coins look too modern is the fact that they are perfectly round with perfectly aligned edges. Both the mod and vanilla are this way and therefore both versions tend to look more like modern coins than ancient coins.

Here are some fairly detailed ancient coins. Perhaps not as detailed as the mod, but certainly more detailed than vanilla. In particular, look at the fine lines used within the hair, and the nice smooth curves in the cheek and neck. I think the level of detail that was possible (even if it wasn't common) in the ancient era, let alone the medieval era, and the variable degree of technology that appears to be present in Skyrim would not preclude fairly detailed coins. There is so much inconsistency and anachronistic technology in the game that it's really difficult to make an argument based on technology, particularly when the vanilla mesh suggests a fairly modern representation of a coin.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I made some in-game comparison shots ages ago. I'll see if I can dig them up.

Here are some screenshots. To me the issue is not the detail or color but rather the reflectivity. The vanilla coins are dull yellow circles and really don't have the shine I would associate with gold (or any other metal). The modded coins reflect the light and have a much more metallic appearance.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interesting... the overall lighting is different in the two shots as well as the lock picks. The second shot is overall brighter. You must reverted back to 100% vanilla in the first shot? At any rate, I would say I still prefer vanilla from these two shots. You can in-fact, see some bloom from the vanilla coins with as well as from the Septim HD. However, the vanilla shot is what I would expect more from gold than the second shot. They are almost too "reflective", imo, as if a flashlight was being shined directly on them. Seeing 99% of nighttime Skyrim lighting is candles, the "reflectivity" is too much, imo, when considering the light source. The coins in the second shot is also not consistent with the surroundings or the gold candle holder would also be shining just a brightly or more so consider it is more likely to be polished than the coins are.

Just my observations... Vanilla is my vote unless someone can sway me with a convincing enough counter. Still interested in hearing from Z considering he's to one that started this.

I see everyone's points of view; however, I also prefer vanilla ... the more yellowish color, the more ragged appearance, the lack of detail around the edges in particular.

The best screenshots are provided by the author. I think vanilla is a work of art and the texture even adds imperfections that just seem 'right' to me:

Posted Image

Lastly, given that there are many coins in the world space, this is a clutter object that really does not need the VRAM overhead that this mod adds.

No, everything is exactly the same except the texture of the coins and the lockpicks. I think the lockpick texture is from Lockpick Inventory Remodel, but I would have to go back to my notes to check for certain. The change in brightness is due to the candles; the shot was taken at a different point in their flicker cycle.

I don't think the bloom in the vanilla shot is particularly convincing. Also, I think the coins would probably appear more polished than the candlestick just from being handled more frequently. I also doubt that the candlestick would be pure gold and therefore it would be more prone to tarnish or corrosion than the coins.

Fair enough, I respect both of your opinions, but I'll continue to vote to maintain this mod. ;)

EDIT: I don't think there really are that many coins in the world space, are there? At most you'll find maybe 5-6 at a time, but they aren't all that frequent.