Septim HD (by Crypton)

stoppingby4now

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well' date=' may as well chip my my two cents: There's another septim replacer simply named Gold Coin Replacer that might be more accurate to the setting. Has anyone taken a look at it yet?

Um... call me crazy but the front of Gold Coin Replacer and Septim HD is an exact match besides color. I think we have a case of thievery here. Gold Coin Replacer was uploaded to nexus before Septim HD with no credit given to either or.

Well' date=' may as well chip my my two cents: There's another septim replacer simply named Gold Coin Replacer that might be more accurate to the setting. Has anyone taken a look at it yet?

Um... call me crazy but the front of Gold Coin Replacer and Septim HD is an exact match besides color. I think we have a case of thievery here. Gold Coin Replacer was uploaded to nexus before Septim HD with no credit given to either or.

They're not the same. I checked in Photoshop, and while the textures obviously use the same source material for the coin, they're not the same textures.

If these are both legit, then I would vote for Gold Coin Replacer. It seems to be closer to a vanilla replacer than Septim HD.

Gold Coin Replacer  >>  Septim HD

Posted Image Posted Image

I have not looked in Photoshop, but even if a few edits were made, the file checksums would be different ... it does not mean that Septim HD did not use GCR textures as the source, does it? Look at the edges of the coins. Septim HD claims to have used vanilla source, but the finer edges were "remade". It would seem from these shots that GCR and Septim HD both use the same "remade" source and not vanilla.

I personally like GCR better than Septim ND (the latter looks like brass, not gold), but I like vanilla best still. The vanilla coins look like they have been rubbing around in change purses for longer.

I'm with Z on this one. Definitely prefer the vanilla style. The coins look like they've been in the circulation for quite a long time now, rather than straight from the mint (or whatever they call the place to produce coins in the Empire :) ). The Empire is a vast territory, it is weakened by the events of past couple of hundred of years. Distribution of brand new coins across the provinces they are still in control of wouldn't be their highest priority I think, hence the coins should rather be rugged and rough.

• 2 months later...

I would have to agree with a few others here. I don't believe this belongs in Core STEP. Maybe extended STEP as an alternative. The GCR is a better mod for Core, giving a higher quality texture while maintaining the vanilla look and feel.

As for whether the coins should look new or old? It's a personal preference, but just pull the change out of your pocket. How many look like they just came from the mint? Even if you go to the bank and get brand new coins they don't stay looking new very long.

Hey guys I just made a two minute edit on the vanilla coin, baked some fake ambient occlusion in it, and added some fine wear to it. Have no idea if it will look odd or not, but it's here if you want it. The vanilla coin file size is big enough for such a small object IMO.

Coin.zip

Hey guys I just made a two minute edit on the vanilla coin, baked some fake ambient occlusion in it, and added some fine wear to it. Have no idea if it will look odd or not, but it's here if you want it. The vanilla coin file size is big enough for such a small object IMO.

Coin.zip

Not bad, but a bit grainy for a coin.

I like the vanilla motif, but a bit higher res in a smooth-worn sort of way and better specularity/reflectivity would be good :D

• 4 months later...