Lexy's: Legacy of The Dragonborn Special Edition

Yeah, 

cool I'll take a look. Just for your info I knew Wheels of Lull was so broken it wouldn't even open in the CK that's why I haven't added it to the guide. There was a update so you might want to give that a try. Also Picky updated the BadGemlins mods and they work without issue now cos i have tested

Yeah, 3.1 is the one I've been working with all day. I don't have any problems with it in SSE Edit but, Wrye Bash flags it when you try to merge AND, I can't get it to save in CK.  It crashes every time.  

Those are a red flags.  So, I cleaned it with SSE Edit and got 1,600 deletes. That was another red flag.  The author in both versions of Skyrim has never answered if you should clean it or not.   And I just get the feeling from both the original author and the new guy who did the conversion that they lack attention or concern for detail. 

Not to be defeated, I tried running the script I pasted a few pages back to remove the underscores "_" in the FormID's and update the references.  It still crashed in CK.

Too many red flags for me to chance on. I don't want to be troubleshooting a mystery crash down the road and be having that mod in the back of my mind...

This all could be prejudice on my part.  I confess, I am officially a Wheels of Lull hater at this point.

-Xaxilis

Edited by Xaxilis

Thanks sirjesto.  I gave it a try.  It still giving me the same red flags. I know these, at least at this point, are game breakers but, I feel like it belies a lack of quality under the hood so, when I add them up they are deal breakers for me.

Wrye Bash Error Output;

WheelsOfLull.esp: 
Wrye Bash SSE expects a newer format for STAT.DNAM than found.
Load and save WheelsOfLull.esp with the Skyrim SE CK
STAT.DNAM: Expected size == 12, but got: 8
Error loading 'STAT' record and/or subrecord: 0400AA50
  eid = u'_Lull_DomeExterior'
  subrecord = 'DNAM'
  subrecord size = 8
  file pos = 407800
Error in WheelsOfLull.esp

I then loaded it into CK and tried to save it only to get a crash.

Its a bad mod with sloppy work imo.

-Xaxilis The Wheels of Lull Hater

Thank you, I'll try it out. How to identify which mod or DDS is using BC7 format? Or it is not necessary and it will skip BC7's?

I'm not an expert in DDSOpt as I've become acquainted with it only recently by following the classic version of this guide. I do advise you to use it as a reference, as it contains instructions on some textures that need optimization and links to the STEP article describing in detail the procedure you should use, how to set up DDSOpt and the different options for optimization. I've never used Optimizer Textures/Ordenador but I've read about it and conclude that it's more direct and user friendly, while DDSOpt gives you much more fine control and results in greater quality (optimized) textures.

In the classic guide there are a few mods that have textures requiring optimization, and those are clearly pointed out (examples, Falskaar, Helgen Reborn or bethesda's own textures - if you prefer to do the optimization yourself instead of downloading the pre-made optimized packs also linked in the guide). From my experience in porting mods to SSE, I'd bet people (mod authors as well as mod users) will convert the plugins and havok animations, optimize meshes and, more recently (only mod authors) recompile dll's for SKSE64. Since textures are pretty much directly usable in SSE, most will probably leave them as in the original classic Skyrim mod. SOOOOO - I *assume* that those mods that the classic guide points out as needing optimization will also benefit from the same procedure in this build. If you want you can ask the author or try reading around to find whether or not it's really necessary, but as a rule of thumb you can always try to optimize and if it doesn't yield any gain, the textures were probably already optimized.

While optimizing, I'd advise you to try first using the maximum quality constraints (8k x 8k, lossless compression, check the setup guide with images). Many textures will benefit by simply being arranged in an optimal way and those settings will achieve you that, with zero loss in quality. If you need further reduction to save more VRAM try using other compression options or even downsampling textures by using stricter constraints (like 2k x 2k or lower). An important thing about DDSOpt is that it allows you to optimize color maps, normal maps and other types of textures separately, only by using wildcards when selecting which textures to optimize - this procedure is described in the links provided in the classic guide for optimizing bethesda textures, you need to pay full attention to not miss any detail in the instructions. You absolutely DON'T HAVE TO optimize different maps using different settings; only if you need further reduction, downsampling normal maps, for example, while leaving color maps in full resolution may achieve you enough VRAM saving with minimal loss in quality. And DDSOpt gives you that much control.

This was not a direct answer to your question but I thought I might add this much. I don't know if BC7 textures will be skipped or not. My suggestion would be to ask in the DDSOpt download page, where, by the way, @alt3rn1ty has recently relinked the documentation wiki which had its link down in the description page. "Might" be worth reading ;)

Add: another useful link concerning DDSOpt: https://www.darkcreations.org/forums/topic/1639-rel-vanilla-reduced-textures/

Edited by godescalcus

Add more to the previous post: upon further reading, it seems that mods that were repacked for the SSE using the official archiver (probably all or most that have their assets packed in the BA2 format) would have their textures converted to BC7 format, so check for that in mods that you want to optimize, namely those I mentioned that require optimization according to the classic guide. In the light of this fact, I'd say all mods released originally for SSE and many mods that were ported and packed using the official tools won't require/allow optimization using either Optimizer Textures/Ordenador or DDSOpt. These are tools made for the 32bit version that have not been updated to work with SSE's new assets' formats. Source: https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4950-optimized-vanilla-textures/

Edited by godescalcus

Lexy, here's another headache for you! ;) https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15166

SSE is at boiling temperature, I love how every day there are news and updates. Although it means it will take more time for all of us to achieve a stabilized build, let alone a final one.

OK (big sigh) I have created a quick ASIS patch since that is the only Skyproc Patcher we have at the moment the only oddities I can see is the "Compressed" flags hasn't been forwarded apart from that it look OK to me. I only ran the NPC enchantment Fix since that is all we use at the moment. I will get Darth to compare the SSE ASIS patch with that of our Classic one.

I was just debating what to do with Skyrim Audio Overhaul if it was worth adding the patches since all but 1 we will need merge into the bash patch or should I just deal with them in the CR like we did for Classic.

OK (big sigh) I have created a quick ASIS patch since that is the only Skyproc Patcher we have at the moment the only oddities I can see is the "Compressed" flags hasn't been forwarded apart from that it look OK to me. I only ran the NPC enchantment Fix since that is all we use at the moment. I will get Darth to compare the SSE ASIS patch with that of our Classic one.

I was just debating what to do with Skyrim Audio Overhaul if it was worth adding the patches since all but 1 we will need merge into the bash patch or should I just deal with them in the CR like we did for Classic.

I'm also trying Immersive Sounds Compendium (with patch provided by AO2) and I must say I like it so far, especially the weapon sounds.

I really don't know what happens with mods that DON'T make it into the bashed patch, like an overall CR probably won't. Patches merging into the bashed patch will override it, or does the bashed patch check for overrides and incorporate them in the merge? I tend to believe it handles these conflicts, but will try to get a confirmation. If it doesn't, probably a specific audio CR would be best as it would probably also make it into the bashed patch and the latter will then be conflict resolved.

The skyproc patcher page mentions DSR - is it going to make it into the guide? I'm just curious as I didn't use it in the classic, since I never play in third person... Only see the back of my character during horse rides, mining or kill scenes.

Edited by godescalcus

I'm also trying Immersive Sounds Compendium (with patch provided by AO2) and I must say I like it so far, especially the weapon sounds. I wonder if these audio mod patches are mergeable. I know they shouldn't be if they had sound files themselves, but if they're simple esp's, shouldn't they?

The skyproc patcher page mentions DSR - is it going to make it into the guide? I'm just curious as I didn't use it in the classic, since I never play in third person... Only see the back of my character during horse rides, mining or kill scenes.

I am also going to look at Immersive Sounds Compendium this time yes all the patches are merge able in fact all but 1 from AOS2 self merges into the Bash Patch and the one the doesn't (SkyTest) is only a single record.

As for DSR I have decided best to wait until Neo does his thing.

Add more to the previous post: upon further reading, it seems that mods that were repacked for the SSE using the official archiver (probably all or most that have their assets packed in the BA2 format) would have their textures converted to BC7 format, so check for that in mods that you want to optimize, namely those I mentioned that require optimization according to the classic guide. In the light of this fact, I'd say all mods released originally for SSE and many mods that were ported and packed using the official tools won't require/allow optimization using either Optimizer Textures/Ordenador or DDSOpt. These are tools made for the 32bit version that have not been updated to work with SSE's new assets' formats. Source: https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/4950-optimized-vanilla-textures/

Thank you for your answer, I'll check out these links, seem interesting! Probably I can live without optimisation, my game works surprisingly smooth and stable without any further optimisation (with all flora and towns/city mods from this guide and with ENB). As long as my FPS doesn't drop below 30 in the most "heavy" areas, I'm completely fine. Actually my FPS is 40-60 most of the time, so I'm good.

Thank you one more time!

Edited by Yamnyak_King

This sounds like a mod that might be worth considering :)

SkyrimSouls - Unpaused Game Menus

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15170

OMG, good news. Thank You.

As well as

Lexy, here's another headache for you! ;) https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/15166

SSE is at boiling temperature, I love how every day there are news and updates. Although it means it will take more time for all of us to achieve a stabilized build, let alone a final one.

*Upd* Skyrim Souls works fine so far.

Edited by Yamnyak_King

Thank you for your answer, I'll check out these links, seem interesting! Probably I can live without optimisation, my game works surprisingly smooth and stable without any further optimisation (with all flora and towns/city mods from this guide and with ENB). As long as my FPS doesn't drop below 30 in the most "heavy" areas, I'm completely fine. Actually my FPS is 40-60 most of the time, so I'm good.

Thank you one more time!

Actually I need to correct the information I provided above, as I was misinterpreting alt3rn1ty's post which you can read from the link I added. Textures packed in the new ba2 format will NOT be automatically converted to BC7, what alt3rn1ty says is that they will probably have the mipmaps packed separately from the main texture and that should boost performance by itself. Anyway, I also feel my SSE build is more stable without optimizing any textures so far.