• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

120 GB Samsung 840 SSDs on sale from Tiger Direct right now for $79 each (limit 2)

Here is the link

I want to buy that so badly...
I could not resist grabbing two for myself ... I should have them in a couple of hours if UPS doesn't suck (they often do suck though).

Are you gonna RAID them? I hope you're gonna RAID them.

Convince me that I should create SSD RAID 0 on my system (see link to specs in sig) ... I thought data transfer rates were capped by SATA (II I think for my mobo)?

120 GB Samsung 840 SSDs on sale from Tiger Direct right now for $79 each (limit 2)

Here is the link

I could not resist grabbing two for myself ... I should have them in a couple of hours if UPS doesn't suck (they often do suck though).

Convince me that I should create SSD RAID 0 on my system (see link to specs in sig) ... I thought data transfer rates were capped by SATA (II I think for my mobo)?

They're capped, but raid0 = 2 channels = double the bandwidth (on paper).

Goddamn those are cheap O.o

Shame I live in Netherlands in Europe...

Why are you running a watercooled i5-2500K at 4.3 GHz? :(
Cos I have it mainly for silence ;)

And low temp lol.

Also the case is completly modded.

Did that last year, still not completly finished, needs a new window and still need to repaint it.

Ow and the 4,3 is without extra voltage so just the turbo that is set higher.

Maybe I will go and look what I can do more with it, but like this its pretty stable for 1,5 years now.

Goddamn those are cheap O.o

Shame I live in Netherlands in Europe...

Why are you running a watercooled i5-2500K at 4.3 GHz? :(
Cos I have it mainly for silence ;)

And low temp lol.

Also the case is completly modded.

Did that last year, still not completly finished, needs a new window and still need to repaint it.

Ow and the 4,3 is without extra voltage so just the turbo that is set higher.

Maybe I will go and look what I can do more with it, but like this its pretty stable for 1,5 years now.

I'd be surprised if you couldn't do 4.8 GHz on all cores with it.

Here is the link

That does make sense... forgot about the independent data connections. Is there evidence of the actual i/o boost from RAID 0 on SSD? Is it double or something less? Also, the SSD speeds are so much faster as it is, would I even notice a diff between SSD versus SSD RAID 0?

Here is the link

That does make sense... forgot about the independent data connections. Is there evidence of the actual i/o boost from RAID 0 on SSD? Is it double or something less? Also, the SSD speeds are so much faster as it is, would I even notice a diff between SSD versus SSD RAID 0?
https://www.storagereview.com/crucial_m4_ssd_raid_review

WOW, that is quite an improvement .... Since I don't lose any space, it would seem like there is no good reason for not using RAID 0 config! (data loss is not an issue for me, as I have plenty of backup space ... and I do actually use it :P )

That does make sense... forgot about the independent data connections. Is there evidence of the actual i/o boost from RAID 0 on SSD? Is it double or something less? Also' date=' the SSD speeds are so much faster as it is' date=' would I even notice a diff between SSD versus SSD RAID 0?[/quote'']

WOW, that is quite an improvement .... Since I don't lose any space, it would seem like there is no good reason for not using RAID 0 config! (data loss is not an issue for me, as I have plenty of backup space ... and I do actually use it :P )

Lack of hardware TRIM support on your mobo and SATA II limitation might put you off... But I would try it out either way.

Since you mention data loss, I would offer a word of caution on SSDs in general. I've dealt with a few of them now for friends and family, and three of them (two intels and one OCZ) lost all data because of firmware errors. Since the firmware was updated, they've all worked fine. They're improving with each generation, but I would say very frequent backups are the order of the day.