Skyrim Revisited Pre-Release Feedback

Alright, you guys won me over. Switched over to 0.95a as the main version. I'm still evaluating the light color changes vs ELFX base colors... we shall see if I add instructions to delete the light edits in the coming days.

I actually like ELFX color more so far. 

Sorry if this comes off rambling, just pondering some things.

Trying to get a feel out there for how many people actually read/use the conflict resolution page of the guide vs just downloading the latest esp. Writing the details on the page and updating it takes serious time on my part to do. Comments?

I only ask because I could make more balancing type edits such as 101 Bugs alchemy stats (as a quick example) if I didn't need to type every little edit all the time. Perhaps make an SR Balancing esp for changes not direct conflict resolutions, don't know the best approach.

On the same vein, trying to figure out a better way to do merging as it seems to cause some confusion as written, especially things like Vividian with the wearable lanterns dependency. Merging could be done at the end of the guide but people testing mid install will wonder where to put the esps... or why there are no rules, etc.

I used to do the CR myself but it just got out of control so now I just dl the new CR when I see you've made some changes via the recent changes step tracker page. and, honestly, just quickly peruse the changes but would be fine just knowing when it's been updated.  I still found the page useful, however, if there was a mod I didn't use and I needed to find the entries so I could take it out.  I've since given in completely though and now just use all of your recommendations so you really shouldn't waste that much of your time for people who are still only sipping the kool-aid.

2. Increased actor count (I think). This mod spawns a LOT of insects which can just sit there stupidly on their spawn point (or may cause other actors to loose their AI routines). To combat this (and my propensity to add lots of NPCs via things like Inconsequential NPCs and increased spawns via ASIS) I crank up the AI counts and Combat AI counts to 100 and 50 respectively. I'm only 75% confident that this mod's bugs are affected by this AI count (their routine may be too simple to qualify for the Complex Actor AI limits), but I do seem to get more dynamic insects after I increaased these count. (Vanilla AI counts are 40 and 20 if I recall correctly.)

I am fairly certain that the insects don't fall under the game's AI count.  The CK treats them more like animated objects and doesn't consider them to be creatures or any other form of actor.  Which isn't to say that spawning extra insects (or having additional NPCs in an area) won't still impact one another and too much of either could still stress your system, but I'm pretty sure that the butterflies do not directly add to the AI count. 

Personally I only went through the full conflict resolution page once, on my initial install of your guide. It helped me learn about TES5Edit. After that I briefly checked every change made and DLed the newest version of the esp. I can imagine typing out every change made can become tedious, I wouldn't mind if you stopped doing that. (Perhaps things like changing master dependencies should be mentioned though)

Whenever is possible I use your Conflict page to make ESP replacers of mods that are never or only rarely updated.

For instance SR Conflict Resolution has 306 changes (136 USKP related)

46% are from mods that do not change too much

By using replacers I can strip down my CR

Just to ilustrate my point:

28 ELE_Legendary_Fs_Wt_Lite.esp
24 FCO - Follower Commentary Overhaul.esp
21 EFFDialogue.esp
18 OBIS.esp
15 High Level Enemies - SIC.esp
14 DeadlySpellImpacts.esp
11 Guard Dialogue Overhaul.esp
10 dD - Enhanced Blood Main.esp
141 total

Hope that makes sense to you 

the two choices available here are

1) Neo quits working on the conflict resolution guide and that frees up more of his time to test/add mods to the guide. Maybe better yet he also gets to enjoy playing skyrim more.

2) Neos guide has probably taught quite a few people how to resolve conflicts and gives others the chance to double check the patch.The only thing that could make it that much better is if someone could make a video explaining how to set up tes5edit and maybe do the first few lines of the guide explaining a lil of the theory behind what is going on. Would be cool if Someone like Gopher or Gamer Poet could do this because they are great at doing instructional videos.

I use the description a fair bit now.  I started with a download but then backed out changes for mods I don't use (such as OBIS), for which the descriptive page was essential.  I then add in new updates as you post them - so I use the change log much more and find them much more important than than the actual updated .esp s you create...

the two choices available here are

2) Neos guide has probably taught quite a few people how to resolve conflicts and gives others the chance to double check the patch.The only thing that could make it that much better is if someone could make a video explaining how to set up tes5edit and maybe do the first few lines of the guide explaining a lil of the theory behind what is going on. Would be cool if Someone like Gopher or Gamer Poet could do this because they are great at doing instructional videos.

i second someone creating a video showing how to do this it would be very very helpful.

Sorry if this comes off rambling, just pondering some things.

Trying to get a feel out there for how many people actually read/use the conflict resolution page of the guide vs just downloading the latest esp. Writing the details on the page and updating it takes serious time on my part to do. Comments?

I only ask because I could make more balancing type edits such as 101 Bugs alchemy stats (as a quick example) if I didn't need to type every little edit all the time. Perhaps make an SR Balancing esp for changes not direct conflict resolutions, don't know the best approach.

On the same vein, trying to figure out a better way to do merging as it seems to cause some confusion as written, especially things like Vividian with the wearable lanterns dependency. Merging could be done at the end of the guide but people testing mid install will wonder where to put the esps... or why there are no rules, etc.

I really enjoy your guide. I would not be lying if I said your guide was not responsible for teaching me most everything I learned about modding. One of the most difficult things to learn was TES5Edit and I still am by no means an expert. I still probably could not figure out conflict resolution on my own and it indeed the easiest part of the guide where users will make mistakes. However, it is also the part of your guide that I appreciate the most as it is still where I have to do the most learning. That said, I easily understand the amount of time that must be involved, and can understand given wife and kids that other things are more important. Whatever is best for you, I will always be grateful. 

Edited by DanimalTwo

Your conflict resolution guide is what taught me the basics in resolving conflicts using TES5edit and I still appreciate it. I use it to double check if I missed something when I resolve ELFX/ELE conflicts. I understand why you would stop writing it though, must take lots of work to do.