Skyrim Revisited Pre-Release Feedback

Agree with above, and writing every step kind of defeats the purpose of teaching people to do their own resolutions - no thought process, just follow the guide line by line. I would say, to save time and force us to think of what we do, just outline certain patterns and got'yas like navmeshes, and maybe more explanation for tricky parts. And in closing, sincere thank you for all the effort you put into this, it really is a great help for those who never modded Bethesda games!

I prefer not using asset copying function. This make merging very confusing IMO. I like to do it the old way.

I agree.  Other than that I think everything is set up really well.  I think putting the merges at the end does have some benefits but, yes, for new users it could be confusing, especially if they want to try starting the game mid-install to test it out.  The only way around it might be to have a different set of rules throughout the guide, which seems to defeat the purpose of why you'd change it to begin with.

I agree with what everyone has said about learning how to use T5E from your guide.  I was lost until I created my own CR patch the first time and learned so much from your guide.  I've got to say, however, that I wouldn't have the patience to keep doing it like you've been doing it.  Just changing those edits for ELE, and then posting and deleting every step, had to be such a huge pain in the ass.  It's not like you're just typing a quick step; typing every path has to be mind numbing.  Maybe having a small tutorial for new users would be the way to go, laying out the steps for a couple of mods to show how it's done but then just providing the patch for complete use.  I understand why a lot of people like to do it themselves but I'd rather see you continue to add to and expand the guide, and not get burnt out and sick of it, then entertain my own ocd.

Not using asset copy either, can't quite put my finger on it but I am almost certain that it misses or misplaces files during copy process, even in 1.9.

Actually, asset copying is almost necessary for more complex merges with MCM translations and the like. Hence why I went that route.

Personally the only issue I had was with facegendata (i.e. RSChildren) and Mator fixed it with a beta merge script update 1.9.1 but he hasn't released it publicly yet.

So, asset copying is likely here to stay in the future but understand there are things to look out for.

• +1 1

I'm confused, are we talking "copy general assets" or "batch copy assets"?  I'm not at my pc but, if memory serves me correctly, I do have general assets selected, which does give me the translation and facegen files in the overwrite folder, but not batch copy, which only seems to copy duplicates of the same files that exist in the original folder and seem to me to just be duplicates, though I certainly could be wrong about that.  I didn't even realize the guide had batch assets selected for the longest time and wasn't using it, realized it was selected and tried it and went back to not using it and haven't noticed any problems.  

I am talking about general assets. I believe batch copy is just a helper and main logic is in copy assets function. Correct me if I am wrong

If I recall, when merging cot I got weird color artifacts with copy assets and comparing folders with winmerge was too much at that point lol, wanted to get to playable game asap. I will try again and will report back with more concrete proof if I find it

Edited by sm0kem

I have a question about the Extract Dialogue Views and Script Source section. Should I extract my files So that I have a Scripts folder in the Skyrim Data folder. Or should I have a Scripts and DialogueViews folder in my Skyrim Data folder

scripts.rar contains both, so extract both folders (DialogueViews and Scripts) right there into your Data folder.

Edited by danielleonyett

I download the pre-built SR patch every time, but have to then make my own patch after it anyway because of my own additions (ie REGS, PerMa, ect).

I prefer the layout of the guide now. Can be a bit confusing at first but the further into the guide, the more it makes sense. Let's face it, the guide is actually pretty advanced for some people so it can take many hours of work and reading over to truly understand it. Moding is a skill, you get better with time but you can always learn something new even if you've been doing this since fallout! It takes people like neov to come along and streamline the complexity for some of us. I've read most of the STEP guides numerous times and still see stuff I've installed wrong, or didn't understand the first time around.

Edited by Jverv

Balancing is good but it's also quite subjective.

Conflict resolution is mainly objective. You do that and we follow. There's not much to say.

On the other way balancing will heavily depend either on following a strict SRLE or not. I foresee lots of questions like 'why did you did that?' 'why didn't you did this?'

I think you get the point.

As a final note I would gladly see you stop writing the conflict resolution patch and instead integrate PerMa and some combat mods ;)

Same like Jverv I download the pre-built SR patch every time, but have to learn how to make my own patch after additions ie. REGS, STEP. Pass long time to understand guide but I finally learn it. Still I ve got some CTD. Still have to figure it out with medium rigs guide SRLE and REGS. One element missing for me is changing log with distinction between typo changes and new realeased mods or completly new adding mods to the guide. The same thing with SR patch still I didn't know if I had the newest version of patch - version restriction missing for me.