ENB Boost .ini settings for Win10 and Titan X

Snowelf12

Question

Hey Guys,

just been reading on the NEXUS about win 10 4GB vram limit. I have 12gb Vram and 16GB system ram.

I am unsure what to set my VideoMemorySizeMb to i do have it at 10240. But can this be use in WIN 10? 

I have been hitting 3.5- 3.9 in game vram with Steps Extended installed. 

I was going to add a ENB to the game but unsure as i don't want to go over the 4GB if it will be unstable.

also I am in 4K so could i use a EBN but turn off AA as i would not need it.

If you are using Windows 7, you can set VideoMemorySizeMb to whatever is reported by VRamSizeTest minus 170. If you are using Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 you should set VideoMemorySizeMb to 4064. This was originally reported is a bug in Windows 8, but I can't help but wonder if Microsoft may have done this intentionally. I do know Microsoft is being extremely quiet about this issue so I doubt it will ever be fixed.

If you are using Windows 7, you can set VideoMemorySizeMb to whatever is reported by VRamSizeTest minus 170. If you are using Windows 8, 8.1, or 10 you should set VideoMemorySizeMb to 4064. This was originally reported is a bug in Windows 8, but I can't help but wonder if Microsoft may have done this intentionally. I do know Microsoft is being extremely quiet about this issue so I doubt it will ever be fixed.

Thanks for the quick reply, I will set this now. I have set ReservedMemorySizeMb=1024 i am going to play and see how it is.

Looks like i will have to wait for the new Skyrim 64 bit to use all my VRAM. Hopefully Steps will make a guild for it.

Im hitting 3-3.8GB Vram use ingame would a ENB make this go over 4GB and cause me problems?

Is there any way to install a ENB and turn off all AA? As im in 4K and do not need it.

Would i have to do a Batched patch if i add a ENB to my MO Plugins list? also would i use loot once i added the plug in?

Little confused on how to install in into steps

These are the two i like the look of  

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/36067/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D36067%26preview%3D&pUp=1

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/24235/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D24235%26preview%3D&pUp=1

If any one can help me Thanks 

How accurate is the notion that e.g., Windows 10, can only allocate 4 GB Vram with DirectX 9?

I know Vram Size Test shows such a result. However I play Skyrim at 2560x1440 with ENB, DynDOLOD+ultratrees full models, HD texture packs etc. And both Skyrim Performance Monitor and MSI Afterburner show Vram usage going up to 4.5 GB. Once I saw it hit 5 GB. No open browsers/programs/video's running while gaming on a single monitor.

So I wonder a bit: how factual is the 4 GB Vram limit story actually?

How accurate is the notion that e.g., Windows 10, can only allocate 4 GB Vram with DirectX 9?

I know Vram Size Test shows such a result. However I play Skyrim at 2560x1440 with ENB, DynDOLOD+ultratrees full models, HD texture packs etc. And both Skyrim Performance Monitor and MSI Afterburner show Vram usage going up to 4.5 GB. Once I saw it hit 5 GB. No open browsers/programs/video's running while gaming on a single monitor.

So I wonder a bit: how factual is the 4 GB Vram limit story actually?

It's accurate, considering that MS themselves have acknowledged that this is a thing, they haven't provided a solution/answer and likely won't since DX9 games are becoming less widely played in the grand scheme of gaming now.

If your doing that testing while using an ENB then the data your seeing is falsified greatly since ENB will increment the pool of memory used by double what can be used but it's only Virtual memory and not actual physical memory so while it says your using over 4/5GB your actually using 3.5GB of system/VRam and the rest is what ENBoost allocates.

Skyrim will crash at 3.5GB ram if you don't run ENBoost, SKSE or Crash Fixes.

Something to note is that ENBoost comes with every ENB preset and can be disabled and enabled manually, but usually ships enabled by default on most/all enb presets.

SKSE is all but required now, and Crash Fixes is a good alternative if your going over your memory limits.

Edited by Rebel47

@Rebel47

Thank you for your explanation.

Yet...

At 20-4-2015 Microsoft stated they were "currently reviewing the issue" - https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1263324/gpu-memory-allocation-limit-on-directx9-windows-8

That's about it concerning their aknowledgment. I mean, we all assume: there is a 4 GB Vram memory limit, period, look at Vram Size Test, there's your proof. And MS aknowlegded it, well, more or less. It's a little bit in the eye of the beholder.

I read more people claiming their game uses more than 4 GB Vram, and without issue. All are told they are not really using more than 4 GB Vram.

But then I read this forum thread of someone who ran into problems with Vram allocation - https://www.gamedev.net/topic/667343-gpu-memory-allocation-limit-on-directx9windows-8/

He could allocate only about 4 GB Vram for textures. Textures...

Then I read his last update-post: 

'Brzegu   

Posted 10 April 2015 - 05:11 AM

"Update: On Win 8 I can allocate only about 4BG for textures but for vertex buffers I can allocate about 8GB.
Is that possible that driver have internal limits for data types (textures, buffers, etc)?"'

So what if the 4 GB Vram limit on windows 8, 8.1, 10 with DirectX 9 is only a texture allocation limit? Can we then still simply assume there's fundamentally a 4 GB Vram limit?

Having recently installed the "High" setting of DynDOLOD with 512 texture sizes, I am now experiencing ILS's whenever I try to load a save that goes over the 4 GB VRAM limit (verified with Skyrim Performance Monitor). I'm going to have to reduce it.

EDIT: I have my ebn.ini vram setting set to 4064.

Edited by TenshoHappyCat

Having recently installed the "High" setting of DynDOLOD with 512 texture sizes, I am now experiencing ILS's whenever I try to load a save that goes over the 4 GB VRAM limit (verified with Skyrim Performance Monitor). I'm going to have to reduce it.

EDIT: I have my ebn.ini vram setting set to 4064.

Going over 4 GB Vram should not cause ILS. If you were using enormous textures - and 512x512 textures for lods are decent but certainly not enormous - you would have missing textures I think. As I'm concerned all we really know is that there is a texture memory allocation limit and if I'm not mistaken that's exactly what for instance Vram Size Test measures.

Maybe your 1st memory block could use a bit more space. Go to your SKSE.ini if you're using Sheson's memory patch through SKSE. Default settings are this:

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Up DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB with 188 for instance.

Edited by Ilkob

Going over 4 GB Vram should not cause ILS. If you were using enormous textures - and 512x512 textures for lods are decent but certainly not enormous - you would have missing textures I think. As I'm concerned all we really know is that there is a texture memory allocation limit and if I'm not mistaken that's exactly what for instance Vram Size Test measures.

Maybe your 1st memory block could use a bit more space. Go to your SKSE.ini if you're using Sheson's memory patch through SKSE. Default settings are this:

[Memory]

DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB=768

ScrapHeapSizeMB=256

Up DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB with 188 for instance.

Do you have hard unequivocal proof that the game will not suffer ILS if you exceed the memory cap of 4GB ? In all the testing I've seen done it has been shown that this limit is existing now but only for Windows 8 and upwards.

I don't use VRam size test since I know it can give off exorbitant values, but I know that with my game I don't ctd very often and if I do it's user error, but then I also run with Crash Fixes which I switched to recently since it comes with the approval of Sheson himself.

SKSE.ini DefaultHeapInitialAllocMB can be set up to a maximium of 1024 and with that I've heard many say that you should not increase the scrap head size past 256.

Obviously this is all down to the individual user to decide if they want to make those kinds of changes within thier games.

Try suggestions out and see what works for you but don't take anyone's word on what works on their systems as gospel since what works on mine or Ilkob's would not work the same on yours, it's all about testing and retesting until your happy with the end result ::):

@Rebel47

Proof, well, just my own observations with my videocard, which has 8 GB Vram, and in Skyrim happily uses more than 4 GB Vram according to benchmarks. Then there is that there's probably only a texture allocation Vram limit of 4 GB, which was, to my understanding, initially the complaint at the Visual Studio forums back in 2015 - not a 4 GB Vram limit for all graphics calculations concerning Windows 8, 8.1, 10/DirectX 9. My game is solid, loads normally, plays without stutter and when Vram usage is well above 4 GB I don't notice a thing. The latter is what made me wonder: how valid is the idea of this 4 GB Vram limit really?

Never questioned it before, because my videocard then had no more than 4 GB Vram to spare and obviously the card never exceeded 4 GB of Vram usage when I benchmarked Skyrim. Of course, there can be margins of error, things I don't know of, but seeing Vram usage going a half gig beyond the supposed limit without issue is worth mentioning I think.

Edited by Ilkob

The first time I was made aware of the 4GB vram limit as it's become known was when Boris of Enbdev made a complaint to NVidia thinking it was an update on their behalf regarding the limits, I did some preliminary research back then but with so little information about this available it's not an easy thing to comment on wholly, I tested it as much as I could and despite how much I loaded into my game it never seemed to go above 3.5 - 4GB at it's maximum,

I'm looking at upgrading my gpu again soon anyway, possibly moving up to a 12GB+ card so I guess we'll see if this is a persistent issue or if it is indeed tied heavily into the amount of VRam made available at the start of the whole allocation of memory.

Not sure it's now worth the heavy investigation that we are considering since in all eventualities most people will be switching up to SSE before too long, but it's definitely something noteworthy that could be looked into more deeply, although saying that I wouldn't fully trust the numbers that ceom from Skyrim Performance monitor when using ENB since it can produce somewhat exorbitant numbers, much like VRam size test.

Is that taken with an ENB active in your game, if that is the case then that would probably explain the overshoot on the VRam limit.

That's my only explanation at this point, have you tried that test without the ENB patch or the SKSE patch included ?