How to test if game is stable after finishing Steps Extended?7

Snowelf12

Guys ive lost play throughs in the past 50 hours+ after adding mods to my game. my fault as a total noob. I give up on Skyrim for a while now im back.

Now i have finished Steps and all the patches. 

I have just made a character and saved the game no problems. 60 FPS in 4K

I have used some high res mods on the install. I did check my Vram use and it was 3.5-3.8gb

Have AA X4

I have a Titan X maxwell and 4700K i7 

Game does seem to be running well looks great can't wait to get into the game and see all the mods :)

I just dont want to put loads of effort into the game and then get CDTS and become unplayable.

As i've never finished the main quest or any of the add ons so still lots for me to do. 

so what a solid play though.

Just thought i would ask for some advice and thoughts.

also i have set enblocal.ini 

ReservedMemorySizeMb=512
VideoMemorySizeMb=10240

as my Titan has 12gb vram and i have 16gb of ram installed on my PC.
I am not sure what  Reserved Memory Size dose if higher is better 

just got a odd bug at the start after character was going to the chopping block he got stuck. i then reloaded last save 1 min before and it did not happen.

Dont know if this is just a Skyrim bug itself.

But i played through all the Helgen mission and now i am in Riverwood. Everything seems fine.

Looking forward to playing a nice modded game 

Actors will get stuck from time to time. That's just Skyrim being Skyrim. Nothing to worry about. I've played through level 40 with only a handful of CTDs. To me, that is stable. If you get the occasional random crash, try using Crash Fixes with the default settings. That will often take care of the issue or at least log the issue so you have an idea of where to look to fix the problem.

Actors will get stuck from time to time. That's just Skyrim being Skyrim. Nothing to worry about. I've played through level 40 with only a handful of CTDs. To me, that is stable. If you get the occasional random crash, try using Crash Fixes with the default settings. That will often take care of the issue or at least log the issue so you have an idea of where to look to fix the problem.

I did think it was just Skyrim its self. the Odd CDT can be expected as long as you save often. I would not mine the odd CDT as long as i could get through the game. so if i do get the odd CDT don't worry but if they become regular then worry.

Well i will see how my game goes and will report any problems. 

Sometimes you can get "unstuck" by toggling first/third person camera view.

Try lowering your ReservedMemorySizeMb=512 to 256, if the game is still smooth try 128 or even 64.

So is this better to have a lower setting? i have read this somewhere before now.

just thought with all the Vram and ram i have mite be better higher as i have loads to spare.

Edited by ironcross13

also how many hours did you play in that game? 

If you do not experience a stutter related to VRAM being flushed then some of that memory is probably being wasted. Read through this post:

https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3822

especially the last entry where Boris states:

"enbhost.exe do nothing to vram, it's just memory container. D3d9.dll flush data from vram when it unable to allocate memory any more in vram (but it flushes only dynamic memory ReservedMemorySizeMb) or flushing everything when device is reset (alt+tab in full screen mode for example). It removes some amount of resources of any type from vram when game creating render targets (for drawing shadows for example), as they must be located in fast real video memory (NVidia driver can place them in ram and draw to ram, so performance will be awful, read what i wrote in news page about gf970 several months ago). Flush at loading game is normal to Skyrim, because this stupid engine (or rather it's developers) do not take care about order of creating vram resources."

If you do not experience a stutter related to VRAM being flushed then some of that memory is probably being wasted. Read through this post:

https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3822

especially the last entry where Boris states:

"enbhost.exe do nothing to vram, it's just memory container. D3d9.dll flush data from vram when it unable to allocate memory any more in vram (but it flushes only dynamic memory ReservedMemorySizeMb) or flushing everything when device is reset (alt+tab in full screen mode for example). It removes some amount of resources of any type from vram when game creating render targets (for drawing shadows for example), as they must be located in fast real video memory (NVidia driver can place them in ram and draw to ram, so performance will be awful, read what i wrote in news page about gf970 several months ago). Flush at loading game is normal to Skyrim, because this stupid engine (or rather it's developers) do not take care about order of creating vram resources."

I did have it at 128 so ive put it back down, if this is fine i will bring it to 64 as lower is better it seems.

90+

ahh sounds good nice long game, do people get problems after a long time with all the mods?

Thanks for the replys guys been helpful.

I haven't had any issues besides the random crash. I started logging them and it seems some of them are known, common issues that could have be prevented by the Crash Fixes mod. I have that mod installed now and haven't had a crash since. I've playing with STEP:Extended plus a few other mods on top.

I did have it at 128 so ive put it back down, if this is fine i will bring it to 64 as lower is better it seems.

Lowering it is only better if you do not have the VRAM to spare. There are quite a few people who use 768mb+ on stable builds, granted they have the space to do it. With my older card, my issue wasn't pure power, but VRAM, my 780 ti only had 3.1GB, so keeping that value as low as possible was very important to me. 

As for crashes, in general, Skyrim is going to crash, it's just going to happen. You could have someone with 40 mods, and a wonky save, crash 2 times in an hour, and someone with 400+ mods who crashes once every 8 hours. 

An unfortunate reality of modding skyrim is the best way to build a stable setup, is being fastidious in your preparation and installation, and then just do it, learn from your mistakes, and do it again. Eventually, you'll be able to troubleshoot a problem before it happens, and you'll be modding the game to it's limits, and you'll be able to resolve conflicts before you even make your character. It just takes time.  Read everything you can, read as many guides as you can. 

The last time I made a really complex build, I went and read through 4 or 5 guides that were pretty complex, just reading the various takes on things like ini settings, mod settings, ENB use, etc. It can be invaluable.  

Edited by Thenatural

I haven't had any issues besides the random crash. I started logging them and it seems some of them are known, common issues that could have be prevented by the Crash Fixes mod. I have that mod installed now and haven't had a crash since. I've playing with STEP:Extended plus a few other mods on top.

Would it be worth using the Crash Fix Mod? or would you just wait untill i get a crash?

what other mods did you add? as myabe i could copy your build if you did not mind, as im a total noob to modding really. 

Lowering it is only better if you do not have the VRAM to spare. There are quite a few people who use 768mb+ on stable builds, granted they have the space to do it. With my older card, my issue wasn't pure power, but VRAM, my 780 ti only had 3.1GB, so keeping that value as low as possible was very important to me. 

As for crashes, in general, Skyrim is going to crash, it's just going to happen. You could have someone with 40 mods, and a wonky save, crash 2 times in an hour, and someone with 400+ mods who crashes once every 8 hours. 

An unfortunate reality of modding skyrim is the best way to build a stable setup, is being fastidious in your preparation and installation, and then just do it, learn from your mistakes, and do it again. Eventually, you'll be able to troubleshoot a problem before it happens, and you'll be modding the game to it's limits, and you'll be able to resolve conflicts before you even make your character. It just takes time.  Read everything you can, read as many guides as you can. 

The last time I made a really complex build, I went and read through 4 or 5 guides that were pretty complex, just reading the various takes on things like ini settings, mod settings, ENB use, etc. It can be invaluable.  

So i have 12GB of Vram 16GB System Ram. So higher would be better for me then.

What is the highest i can set it to as i have alot of spare Vram ATM im only using 3.5-3.8GB in game 

would 1028 be okay?

what guides did you read the ones on STEPs? I did not use a ENB as i like the game how it is some ENBs change the games look alot 

You can install Crash Fixes at any time if you want. I usually complete the STEP Extended guide, test the game for a while to make sure I haven't messed up something, then install Crash Fixes with the default settings, and start a new game.

You can install Crash Fixes at any time if you want. I usually complete the STEP Extended guide, test the game for a while to make sure I haven't messed up something, then install Crash Fixes with the default settings, and start a new game.

So would i have to install Crash Fixs do Loot again and re-make a Batched patch?

would i have to do this with a ENB also?