The dreaded Pipboy Radio Stutter in Win10

DanielCoffey

Question

Hi folks - me again.

I have been afflicted by the Pipboy Radio Stutter which is usually caused by Codec conflicts for the .mp3 files. I am referring to the "warbling" sound you get over the Pipboy music tracks. In-game radios are fine. The DJs are fine. it is only the music that is played after the news that is affected.

According to the WIKI there are three fixes. One is an .ini edit which didn't work. The second is throwing new Codecs at it which worked in the days of WinXP and Vista (and using old 32-bit Codecs is contraindicated for Win7 onwards). The last is culling conflicting Codecs which may cause issues with applications other than FO3.

I have cautiously applied the k-lite Codec pack since it has Win10 support in it and applied the "repair bad codecs" fix but to no avail (I used the Basic k-lite pack since it was the one with .mp3 cover in it and accepted the default installation options, applied the Detect and Repair tool and rebooted).

Now the catch is that some music tracks will start to play fine and then go warbly after a minute. Others start bad and don't fix themselves. Some secret Enclave tech seems to make the majority of the Enclave Radio tracks work fine.

Can I convert the affected tracks individually to a different format? Is there a known good codec for WIn10? Is there a known bad codec? I am using Win10 with MakeMKV and Reaper installed.

10 answers to this question

I use windows 10 and the solution that worked on a more permanent basis for me was the 4th option on that wike page you linked, aptly titled "Option D" I did that and it fixed my issues right up, obviously you'll need to restart afterwards, if your cautious at all (like me) then create a restore point from before installation so you can go back if your even the slightest bit unhappy with it.

That's the one I used yes, I think that becase Fallout 3 was made on the old architecture that it would likely require using the older files for the newer versions of windows, I created a system restore point myself and have actually never had to revert back to it.

Yay - the MADfilter codec pack was what I needed.

I think it would be useful to add the following to the Guide in the "Gotta Have My Tunes" section tagged for Windows 10 users...

Pipboy Radio Stutter fix : If you experience the problem of stuttering or warbling noises when listening to the music tracks on your Pipboy radio, see THIS GUIDE on the Fallout 3 Nexus Wiki for some guided fixes.

Windows 10 users should probably start with the very last solution under section D) If the Radio is still stuttering... which begins "For Windows Vista and Windows 7". You will be asked to download and install the MADfilter codec pack and then use the InstalledCodec program to disable one specific codec. Remember to restart your PC after making these changes. The MADfilter codec does come with an Uninstall.bat so you can revert these changes if they do not help.

Kelmych - here is the site to use as the URL target in the "THIS GUIDE" link... https://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Radio_stutter_fix

Yay - the MADfilter codec pack was what I needed.

I think it would be useful to add the following to the Guide in the "Gotta Have My Tunes" section tagged for Windows 10 users...

Kelmych - here is the site to use as the URL target in the "THIS GUIDE" link... https://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Radio_stutter_fix

That's the same page as the one referenced in the current guide in the Fallout 3 Radio Stutter Fix section near the end of the guide along with other discussion of problems. I'll add a pointer to it in the "gotta have my tunes" section.