sortomatic in the schoolhouse

Anyone else finding this system broken as all hell? I followed the instructions, even the author's tutorial video.

The basic sorting *seems* to work, but god forbid you try to craft anything.

Crafting from "all containers" doesn't work right. 

I put the sorts of things one might find in a cupboard up in a cupboard (coffee pots/cups, pilot lights, pressure cookers etc.) and they're not being seen by their respective crafting stations.

The fridge is equally broken. 

It's almost as if "all containers" works like the "only crafting stations" option. It's more random and broken than that, though. The oven won't see my bottle caps in the small safe while my workbench will. Vodka in a cupboard is seen while another item in the same cupboard isn't...

This is frustrating

Oh, and sometimes if you reload, or just go outside and straight back in, everything stored inside a crafting station (I set it up for each station's own supplies to go in its respective station) is deleted from the game. Yup, thousands of items, not even dropped into the main MSC thingy but gone.

Ans all my cigarettes are gone. Butts are like a form of currency, so I've always saved the packs and (especially) the cartons in this game.

I had them set to a specific cabinet and they're gone a few days later. Not surprised, just sad.

I must admit I haven't used the Schoolhouse option but I use the Mobile Bus Home on top of the standard guide and it too uses 'Sortomatic'.

While it's quirks are sometimes hard to get my head around, I have never lost anything because of that mod resource. I would suggest a thorough rethink on the installation of the 'Sortomatic' and perhaps getting as much info from the mod page to examine what is going on. What you describe sounds serious enough to be considered a major mismatch of scripts in the load order or perhaps an error in installation.

To me it sounds like another mod(s) is fighting over the containers where you have placed items and depending on script load one or the other wins and hence items are lost. Sorry if that sounds vague, it is because I am not familiar enough with 'Sortomatic' resource to be more precise.

The crafting stations in sortomatic can only see items that are stored in the crafting station itself, along with items in player inventory. Unfortunately the crafting stations don't have access to all the items stored by sortomatic-enabled containers. The scripts installed by the Sortomatic for Tales from the Burning Sands mod sets up defaults in sortomatic to store many of items used in crafting in the appropriate crafting station, and these scripts should provide this functionality in all sortomatic-enabled houses.

• 2 weeks later...

The crafting stations in sortomatic can only see items that are stored in the crafting station itself, along with items in player inventory. Unfortunately the crafting stations don't have access to all the items stored by sortomatic-enabled containers. The scripts installed by the Sortomatic for Tales from the Burning Sands mod sets up defaults in sortomatic to store many of items used in crafting in the appropriate crafting station, and these scripts should provide this functionality in all sortomatic-enabled houses.

Oh. But then why are there separate options for "look in this crafting station", "look in all crafting stations", and "look in all containers"?

I haven't suffered the crafting station issue yet, but my issue is just as bad.  See my link the Nexus forum for Sortomatic, and then also the link provided there to the Nexus forum for Afterschool Special and the posts I being responded to: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/318594-sortomatic/?p=28489084.  The issue is just so confusing and I am exhausted and spent... I can't type any more details.  Please read them in the web of linked info...

Oh. But then why are there separate options for "look in this crafting station", "look in all crafting stations", and "look in all containers"?

Sortomatic itself can access the storage for each crafting station, but that storage is internal to Sortomatic. The items stored in a crafting station are not in a container that the player can open like a refrigerator or a desk. They are in a virtual container. The rest of the items are in ordinary containers, in addition to being indexed by Sortomatic. If an item is used in more than one crafting station there is a problem since it can only be stored in one crafting station. If you want to use the item in another crafting station you need to retrieve the item from the Sortomatic MSC and have the item in your inventory when you use it to craft at the other crafting station.

Sortomatic itself can access the storage for each crafting station, but that storage is internal to Sortomatic. The items stored in a crafting station are not in a container that the player can open like a refrigerator or a desk. They are in a virtual container. The rest of the items are in ordinary containers, in addition to being indexed by Sortomatic. If an item is used in more than one crafting station there is a problem since it can only be stored in one crafting station. If you want to use the item in another crafting station you need to retrieve the item from the Sortomatic MSC and have the item in your inventory when you use it to craft at the other crafting station.

It sounds like the answer to this then is to not store items in the crafting stations themselves, but store them in other sortomatic-accessible containers.  Then go to each sortomatic-accessible crafting station and set to "look in all containers".  That way all crafting stations will be able to see all ingredients.

Onto another issue that falls under this topic.  There are some MAJOR issues with Sortomatic or perhaps only the Afterschool Special sortomatic-enabled mod.  Issues that can be readily apparent when the "Homeless Items" (HI) container becomes inaccessible; even after reloading saved games prior to when it first became inaccessible.  That's really odd, but exiting the game and reloading the game at least temporarily fixes the problem.  I have no idea what is causing this, but my F&L installation is pretty non-deviant from the guide.  I did substitute Realistic Wasteland Lighting Enhancement for Nevada Skies, I use the unsafememoryhack in enblocal, and I've generated bash tags for all of my non-vanilla plugins.  I don't know what the problem is, but apparently when you look in the Nexus forums for Sortomatic and Afterschool Special there are many reports of similar issues.  I found no solutions...  Anyone?