[ Q & A ] Using FNIS with Mod Organizer

GrantSP

Question

This topic is specifically for FNIS related issues when using Mod Organizer.

--

EDIT: 17th April 2016.

Due to @fore's "issues" with MO he has pulled all support and directed it here.

Let it be stated that the "issues" he notes are due to user error and there is no inherent issue with FNIS running in MO.

Further his claim that FNIS WILL NOT run through MO on Windows 10 machines is just wrong! DO NOT follow the advice he offers regarding using FNIS and MO.

--

Setting up FNIS to run through MO

Install it like any other mod through MO and make sure it is active (checkmarked) in the left pane mod list.

Since you must launch FNIS through Mod Organizer in order for it to recognize your mods, add FNIS to the list of executables by doing the following:

1. Click the gears icon Gear_MO.png.
  2. In the Title field, type FNIS.
  3. For the Binary field, browse to your FNIS installation (should be located in <ModOrganizer>/mods/Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users) and select the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe application.
  4. Click the Add button. This will add FNIS to your executables list.
  5. Click OK.

Now each time you want to run FNIS, simply select it from the drop-down menu at top right and click Run.

Running through MO

1. Launch FNIS through MO
  2. In the Available Patches at the bottom of the window, check the boxes for all necessary patches in your setup.
  3. Click the [update FNIS Behavior] button and wait for a message to appear in the window stating "X animations for Y mods successfully included.".
  4. Click [Exit].

After closing FNIS, there will be files in Overwrite (essentially a fake mod located at the bottom of the left pane if sorted by priority ascending) created by FNIS. Right-click Overwrite and select Create Mod, name it FNIS Output and click OK. This will create a new mod listing in the left pane for the FNIS generated files. You will then need to check it to enable it. Each subsequent time you update FNIS behavior, you must open Overwrite and drag the new files back to this mod.

Common Errors

Error 53 or 2012

"Could not find file <path to file>\1hm_behavior.hkx

Ensure the animation sets you have installed are correctly placed in priority in the left-hand pane and FNIS is using the one you want. Open the Data tab in the right-hand pane and examine the filetree to see which animation is being used in the VFS.

Navigate the filetree by expanding: data>meshes>actors>character>behaviors> and see which mod is providing the file.

If the file name is displayed in red, the mouse tooltip will show which other mods are also providing this file. Move the correct mod to the correct location.

Additional cause for Error 2012

A user(@patchling) had Spybot - Search & Destroy+AV 2.5 installed and was constantly getting JIT and 2012 errors, specifically the 0_master.xml was not found. The file was placed in the FNIS temporary_log folder ready for processing but before that could happen it was removed by said program. Opening the start menu > settings > live protection > mode > uncheck "Scan programs before they start" apparently stops that behaviour.

Error dialogue

GenerateFNISForUsers.exe - This application could not be started.

This application could not be started.

Do you want to view information about this issue?

Simply close the dialogue by pressing "No" and enable FNIS in the Left-hand pane. Correct FNIS installation and use explains this in the wiki.

Why does the 6.2 Add-on not look correct in MO?

What you need to remember here is MO is designed to handle 'mods' and what we are installing with FNIS, and its add-ons, are 'tools'.

This means MO is looking for the correct folder structure for a 'mod' as seen by the game. The archive for the 6.2 add-on has as its top folder: "tools" and this is correct for FNIS, not the game.

Simply 'set the data folder' so that the "tools" folder is now at the top of the tree and ignore the next dialogue that asks if you are sure.

This is the first error that pops up:

ERROR(57): Het bestand F:\programma's\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\skeleton.hkx bestaat al.

It means that the file "skeleton.hkx" already exists.

I'm using XP32 Maximum Skeleton.

The second error, and also the one that keeps repeating is this:

ERROR(76): Kan een gedeelte van het pad F:\programma's\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\GenerateFNIS_LogFile.txt niet vinden.

That file is now in the overwrite folder. Should I move those files and try again?

EDIT: managed to get it working by shifting around some files in the data folder. Not really sure what was causing everything but I'm very happy it's fixed. Thanks guy for all the help.
Edited by charge

Translated to English:

ERROR (57) : The file F:\programma's\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\skeleton.hkx already exists.

ERROR (76) : Could not find a part of the path F:\programma's\steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\temporary_logs\GenerateFNIS_LogFile.txt.

The FNIS log file should be in the Overwrite folder after GenerateFNISForUsers runs, so this isn't an issue. This seem to be a permissions issue, so you should check the ownership and permissions on F:\Programma's to make sure you have full permission to all folders and files.

Before running FNIS should the mods that had been previously run be unselected?

Would someone help me understand what files go into the FNIS OUTPUT mod? 

Should I be dragging the files from overwrite into FNIS OUTPUT or create a mod from the overwrite and then placing it under the FNIS OUTPUT mod in load order?

Before running FNIS should the mods that had been previously run be unselected?

Would someone help me understand what files go into the FNIS OUTPUT mod?

Should I be dragging the files from overwrite into FNIS OUTPUT or create a mod from the overwrite and then placing it under the FNIS OUTPUT mod in load order?

Shouldn't deselect any previous patcher mods run (bashed patch, DSR), but I only have experience with STEP Extended. I have always ran DynDOLOD after FNIS, though.

The FNIS Output "fake" mod should be created using only the files from overwrite after running FNIS.

Make sure there is nothing currently in overwrite. Run FNIS through MO. Right-click overwrite, select "create mod" and name it FNIS Output. Place it after FNIS in the left pane, and make sure it is ticked.

Edited by Nebulous112

Thank you for your response.

OK, would it be correct to install and active all of my animation mods and then run FNIS at one time for all of these mods together and then create one mod from overwrite that would cover all of them at once? 

Should I Reinstall FNIS in order to clear all of my previous mistakes?

Edited by Tomack13

Yep, just need to run it once for all mods. Re-run it if you ever add, drop or modify / update any mods with animations.

Run LOOT beforehand as well to make sure load order is sorted (good idea before running any patcher).

No need to re-install FNIS if using and running it through MO. Just delete any previous FNIS Output mod you made, and make sure nothing is in overwrite before you begin.

Edited by Nebulous112

This leads to another question then. 

Scenario:  I have ticked all of my mods.  I have run FNIS and have run Loot and such.  Everything is good to this point.

Now I have installed or deleted a mod and run everything as I should. 

Now after creating my second OUTPUT mod do I delete the first one?

In that case I have no idea why FNIS would cause a crash, unless you are not using the newest version of FNIS, or are using a mod not compatible with the newest version.

It could also be unrelated to FNIS entirely (for example a memory issue).

Just to confirm, you ran FNIS through MO, per the instructions in the original post of this thread?

It has always worked for me, with no issues.

Edited by Nebulous112

I am using FNIS version 6.2.  I have not changed any of my mods so I do not think this is an issue.  I am running FNIS through Mod Organizer and it is set up correctly. I say this because it seemed to work before. As I stated I had no apparent problems until I started  questioning the issue with the OVERWRITE and the OUTPUT mods. 

You could be right in your thought it could possibly not be related to FNIS although I'm not sure I understand how this could be so.

I am thinking I will uninstall FNIS and start from the beginning with it and see if that will make a difference.  Perhaps something I did in trying to figure out how to operate the OVERWRITE and OUTPUT mods fouled up the works. 

The problems I have had mostly stem from me trying to listen to too many sources for information at the same time.  Too many cooks in the same kitchen affair.  I am learning right here on step has been my best source.

Thank you for your time and effort.  Perseverance will pay off! 

i have not been able to get fins working in mo and was told i could get some help asking here. i followed these instructions in installing fnis in mo. the videos i watched mutpile times, following the instructions as i was doing so. pausing the video as i did what i was told to do, sometimes i needed to back up a bit because i did not quite catch what had been said.

ghopher: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpOuGN-yr6E&index=11&list=PLE7DlYarj-DcLS9LyjEqOJwFUQIIQewcK
gamer poets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MqZ-EPdBvk
s.t.e.p. guide: https://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:Mod_Organizer#Third_Party_Programs

these are the two fnis messages from my most recent attempts, hope my attempts at using spoiler tags works.

mo

FNIS Behavior V6.2   12/29/15 10:20:37 PM

Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS2HDT (115 bones)   male: Unknown (99 bones)

Patch: "GENDER Specific Animations"

Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix"

Reading FNISBase V6.2 ...

Reading MomoAJ V?.? ...

Reading XPMSE V6.1  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 152 alternate animations) ...

Reading boundwoodchopping V?.?  ( 1 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations) ...

Reading mslVampiricThirst V?.? ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...

16 GENDER modifications for Animations\male

45 GENDER modifications for Animations\female

ERROR(2012): Could not generate: defaultfemale.hkx defaultmale.hkx weapequip.hkx staggerbehavior.hkx sprintbehavior.hkx shout_behavior.hkx mt_behavior.hkx magicmountedbehavior.hkx magicbehavior.hkx magic_readied_direction_behavior.hkx 1hm_locomotion.hkx 1hm_behavior.hkx 0_master.hkx

nmm

FNIS Behavior V6.2   12/30/15 12:53:48 PM

Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: XPMS2HDT (115 bones)   male: XPMS2HDT (115 bones)

Patch: "GENDER Specific Animations"

Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix"

Reading boundwoodchopping V?.?  ( 1 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations) ...

Reading FNISBase V6.2 ...

Reading FNISCreatureVersion V6.1 ...

Reading MomoAJ V?.? ...

Reading mslVampiricThirst V?.? ...

Reading XPMSE V6.1  ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 chair, 152 alternate animations) ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...

16 GENDER modifications for Animations\male

45 GENDER modifications for Animations\female

mt_behavior usage: 2.8 %   ( 1 furniture, 0 offset, 0 chair, 0 alternate animations)

0_master usage: 4.9 %   ( 0 paired, 0 kill, 80 alternate animations)

Alternate Animation mods: 1 sets: 16 total groups: 24 added file slots: 156 alternate files: 152

Create Creature Behaviors ...

209 animations for 6 mods successfully included (character)

i also have an 808 kb log from my mo test run, and a 1185 kb log from my nmm run.

edit: spoiler tags work, still cannot figure outhow to add the logs from my fnis tests.

Edited by patchling