[ Q & A ] Using FNIS with Mod Organizer

GrantSP

Question

This topic is specifically for FNIS related issues when using Mod Organizer.

--

EDIT: 17th April 2016.

Due to @fore's "issues" with MO he has pulled all support and directed it here.

Let it be stated that the "issues" he notes are due to user error and there is no inherent issue with FNIS running in MO.

Further his claim that FNIS WILL NOT run through MO on Windows 10 machines is just wrong! DO NOT follow the advice he offers regarding using FNIS and MO.

--

Setting up FNIS to run through MO

Install it like any other mod through MO and make sure it is active (checkmarked) in the left pane mod list.

Since you must launch FNIS through Mod Organizer in order for it to recognize your mods, add FNIS to the list of executables by doing the following:

1. Click the gears icon Gear_MO.png.
  2. In the Title field, type FNIS.
  3. For the Binary field, browse to your FNIS installation (should be located in <ModOrganizer>/mods/Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users) and select the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe application.
  4. Click the Add button. This will add FNIS to your executables list.
  5. Click OK.

Now each time you want to run FNIS, simply select it from the drop-down menu at top right and click Run.

Running through MO

1. Launch FNIS through MO
  2. In the Available Patches at the bottom of the window, check the boxes for all necessary patches in your setup.
  3. Click the [update FNIS Behavior] button and wait for a message to appear in the window stating "X animations for Y mods successfully included.".
  4. Click [Exit].

After closing FNIS, there will be files in Overwrite (essentially a fake mod located at the bottom of the left pane if sorted by priority ascending) created by FNIS. Right-click Overwrite and select Create Mod, name it FNIS Output and click OK. This will create a new mod listing in the left pane for the FNIS generated files. You will then need to check it to enable it. Each subsequent time you update FNIS behavior, you must open Overwrite and drag the new files back to this mod.

Common Errors

Error 53 or 2012

"Could not find file <path to file>\1hm_behavior.hkx

Ensure the animation sets you have installed are correctly placed in priority in the left-hand pane and FNIS is using the one you want. Open the Data tab in the right-hand pane and examine the filetree to see which animation is being used in the VFS.

Navigate the filetree by expanding: data>meshes>actors>character>behaviors> and see which mod is providing the file.

If the file name is displayed in red, the mouse tooltip will show which other mods are also providing this file. Move the correct mod to the correct location.

Additional cause for Error 2012

A user(@patchling) had Spybot - Search & Destroy+AV 2.5 installed and was constantly getting JIT and 2012 errors, specifically the 0_master.xml was not found. The file was placed in the FNIS temporary_log folder ready for processing but before that could happen it was removed by said program. Opening the start menu > settings > live protection > mode > uncheck "Scan programs before they start" apparently stops that behaviour.

Error dialogue

GenerateFNISForUsers.exe - This application could not be started.

This application could not be started.

Do you want to view information about this issue?

Simply close the dialogue by pressing "No" and enable FNIS in the Left-hand pane. Correct FNIS installation and use explains this in the wiki.

Why does the 6.2 Add-on not look correct in MO?

What you need to remember here is MO is designed to handle 'mods' and what we are installing with FNIS, and its add-ons, are 'tools'.

This means MO is looking for the correct folder structure for a 'mod' as seen by the game. The archive for the 6.2 add-on has as its top folder: "tools" and this is correct for FNIS, not the game.

Simply 'set the data folder' so that the "tools" folder is now at the top of the tree and ignore the next dialogue that asks if you are sure.

Thanks for the response Greg. Is there a list of all the FNIS errors somewhere that Im not aware of?

I have no antivirus installed. I checked my file path in the error: \meshes\actors\character\animations\FNIS_PCEA2\1Bergzore_ImmersiveAnimations\1hm_attackpowerforwardsprint.hkx'. and sure enough there is nothing there.

Here is proof of there being no PCEA2 folder in that location as I stated above when I checked:

E:\New Steam\steamapps\common\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Mod Organizer\MO Versions\Mod Organizer v1.3.11\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS\Meshes\actors\character\animations.......

>FNISBase (folder)

>FNISCreature Version (folder)

>FNISSpells (folder)

Now that I think about it, PCEA2 did not download right away in MO downloads list. It just kind of remained at 0%. I had to force close the program and cancel the specific download. All my other mods had no problem. Even big downloads like INPCs started after a few minutes. Why is that?

I'll let @Greg answer your question directly, but I'll make an observation about the way you have your system installed: The paths are needlessly long.

e.g.

E:\New Steam\steamapps\common\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Mod Organizer\MO Versions\Mod Organizer v1.3.11\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS\

Firstly I'd move MO out of the Steam directory as there may be issues with exceeding path lengths with some tools, such as FNIS, if you keep MO installed that way.

Keep Steam and any games you have in its own directory and install MO somewhere else and lose the sub-folder structure. Just "ModOrganizer", or similar, is recommended, not:

\Mod Organizer\MO Versions\Mod Organizer v1.3.11\

Grant makes a good point that I had initially overlooked. If I'm reading this correctly, FNIS is trying to work with this file:

E:\New Steam\steamapps\common\The Elder Scrolls V Skyrim\Mod Organizer\MO Versions\Mod Organizer v1.3.11\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS\meshes\actors\character\animations\FNIS_PCEA2\1Bergzore_ImmersiveAnimations\1hm_attackpowerforwardsprint.hkx

This is about 252 characters, which is getting really close to the 260 character path limitation, so some of the paths may be exceeding the maximum path limit.

Shorten that path and then try again. If you have the same issue, uncheck all the animation mods (except FNIS) and run GenerateFNISForUsers so we can verify the base animations are generating correctly. Assuming this works correctly, check one animation mod and run GenerateFNISForUsers again. Keep going until you reproduce the issue.

I got this message when i tried to run FNIS for users and i have uninstalled and reinstalled Creature Pack 15 times i get this message every time

\GenerateFNIS_for_Users.<<

Skeleton(hkx) female: Default (99 bones)   male: Default (99 bones)

Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix" 

Reading FNISBase V6.3 ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...

0_master usage: 1.1 %   ( 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 alternate animations)

Alternate Animation mods: 0 sets: 0 total groups: 0 added file slots: 0 alternate files: 0

Creature Pack not installed

47 animations for 1 mods successfully included (character)

2 Warning(s).

Welcome to STEP @LokiFenrir1228

Is FNIS Creature Pack activated, ie. checked, in the left-hand pane?

FNIS is very intuitive as to what is or isn't installed so if says it isn't installed, as the log snippet above shows, then it is correctly installed.

The packaging of FNIS Creature Pack needs a bit of work to make it function correctly in MO, it is 1 level deeper than it needs to be. Have you installed it manually AND set the "Data folder" to remove the message:

"No game data on top level"?

Yes I fixed the No game data message but I don't think I installed it manually I'll try it and get back to you.

Welcome to STEP @LokiFenrir1228

Is FNIS Creature Pack activated, ie. checked, in the left-hand pane?

FNIS is very intuitive as to what is or isn't installed so if says it isn't installed, as the log snippet above shows, then it is correctly installed.

The packaging of FNIS Creature Pack needs a bit of work to make it function correctly in MO, it is 1 level deeper than it needs to be. Have you installed it manually AND set the "Data folder" to remove the message:

"No game data on top level"?

Edited by LokiFenrir1228

OK i uninstalled it and reinstalled it and i got this

>>Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim installation directory.<<
FNIS Behavior V6.3   12/26/2016 9:19:03 PM
Skyrim: ??.?? - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)
Generator: C:\Users\PC\Downloads\FNIS Behavior V6_3-11811-V6-3\FNIS Behavior 6.3\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
>>Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from <Skyrim_Data>\Tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users.<<

Skeleton(hkx) female: Default (99 bones)   male: Default (99 bones)
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix" 

Reading FNISBase V6.3 ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...
0_master usage: 1.1 %   ( 0 paired, 0 kill, 0 alternate animations)
Alternate Animation mods: 0 sets: 0 total groups: 0 added file slots: 0 alternate files: 0

Creature Pack not installed

47 animations for 1 mods successfully included (character)
 2 Warning(s).
Edited by LokiFenrir1228

Are you using NMM? That looks like a very common error made by NMM users? Take note of the location that the log is saying the tool is running from! NMM mistakenly calls the FNIS tool from a temp location used after extraction and not from the installation folder. It may also be possible you have set that yourself in which case you will need to change that to point to the true location.

Generator: C:\Users\PC\Downloads\FNIS Behavior V6_3-11811-V6-3\FNIS Behavior 6.3\Data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

The bold section is incorrect, it should be from the Skyrim installation.

And yes i did use NMM at first but i switched over to Mod Organizer

Herein lies the issue.

Depending on how you had NMM setup you probably have masses of files strewn throughout your Skyrim installation. All of which need to purged to avoid conflicts with MO managed files.

Specific to FNIS, you will need to remove the NMM installed version completely and then install it via MO if you want to use it.

It is probably easiest to do that with ALL your NMM installed mods and re-install them via MO.

@GamerPoets has a lot of tutorial videos on all manner of MO related stuff and I strongly urge you to watch some of those. Also the MO wiki contains all you need to answer most of the common questions about MO.