[ Q & A ] Using FNIS with Mod Organizer

GrantSP

Question

This topic is specifically for FNIS related issues when using Mod Organizer.

--

EDIT: 17th April 2016.

Due to @fore's "issues" with MO he has pulled all support and directed it here.

Let it be stated that the "issues" he notes are due to user error and there is no inherent issue with FNIS running in MO.

Further his claim that FNIS WILL NOT run through MO on Windows 10 machines is just wrong! DO NOT follow the advice he offers regarding using FNIS and MO.

--

Setting up FNIS to run through MO

Install it like any other mod through MO and make sure it is active (checkmarked) in the left pane mod list.

Since you must launch FNIS through Mod Organizer in order for it to recognize your mods, add FNIS to the list of executables by doing the following:

1. Click the gears icon Gear_MO.png.
  2. In the Title field, type FNIS.
  3. For the Binary field, browse to your FNIS installation (should be located in <ModOrganizer>/mods/Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users) and select the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe application.
  4. Click the Add button. This will add FNIS to your executables list.
  5. Click OK.

Now each time you want to run FNIS, simply select it from the drop-down menu at top right and click Run.

Running through MO

1. Launch FNIS through MO
  2. In the Available Patches at the bottom of the window, check the boxes for all necessary patches in your setup.
  3. Click the [update FNIS Behavior] button and wait for a message to appear in the window stating "X animations for Y mods successfully included.".
  4. Click [Exit].

After closing FNIS, there will be files in Overwrite (essentially a fake mod located at the bottom of the left pane if sorted by priority ascending) created by FNIS. Right-click Overwrite and select Create Mod, name it FNIS Output and click OK. This will create a new mod listing in the left pane for the FNIS generated files. You will then need to check it to enable it. Each subsequent time you update FNIS behavior, you must open Overwrite and drag the new files back to this mod.

Common Errors

Error 53 or 2012

"Could not find file <path to file>\1hm_behavior.hkx

Ensure the animation sets you have installed are correctly placed in priority in the left-hand pane and FNIS is using the one you want. Open the Data tab in the right-hand pane and examine the filetree to see which animation is being used in the VFS.

Navigate the filetree by expanding: data>meshes>actors>character>behaviors> and see which mod is providing the file.

If the file name is displayed in red, the mouse tooltip will show which other mods are also providing this file. Move the correct mod to the correct location.

Additional cause for Error 2012

A user(@patchling) had Spybot - Search & Destroy+AV 2.5 installed and was constantly getting JIT and 2012 errors, specifically the 0_master.xml was not found. The file was placed in the FNIS temporary_log folder ready for processing but before that could happen it was removed by said program. Opening the start menu > settings > live protection > mode > uncheck "Scan programs before they start" apparently stops that behaviour.

Error dialogue

GenerateFNISForUsers.exe - This application could not be started.

This application could not be started.

Do you want to view information about this issue?

Simply close the dialogue by pressing "No" and enable FNIS in the Left-hand pane. Correct FNIS installation and use explains this in the wiki.

Why does the 6.2 Add-on not look correct in MO?

What you need to remember here is MO is designed to handle 'mods' and what we are installing with FNIS, and its add-ons, are 'tools'.

This means MO is looking for the correct folder structure for a 'mod' as seen by the game. The archive for the 6.2 add-on has as its top folder: "tools" and this is correct for FNIS, not the game.

Simply 'set the data folder' so that the "tools" folder is now at the top of the tree and ignore the next dialogue that asks if you are sure.

Hi guys, hoping someone can help me out, I've searched around on this subject but haven't seen any definitive answers. I've been running FNIS for a while now with no issues. I recently decided I would create a mirror profile of my current playthrough just for screenshots- adjusted ini's, more animation mods, etc. I created the new profile, made the adjustments, re-ran FNIS and created a new patch mod just for that profile, totally separate from the original profile. Problem is, when I return to Profile A, everyone is in the T. I re-run FNIS for profile A, everything is fine, but then none of the new animations work for profile B. Re-run for B, fixed, go back to A, same problem. 

My FNIS is installed as a mod with MO, not in the data folder. I run it as an executable from within MO. I'm moving the files out of overwrite into a unique mod for each profile. What am I missing? Should I install another instance of FNIS and run a separate executable for each profile, or am I just going to have to re-run FNIS every time I switch back and forth between profiles? That's doable but kind of a pain and seems like it shouldn't work that way. Any advice appreciated, thanks!

Each profile needs to have it's own separate FNIS output mod created to handle the mods specific to that profile.

Profile A needs FNIS Output A

Profile B also needs a FNIS output but you cannot just update the existing one (Profile A). Disable the FNIS Output from Profile A and create an entirely new one and name it to match the second profile.

However previous versions did have an issue when certain creature animations were active that actually saved the animations into the FNIS mod itself. So, are you running the latest versions of all tools and mods?

Do you have any mods from that "other" site for specific animations? Many animations that are used for sexually explicit animations are known to be problematic.

Yes, each profile has its own unique and totally separate output mod, although I have not tried completely disabling output mod A while using profile B. Since they are separate profiles and separate, uniquely named output folders I wouldn't have guessed I would need to disable one while I used the other, but I will try that next and see if it works.

I am using FNIS 6.0.2, not 6.2, but I'm a bit hesitant to update mid-game.

I don't use any mods from that "other" site, no :) I did however get the Halo animations for my screenshot profile, though I haven't heard of any major issues with it and they work fine in game. They're just poses anyway not actual animations.

FNIS 6.2 is recommended. @fore and I found some issues with saved data not being placed correctly and this version addresses those issues.

As for the naming of the FNIS output. The actual name you give it is not passed on to the tools run inside MO, all they see are the files in the mod. So if you have two FNIS output mods in MO both will contain the exact same named files and only the highest priority mod will be used. This is why it is vital to deactivate the previous profile's mod so the contents wont be overwritten.

I updated FNIS to the latest version and tried again, this time deactivating entirely the main FNIS mod and esp as well as the patch-generated mod, while activating all in the profile I wanted to use. It did not make a difference. Whatever profile I generate a FNIS patch for last is what I get in my game, regardless of what I have activated where. So if I run the patcher for profile A (gameplay profile)  last, leave the mod deactivated, switch to profile B (screenshot profile) and log in, none of my Halo animations work because profile A does not include Halo. 

Just to be clear here, I am not switching from one active profile to a new profile permanently, I am switching back and forth between profiles, each which uses a different set of animations. It does not seem to matter to FNIS that I am using different profiles, or deactivating my patch mod in one when switching to the other, the tool itself seems to overwrite everything, across profiles, making it so that each and every time I swap to the other profile, I have to completely re-run the patcher all over again, for the profile I am switching to. 

You are a brave person asking for this wall of text :D

Here are the 2 most recent MO logs:

https://pastebin.com/mhXFPc2M

https://pastebin.com/cDjG16w7

The FNIS log from profile A:

https://pastebin.com/1Ni0NXmX

The FNIS log from profile B: (this is in two parts because it exceeds pastebin's limit!)

Part 1:
https://pastebin.com/2SMmDCPV

Part 2:
https://pastebin.com/GG9qbUUZ

Profile A Mods:
https://pastebin.com/AfS4fA6n

Profile B Mods:
https://pastebin.com/6vfMgYCi

Link to Halo mod:
https://mod.dysintropi.me/mods/Skyrim/Halo%27sPoser_C.7z

Halo webpage (which is not very useful)
https://mod.dysintropi.me/

As an aside, I found a couple people around the internet complaining of the same issue and claiming to have fixed it by installing completely separate instances of the FNIS mod and executable for each profile. I tried this, to no avail.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited by aaltair

Okay, we have another mod that is totally messing with the base FNIS behaviours. I'll contact @fore to see what can be done.

In the mean time I suggest simply re-installing the FNIS mod after switching profiles, or as @Sacremas and some others do, install FNIS multiple times and use different versions for different profiles. Cumbersome but it may be the best option, for now.

Oh so it's the Halo mod that's causing the problem? Argh. 

In regards to installing FNIS multiple times and using different versions for different profiles, I did that and experienced the same problem. Basically I installed another entire FNIS mod and added the whole new one as its own executable just for the second profile. It did not seem to make any difference.

Just been PMing @fore.

I don't believe you have FNIS PCEA2 installed do you? That allow multiple sets of animations to be used and may be the way to go with this. Regarding the problem you had with multiple FNIS installs, remember to call the executable from the correct installation. But as mentioned, using PCEA2 may fix this odd behaviour.

I'm going to install it and fiddle around. As I don't use a lot of animation mods I rarely install these extras, only when looking into questions such as yours.

Well it's definitely the Halo mod, I tried uninstalling it and when I did and ran FNIS the other animations worked separately for each profile as they should.

Multiple FNIS installs is definitely not working to fix the issue with Halo installed, I've tried it twice now and verified that I am running the correct executable. I installed the second FNIS instance with a totally different name from the first, both for a mod name and an executable name, and they each have unique binary paths in the executable. Even so, if I include Halo and run FNIS on Profile B, when I go back to profile A everyone is in the T. 

This issue is making me wonder what other sorts of shenanigans that Halo mod might be pulling in my game :-/

Well it's definitely the Halo mod, I tried uninstalling it and when I did and ran FNIS the other animations worked separately for each profile as they should.

Multiple FNIS installs is definitely not working to fix the issue with Halo installed, I've tried it twice now and verified that I am running the correct executable. I installed the second FNIS instance with a totally different name from the first, both for a mod name and an executable name, and they each have unique binary paths in the executable. Even so, if I include Halo and run FNIS on Profile B, when I go back to profile A everyone is in the T. 

This issue is making me wonder what other sorts of shenanigans that Halo mod might be pulling in my game :-/

I installed @fores PCEA2 mod and copied the the two sets of HALO animations into folders, as per the documentation, and I seem to be able to toggle those sets on and off. I have not though actually seen all the animations, most of them are not to my taste. See if PCEA2 can be of any use to you.

I installed @fores PCEA2 mod and copied the the two sets of HALO animations into folders, as per the documentation, and I seem to be able to toggle those sets on and off. I have not though actually seen all the animations, most of them are not to my taste. See if PCEA2 can be of any use to you.

Yeah there's about 1 out of 10 that fit in, the rest aren't to my taste either but I like having the extra options of that 1/10. Not sure if it's worth the hassle though, if it's doing weird things with FNIS it just makes me wonder what other effect it's having. Keeping it in a dedicated screenshot profile only probably keeps me safe but you never know. Well, you probably know, but I don't, lol and now I'm suspicious of it.

I really appreciate you looking into this for me and hopefully it's helpful to others who might experience this same issue! Thanks!