[ Q & A ] Using FNIS with Mod Organizer

GrantSP

Question

This topic is specifically for FNIS related issues when using Mod Organizer.

--

EDIT: 17th April 2016.

Due to @fore's "issues" with MO he has pulled all support and directed it here.

Let it be stated that the "issues" he notes are due to user error and there is no inherent issue with FNIS running in MO.

Further his claim that FNIS WILL NOT run through MO on Windows 10 machines is just wrong! DO NOT follow the advice he offers regarding using FNIS and MO.

--

Setting up FNIS to run through MO

Install it like any other mod through MO and make sure it is active (checkmarked) in the left pane mod list.

Since you must launch FNIS through Mod Organizer in order for it to recognize your mods, add FNIS to the list of executables by doing the following:

1. Click the gears icon Gear_MO.png.
  2. In the Title field, type FNIS.
  3. For the Binary field, browse to your FNIS installation (should be located in <ModOrganizer>/mods/Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users) and select the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe application.
  4. Click the Add button. This will add FNIS to your executables list.
  5. Click OK.

Now each time you want to run FNIS, simply select it from the drop-down menu at top right and click Run.

Running through MO

1. Launch FNIS through MO
  2. In the Available Patches at the bottom of the window, check the boxes for all necessary patches in your setup.
  3. Click the [update FNIS Behavior] button and wait for a message to appear in the window stating "X animations for Y mods successfully included.".
  4. Click [Exit].

After closing FNIS, there will be files in Overwrite (essentially a fake mod located at the bottom of the left pane if sorted by priority ascending) created by FNIS. Right-click Overwrite and select Create Mod, name it FNIS Output and click OK. This will create a new mod listing in the left pane for the FNIS generated files. You will then need to check it to enable it. Each subsequent time you update FNIS behavior, you must open Overwrite and drag the new files back to this mod.

Common Errors

Error 53 or 2012

"Could not find file <path to file>\1hm_behavior.hkx

Ensure the animation sets you have installed are correctly placed in priority in the left-hand pane and FNIS is using the one you want. Open the Data tab in the right-hand pane and examine the filetree to see which animation is being used in the VFS.

Navigate the filetree by expanding: data>meshes>actors>character>behaviors> and see which mod is providing the file.

If the file name is displayed in red, the mouse tooltip will show which other mods are also providing this file. Move the correct mod to the correct location.

Additional cause for Error 2012

A user(@patchling) had Spybot - Search & Destroy+AV 2.5 installed and was constantly getting JIT and 2012 errors, specifically the 0_master.xml was not found. The file was placed in the FNIS temporary_log folder ready for processing but before that could happen it was removed by said program. Opening the start menu > settings > live protection > mode > uncheck "Scan programs before they start" apparently stops that behaviour.

Error dialogue

GenerateFNISForUsers.exe - This application could not be started.

This application could not be started.

Do you want to view information about this issue?

Simply close the dialogue by pressing "No" and enable FNIS in the Left-hand pane. Correct FNIS installation and use explains this in the wiki.

Why does the 6.2 Add-on not look correct in MO?

What you need to remember here is MO is designed to handle 'mods' and what we are installing with FNIS, and its add-ons, are 'tools'.

This means MO is looking for the correct folder structure for a 'mod' as seen by the game. The archive for the 6.2 add-on has as its top folder: "tools" and this is correct for FNIS, not the game.

Simply 'set the data folder' so that the "tools" folder is now at the top of the tree and ignore the next dialogue that asks if you are sure.

The error message is from your OS and is related to the FNIS code. You can post on GitHub but I feel sure you will be directed back to the FNIS page for support.

Recently @fore has thawed in his opposition to MO and he may be more sympathetic to your plight now. Try again on his Nexus page and provide as much detail about the JIT message and the locations of all the tools used in the issue.

I know this sounds like you are being dismissed but it truly one of those errors that needs the coder of the program to examine it. As my system doesn't generate these issues, nor do I know how to get it to do so, I can't even try to help bugfix this with you.

so far i have received: 1) a friendly welcome. 2) verification that i am indeed using the same methods that work for so many people. and 3) reduced the number of possibilities of what might be happening. i reposted that narrowed down list of options at https://github.com/TanninOne/modorganizer/issues/464#issuecomment-171686399 and have had help narrowing it down to about . . . one possibility, i think.

@GrantSP it does not sound (to me) like i am being dismissed, just that you have given me all the help that you can. some of that help happens includes directions to a place where i may be able to get more help.

I am using "Combat behavior improved" and FNIS 6 together in Mod Organizer. Running the FNIS for users to generate the FNIS output deletes behaviour files from the "Combat Behavior Improved" folder inside Mod Organizer. I guess this is due to FNIS not supporting MO and assuming the files are all inside a normal non-MO folder structure. Can someone tell me if thats a problem?

Edited by snares

I am using "Combat behavior improved" and FNIS 6 together in Mod Organizer. Running the FNIS for users to generate the FNIS output deletes behaviour files from the "Combat Behavior Improved" folder inside Mod Organizer. I guess this is due to FNIS not supporting MO and assuming the files are all inside a normal non-MO folder structure. Can someone tell me if thats a problem?

I just installed this to see what's happening and you are correct, the behaviour files are being removed. This should not happen. Best idea is to let @fore know about it, perhaps he can shed some light on the matter.

In the meantime you will have to re-install this mod everytime you update your FNIS output.

I just installed this to see what's happening and you are correct, the behaviour files are being removed. This should not happen. Best idea is to let @fore know about it, perhaps he can shed some light on the matter.

In the meantime you will have to re-install this mod everytime you update your FNIS output.

Thanks for confirming my assumptions. I dropped fore a note on his nexus thread.

EDIT: Got an answer from Fore:

"Although I have a patch for his mod (for an earlier CBI version), FNIS and CBI are practically incompatible now. moljka is aware that that I overwrite those files, and he's aware that he has to provide proper input when he wants his newest version patched into FNIS.

So I just lean back and wait what happens."

Edited by snares

The error message is from your OS and is related to the FNIS code. You can post on GitHub but I feel sure you will be directed back to the FNIS page for support.

Recently @fore has thawed in his opposition to MO and he may be more sympathetic to your plight now. Try again on his Nexus page and provide as much detail about the JIT message and the locations of all the tools used in the issue.

I know this sounds like you are being dismissed but it truly one of those errors that needs the coder of the program to examine it. As my system doesn't generate these issues, nor do I know how to get it to do so, I can't even try to help bugfix this with you.

Grant, could please have a look here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3733385-need-help-getting-fnis-to-work-in-mo/?p=33950540

Apparently the OP has 2 Skyrim installations, and somehow they get mangled up.

Grant, could please have a look here: https://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/3733385-need-help-getting-fnis-to-work-in-mo/?p=33950540

Apparently the OP has 2 Skyrim installations, and somehow they get mangled up.

Not sure where you got the idea he has two installs, if you are looking at that GitHub post by @Tannin where he references D:\ then that will be @Tannin's install, not @patchling's.

As you can see from this thread he asked here first and the problem was the JIT error and I directed him to your information about this and also to post his findings in the GitHub repo, which he apparently has done.

Now from reading through those it seems the issue now faced is the length of a *.hkx file asked for by FNIS is different to what is found and then an error (2012) is given. This is what @Tannin had to say:

Well, so now you're a little further. I told you the sequence of commands fnis does and from your log we can tell that in your case fnis does only the first step: deleting 0_master.hkx.

Immediately afterwards it causes an exception code e0434352 and then ends. You don't need to know what e0434352 means, you can google it.

You will find (on every single hit of the first couple of hundred pages of search results) that this signals any CLR/.Net exception - which is the framework used by fnis.

Since this is so close to the end of the log and is the only exception found in mos log and your jit log did also report an exception (FileNotFoundException to be more specific) we can assume that's the same one.

The jit log has a backtrace to the exception, and from that we find that fnis was calling FileInfo.get_Length().

Even without being able to code you can deduce that this means fnis was querying the size of that file.

And thanks to MO's log you now know that it did so immediately after deleting that very file!

This is the extend of what I can tell you by looking at it from the MO side.

I can only assume the order of his animation mods is providing him with the wrong base *.hkx files and this may be causing the FileInfo.get_Length() error. I'm only making assumptions here.

I'll join in the discussion in both the GitHub and Nexus threads and ask him.

EDIT:

Actually looking through his logs he has both XPMS and XPMS Extended. I'm not sure but isn't XPMS superceded by XPMSE? Thus he doesn't need both installed?

Greetings

I'm fairly new to using Mod Organizer but was using STEP to assist me as I installed. Got right to the almost end where I added FNIS and the whole thing went wacko.

I got the Overwrite files sorted out thanks to the helpful Wiki. But now, the following error text has me bamboozled. If anyone can help me get un-bamboozled, it would be greatly appreciated. I thought I'd done as the text had indicated but upon starting the new game, my character is in the middle of the cart.  Help!

DEBUG (00:17:15.0950): remove mod file D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE
INFO (00:17:15.0950): deleting D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE -> D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE
DEBUG (00:17:15.0981): using path from previous deletion: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE
DEBUG (00:17:15.0996): remove mod file D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt

ERROR (00:17:15.0996): not a mod directory: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE
DEBUG (00:17:16.0055): move (ex) D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt to D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.SAVE - 1 (183)
DEBUG (00:17:16.0063): using path from previous deletion: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt
DEBUG (00:17:16.0078): remove mod file D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile2.txt
DEBUG (00:17:16.0078): add mod file D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt (meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt)
DEBUG (00:17:16.0078): move (ex) D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile2.txt to D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\data\meshes\animationsetdatasinglefile.txt - 1 (183)

Thank you so much. Feeling quite lost here.

Edited by Taaf

Apart from the cart ride being slightly odd, is your game actually running as expected? All the characters are using the correct animations?

The cart ride is known to be a very buggy location and anything you see during that time shouldn't be taken as an indicator of your game's stability.

Now as to the error logged, the most likely case is you lack sufficient privileges on the folder where FNIS is working. It is generally best to install MO, and any tools used by it, outside the Program Files folder. You have it installed directly below the Steam install which is in turn in that folder structure.

Having said that though, as I mentioned earlier, if the FNIS tool created the animations and nothing was shown by it, FNIS, as an error, then you can safely ignore this one.

The characters are standing, in place, arms out wide. No movement. Yep, it's bugged. I think I'll be re-installing. As I understood from the wiki, I run FNIS from within MO, but you seem to indicate otherwise. Or do I just need to ensure that it's outside of the Skyrim structure?

This will be my fourth attempt to get the game running correctly. Here's hoping.

I think you are misunderstanding Grant. FNIS absolutely needs to be run from within MO. Grant is mentioning MO (and therefore FNIS) should be outside of Program Files, because of UAC issues. Same could be said for Steam itself.

However, the most important thing is what does FNIS say when you run GenerateFNISforUsers? Do any error messages pop up?