[ Q & A ] Using FNIS with Mod Organizer

GrantSP

Question

This topic is specifically for FNIS related issues when using Mod Organizer.

--

EDIT: 17th April 2016.

Due to @fore's "issues" with MO he has pulled all support and directed it here.

Let it be stated that the "issues" he notes are due to user error and there is no inherent issue with FNIS running in MO.

Further his claim that FNIS WILL NOT run through MO on Windows 10 machines is just wrong! DO NOT follow the advice he offers regarding using FNIS and MO.

--

Setting up FNIS to run through MO

Install it like any other mod through MO and make sure it is active (checkmarked) in the left pane mod list.

Since you must launch FNIS through Mod Organizer in order for it to recognize your mods, add FNIS to the list of executables by doing the following:

1. Click the gears icon Gear_MO.png.
  2. In the Title field, type FNIS.
  3. For the Binary field, browse to your FNIS installation (should be located in <ModOrganizer>/mods/Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS/tools/GenerateFNIS_for_Users) and select the GenerateFNISforUsers.exe application.
  4. Click the Add button. This will add FNIS to your executables list.
  5. Click OK.

Now each time you want to run FNIS, simply select it from the drop-down menu at top right and click Run.

Running through MO

1. Launch FNIS through MO
  2. In the Available Patches at the bottom of the window, check the boxes for all necessary patches in your setup.
  3. Click the [update FNIS Behavior] button and wait for a message to appear in the window stating "X animations for Y mods successfully included.".
  4. Click [Exit].

After closing FNIS, there will be files in Overwrite (essentially a fake mod located at the bottom of the left pane if sorted by priority ascending) created by FNIS. Right-click Overwrite and select Create Mod, name it FNIS Output and click OK. This will create a new mod listing in the left pane for the FNIS generated files. You will then need to check it to enable it. Each subsequent time you update FNIS behavior, you must open Overwrite and drag the new files back to this mod.

Common Errors

Error 53 or 2012

"Could not find file <path to file>\1hm_behavior.hkx

Ensure the animation sets you have installed are correctly placed in priority in the left-hand pane and FNIS is using the one you want. Open the Data tab in the right-hand pane and examine the filetree to see which animation is being used in the VFS.

Navigate the filetree by expanding: data>meshes>actors>character>behaviors> and see which mod is providing the file.

If the file name is displayed in red, the mouse tooltip will show which other mods are also providing this file. Move the correct mod to the correct location.

Additional cause for Error 2012

A user(@patchling) had Spybot - Search & Destroy+AV 2.5 installed and was constantly getting JIT and 2012 errors, specifically the 0_master.xml was not found. The file was placed in the FNIS temporary_log folder ready for processing but before that could happen it was removed by said program. Opening the start menu > settings > live protection > mode > uncheck "Scan programs before they start" apparently stops that behaviour.

Error dialogue

GenerateFNISForUsers.exe - This application could not be started.

This application could not be started.

Do you want to view information about this issue?

Simply close the dialogue by pressing "No" and enable FNIS in the Left-hand pane. Correct FNIS installation and use explains this in the wiki.

Why does the 6.2 Add-on not look correct in MO?

What you need to remember here is MO is designed to handle 'mods' and what we are installing with FNIS, and its add-ons, are 'tools'.

This means MO is looking for the correct folder structure for a 'mod' as seen by the game. The archive for the 6.2 add-on has as its top folder: "tools" and this is correct for FNIS, not the game.

Simply 'set the data folder' so that the "tools" folder is now at the top of the tree and ignore the next dialogue that asks if you are sure.

I think Error 2022 indicates a directory problem.  The patch errors are a baffling.  Are you positive that you have installed each of these animation mods?  I'd try one at a time, and make your behavior updates, test, and then do the next.  It might make problem solving easier.

Up to half an hour ago, I had MO and FNIS working perfectly. Then, I got a CTD issue where, using Alternate Start, if I removed my clothes in the initial prison cell, (but not shoes, they were fine), the game just quit. Every time, without fail. I tried a skeleton reinstall, this didn't work so I thought it might be an animation issue, and uninstalled FNIS by 'removing' from the left pane of MO, the right pane of MO, and removing the executable. And now, FNIS absolutely refuses to reinstall. I download from nexus, as usual, taking the 'always necessary' the creature pack and the spells add on. These appear in the 'download' list and in the list of plugins (and yes, I checked the boxes lol) but nowhere in any of my Skyrim/Mod Organizer/Download folders. On one attempt, I did find the files in Downloads, but the Tools file was actually empty....no Generate for Users or any other file. On several occasions, the FNIS executable has reappeared after I removed it, after I've reinstalled FNIS but before I've attempted to restore the executable the normal way. It's as if, once downloaded, the files simply disappear. I'm completely baffled, and appreciate any and all help, because without FNIS, I can't play.

Manually downloading the file to desktop and physically moving it to 'Mod Organizer/Mods does give me access to the programme....however it only recognises 1 file, giving me 47 animations (I previously had something like 1800 over about seven/eight mods) and tells me the creature pack is not installed, which as I said before, is one of the 3 files I downloaded. Same goes for putting it into the Data folder in Skyrim.......47 animations and no creature pack

Edited by Skydragon1978

Welcome to STEP.

Sounds like something is removing these files after you installed them. Check your AV or Firewall packages to see if they are doing anything to MO.

You may need to set exemptions for MO if they are interfering. Nothing that happens in game will have any influence on the installed files used by MO. The game doesn't even know of the location of these files let alone have the capacity to remove them.

You only need to install the Creature Pack and the Spells Pack if you wish to add mods that change animations to creatures or spells, those two packs are not needed for general installation.

Also @fore has released a "Complete Fix" download that combines the version 5.5 and the 5.5 fix versions into one, it's listed in the "Update" section, you can use just that download to install FNIS.

wow what a quick response! Call me Impressed.com lol

I'm not sure what you mean by AV, and I've downloaded a lot of other mods tonight without trouble, so would that indicate it's not a firewall thing? As I said, I've had FNIS before and haven't changed any anti virus or firewall options since. The Complete Fix gives identical results to everything else.....47 animations. I've just now installed a mod, chosen at random, from Nexus, which worked perfectly. So it's not an issue with Nexus. All I know is, using a child replacer mod, every time I go to take off or switch clothes, specifically with the female models, I get a CTD which I've not had before...and it's vanilla clothing.

The latest development is, completely frozen character and NPC's, but I can now change clothing without crashing, I just can't move, fight, run, etc. A new install placed a file 'FNIS Behaviour 5.5-Always Necessary' in my Skyrim data folder, but none of the three other files (fix, spells, creatures), and I got the usual 47 animations.

Edited by Skydragon1978

AV == Anti-virus

I'm looking only at the issue of FNIS used via MO and all the information pertaining to how you install it or animations that need it.

Your CTDs have no bearing on how MO installs or runs FNIS. However, if you have created your animations and have them in a mod you have created from the "Overwrite" folder, if for whatever reason FNIS is being removed and the game is still looking for custom animations because of your mod, that may have something to do with it.

So you will need to look at this in two stages.

1. Solve the issue of FNIS being removed
  2. Examine your mod list and load order to see where these CTDs are coming from. There are dedicated threads here in STEP that you can read to solve those.

This thread is only to do with FNIS via MO, anything else will need to be discussed elsewhere.

Ah ok, I thought the CTD's were animation, and therefore FNIS related...my mistake. I've removed a few mods I recently installed, so will look at those as the cause of the CTD. I'm not aware of any animations coming from an 'overwrite' mod, and have no idea why FNIS appeared in the Data folder this time.......and even less of a clue why it still won't recognise my other mods. Sorry to be a noob and a pain, but can you suggest where I might start tracking this problem down, please?

We have a thread in the [General] section for Common CTDs. Have a look through there and then examine some of the threads about mods that you have in your load order that might be problematic. We also have pages dedicated to many mods and there issues.

As to your FNIS situation. Every mod that makes changes to animations requires FNIS to be run via MO so that these custom animations are generated properly. The output from the FNIS tool goes to the "Overwrite" folder and must be made into a 'user-created mod' and then activated in MO so the game sees them. This is discussed in detail in the FNIS page and you should acquaint yourself with its use.

May I also suggest you read the wiki and watch the tutorial videos on the use of MO. Many of the points here are handled in detail.

Make sure FNIS and any other animation mods are checked in the left pane. If it isn't checked (active), it's as if it doesn't really exist. Also make sure any other animation mods (FNIS Creature Pack, PCEA are below the FNIS main mod in the left pane

they are like you said. but still dont work. Am i need to install FNIS IN the Game director ??? can someone  send me a tut ? could that be that FNIS dont find my gamefolder ? couse there are some "????" in the FNIS program

>>Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim installation directory.<<
FNIS Behavior V5.5 fix1   03.10.2015 16:39:22
Skyrim: ??.?? - 
Generator: C:\Steam Games\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

GamerPoets has a video that details installing FNIS in Mod Organizer. Note that you do not need the Creature Pack or the Spell add-on so you should skip these two steps.

EDIT: After you install FNIS in the video, pause the video and also install FNIS Behavior V5_5 Fix 1 and click Merge when prompted to merge the fix into FNIS 5.5 Always Required. Alternatively, you can install just FNIS Behavior V5_5 Fix 1 COMPLETE. This one includes both the 5.5 Always Required and FNIS 5.5 Fix 1 merged into one installer so it might be a little easier to install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MqZ-EPdBvk

GamerPoets has a video that details installing FNIS in Mod Organizer. Note that you do not need the Creature Pack or the Spell add-on so you should skip these two steps.

EDIT: After you install FNIS in the video, pause the video and also install FNIS Behavior V5_5 Fix 1 and click Merge when prompted to merge the fix into FNIS 5.5 Always Required. Alternatively, you can install just FNIS Behavior V5_5 Fix 1 COMPLETE. This one includes both the 5.5 Always Required and FNIS 5.5 Fix 1 merged into one installer so it might be a little easier to install.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MqZ-EPdBvk

After 5:55 it isnt possible for me to continue the tut becouse when i click on the "overwrite" button nothing will be overwrited and i am not able to creat the mod "FNIS Patch". What can i do now ??? -.-

EDIT: I have found out, that FNIS program cant reach the animation mods. it told me that i dont had installed the creature pack. (i have installed them as 2 different mods) so i installed them into 1 folder with mo and now the program sees that i have installed the creature pack. but its very awkward and confused to put all animations and FNIS in one folder.... has someone a idea?  

so now i know that the Generate FNIS program cant use the virtual data structure of MO

Edited by Gebiiiter

they are like you said. but still dont work. Am i need to install FNIS IN the Game director ??? can someone  send me a tut ? could that be that FNIS dont find my gamefolder ? couse there are some "????" in the FNIS program

>>Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from a Skyrim installation directory.<<
FNIS Behavior V5.5 fix1   03.10.2015 16:39:22
Skyrim: ??.?? - 
Generator: C:\Steam Games\SteamApps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\Fores New Idles in Skyrim - FNIS\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe

The message displayed here is saying FNIS can't find your Skyrim installation.

This happens if you have a pirated copy, in which case no further help will be forthcoming, or you haven't yet run the game and set the needed entries in the registry. Ensure Skyrim has been run at least once before proceeding any further.

i bought skyrim on steam. But since i had redownloaded Skyrim for step. @ Dragon lord if this solve the problem. everything would be fine :D:D

EDIT: this solved the Skyrim path problem, but i have still the problem that FNIS cant use the data structure of MO

FNIS Behavior V5.5 fix1   04.10.2015 08:22:03
Skyrim: ??.?? - C:\Steam Games\steamapps\common\Skyrim\ (Steam)

Skeleton(hkx) female: Default (99 bones)   male: Default (99 bones)
Patch: "GENDER Specific Animations" 
Patch: "SKELETON Arm Fix" 
Patch: * xp32's "PC Exclusive Animation Path" (PCEA
>>Warning: * xp32's "PC Exclusive Animation Path" (PCEA)  not installed<<
Patch: * xp32's "New Animation for Running with Bow" 
>>Warning: * xp32's "New Animation for Running with Bow"  not installed<<
Patch: * xp32's "New Animation for 1H Weapon" 
>>Warning: * xp32's "New Animation for 1H Weapon"  not installed<<
Patch: * xp32's "Momo Acrobatic Jump" 
>>Warning: * xp32's "Momo Acrobatic Jump"  not installed<<
Patch: * rongphale's "Horsemen Mounted Combat Enh." 
Patch: * groovtama's Alternate Anim. for XPMSE/RaceMenu 

Reading FNISBase V5.5 ...
Reading FNISCreatureVersion V5.3 ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...
No GENDER directory male
No GENDER directory female

ERROR(2022): PCEA patch ticked, but PCEA is not installed

anyone has an idea?

EDIT 2: I see that every program (like Loot and Skyrim self) cant use the virtuel structure of MO. Does somone knows how to solve this problem ?
Edited by Gebiiiter