Completely remove stuttering ?

Kesta

Question

Some ENBs come with absolutely 0 stuttering, even on mid-end computers (which aren't even supposed to be able to run them). FPS can drop as low as possible, still ZERO suttering. Aaand.. I think it's amazing.

Two examples of ENB which have this "feature" : Vividan ENB and Tamriel Reloaded ENB. (Didn't use Vividian for a while though, I'm just assuming it's still similar to what it was some months ago).

My question is : Could this come from something else than enblocal.ini settings ? I've been tweaking mine a lot for various ENB (Grim and Somber, Bleak, Unbleak, ...), but never reached the 0 stuttering as I experienced with the two examples I gave above. Even with presets supposed to be less performance-heavy.

Like, other settings in skyrim.ini or skyrimprefs.ini, some things to take care of in enbseries.ini (Maybe there is a specific effect which is known for causing stuttering ?)

I recently installed Skylight for my STEP profile and like it a lot, I'm getting about 45 FPS... but I still have some stuttering here and there, and I really would love to get rid of it, even if it cost me 4-5 more FPS.

Edited by Kesta

6 answers to this question

It most definitely can. Unoptimized shader code is one of the biggest, which I can think of, that would cause issues. Other elements which authors include can also cause this. You could mess around with the INIs until you are pulling your hair out, but might never get anywhere if the coding is not written to be optimized and performance friendly.

Curious if you do not get stuttering from vividan, but from skylight. Vividan does have more fancy stuff going on that I ever put into skylight, so one would assume that with the same enblocal.ini it would behave similarly. 

I am going to assume that you are using the same at any rate. I never supply an enblocal.ini with skylight since it is so system dependent. The only reason some presets do is because of 3rd party .dll´s like SMAA. 

The next thing to check is to make sure that the SSAO etc. settings are similar. I know that Manga have done more work there over the last few months. There can be subtle changes if he use different settings there (There are different SSAO code use options in the settings in enbseries.ini). 

Ofc. the most easy solution could perhaps just be to enable skylighting... afaik then vividan does have that on by default where skylight have it disabled. I have setup the values so it should work really nicely. All you have to do is enable it in enbseries.ini under effects. 

Let me know if that somehow works or helps... it is more or less what I can come up with off the top of my head. 

Might it just be that Vividian has pretty low quality settings in enbseries.ini compared to a lot of other presets out there? I think its SSAO settings in enbseries.ini are set lower than any Grim and Somber performance preset for example. I don't much about the code behind it though x] Also, are you sure it isn't just Enboost's data migration causing stutters?

@TechAngel : Thx for the answer. At least now I know it might not just be me failing at something ^^

Might it just be that Vividian has pretty low quality settings in enbseries.ini compared to a lot of other presets out there? I think its SSAO settings in enbseries.ini are set lower than any Grim and Somber performance preset for example. I don't much about the code behind it though x] Also, are you sure it isn't just Enboost's data migration causing stutters?

Maybe, thought I've been toying with some enbseries.ini quality settings as well without probant results. What do you mean by "Enboost's data migration" ?

@TechAngel : Thx for the answer. At least now I know it might not just be me failing at something ^^

Maybe, thought I've been toying with some enbseries.ini quality settings as well without probant results. What do you mean by "Enboost's data migration" ?

I'm not sure what to call it. The method ENB uses to avoid hitting Skyrim's memory cap. I think you can notice the difference if you set EnableSpeedHacks to True. With this enabled you will notice it will be much smoother but at a certain point it'll just crash because I believe there are no enbhost.exe processes 'spawned'.