Locations not getting discovered

mellcrisp

Question

Playing through, working out any bugs I'm having, but now I've hit one that has stumped me. Certain map locations will not mark themselves discovered, like Jacobstown and Camp Forlorn Hope. According to the few posts I can find, it seems to have something with to do with Darnified UI, but I can't seem to find an actual fix. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by mellcrisp

7 answers to this question

Solved it! When building the bashed patch, there's a setting under "Tweak Settings", "Compass: POI Recognition" that defaults to [x 0.05]. I set it to [x 0.75] and I can now discover Jacobstown and Camp Forlorn Hope! It might kill immersion a bit as undiscovered locations now appear on the compass (small triangle), but it's completely worth it to me.

I looked in the Darnified UI settings xml file but I couldn't see any parameters that would change the display of the discovered or undiscovered locations. I'll try this tweak and I'll put it into the guide. Thanks for testing this.

x 0.75 seems to actually be way too high.. I'm getting icons on the compass from really far away. The next step up from 0.05 is 0.25 which still seems high (with 6 perception), but better than not being able to discover relatively important locations.

Edit: you can add a custom value, I'll try just playing with that to find an optimal value.

Edited by mellcrisp

The OP seems to me to be an entirely different question to what you are now saying is 'fixed'.

To me the term "location discovered" relates to a location that you have visited and can now fast travel to, whereas the setting you are changing is actually dealing with locations recognised but NOT YET discovered. ie. these locations show in the compass as triangle outlines and only become whole triangles once you have actually been there. It's the same mechanic as when a NPC gives you a location marker.

I thought your opening question was to do with visiting a location and it not showing marked as 'visited'.

Isn't what you are describing an issue only in the players mind, in that because you have played the game before you know such and such is there and you want to see it on your map?

No, what I'm referring to is indeed locations not being marked as "visited" or discovered, as in locations I'd already been to couldn't be fast-traveled to, and no text ever popped that I'd found it.

But, you're right in that the fix was for to the compass for not showing points of interest, which serendipitously had the side-effect of fixing the issue in the OP. I'd decided to try it on a whim. For whatever reason, re-adding the small, unfilled triangles to the compass enabled me to "discover" locations on the world map, which is what the tweak did.

Edited by mellcrisp