Mod Organizer is not running FO3 through Steam.

NexusAU

Question

I'm having an issue where I can launch FO3 through MO however Steam doesn't detect the game running and therefore I have no Steam Overlay. Is there a way to get steam to detect FO3 when I launch it through MO (Using FOSE). 

Here's my MO window.

TWUS0Fc.png

Edited by NexusAU

5 answers to this question

If you want the Steam overlay you can do one of the following:

Follow this thread on the MO support  site. User a_rod wanted a way to have the Steam overlay in fallout 3.

Or you can try the following two things.

1. Add MO a non-steam game to Steam and use that shortcut to launch MO and Then Launch the Game via FOSE. This will give you the use of the Steam overlay when the game launches. However it will not update the “You’ve Played†time for fallout.

1. If you want to go directly to the game and bypass MO do the following:
    1. From MO select FOSE as the application to launch. Select the shortcut dialog and select desktop. Close MO and find the desktop shortcut just created and right click on it and select properties. The target field should be highlighted so copy the whole thing.
    3. Open notepad and paste it into the document. Mine looks like this: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\ModOrganizer\ModOrganizer.exe" "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\fose_loader.exe"
    5. Open Steam and add a non-Steam game as before or browse to the desktop and find the short you just made. Add the selected game. When the game shows up in the list of games, right click it and select properties. Click on the “Set launch options†and add the second half of the MO shortcut with the quotes. Using my example it would be: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\fose_loader.exe". Click close and run the link from Steam. MO will need to be closed.

This will give you the use of the Steam overlay when the game launches. However it will not update the “You’ve Played†time for fallout. It will use the last active when MO was shutdown.

Please consider this a hack. This has not been tested in anyway, shape or form other than to see if I could get the overlay to work.

If you want the Steam overlay you can do one of the following:

Follow this thread on the MO support  site. User a_rod wanted a way to have the Steam overlay in fallout 3.

Or you can try the following two things.

1. Add MO a non-steam game to Steam and use that shortcut to launch MO and Then Launch the Game via FOSE. This will give you the use of the Steam overlay when the game launches. However it will not update the “You’ve Played†time for fallout.

1. If you want to go directly to the game and bypass MO do the following:
    1. From MO select FOSE as the application to launch. Select the shortcut dialog and select desktop. Close MO and find the desktop shortcut just created and right click on it and select properties. The target field should be highlighted so copy the whole thing.
    3. Open notepad and paste it into the document. Mine looks like this: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\ModOrganizer\ModOrganizer.exe" "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\fose_loader.exe"
    5. Open Steam and add a non-Steam game as before or browse to the desktop and find the short you just made. Add the selected game. When the game shows up in the list of games, right click it and select properties. Click on the “Set launch options†and add the second half of the MO shortcut with the quotes. Using my example it would be: "D:\Steam\steamapps\common\Fallout 3 goty\fose_loader.exe". Click close and run the link from Steam. MO will need to be closed.

This will give you the use of the Steam overlay when the game launches. However it will not update the “You’ve Played†time for fallout. It will use the last active when MO was shutdown.

Please consider this a hack. This has not been tested in anyway, shape or form other than to see if I could get the overlay to work.

Thanks for the help, I'll see what I can do.

A new mod was posted to the Fallout 3 Nexus, FalloutLauncher Replacer for Steam, which at least for me allows hooking Mod Organizer and Steam while running Fallout 3. I've included it in the Fallout 3 guide on STEP (see my signature block).

This works better than adding MO a a non-Steam game to get the overlay. It gives the proper community, guides and tracks the time. One caution though, if you run MO through this and do a modding session it will keep adding to the time in game counter.