True Storms - Thunder and Rain Redone (by fadingsignal)

Octopuss

True Storms - Thunder and Rain Redone

This might be a revolution.

DESCRIPTION
FlpwTTz.jpg

• Fixes the vanilla "thunder loop" problem! (see below)
  • Adds 20 new thunder sounds and new method for TRUE unpredictable/random playback
  • Adds 3 new ambient rain sounds of varying intensity
  • Adds all-new rain textures, and new rain/snow particle effects for heavy density and realism
  • Optional plugin for vanilla weather with dark nights
  • Optional plugin for diverse weathers (spreads all weathers across all regions)
  • Compatible with vanilla, Pure Weather, Natural Lighting and Atmospherics (CoT on the way)!
  • THIS MOD IS 100% SCRIPT-FREE AND COMPLETELY SAFE TO ADD/REMOVE AT ANY TIME.

The vanilla game has an annoying problem where upon loading a rainy weather, it will select a single thunder sound from the available group, and continue to play that ONE sound only until the weather changes.  A number of people have suffered from this "thunder loop" problem, and I decided to do something about it.  I did extensive testing and found a workaround that allows TRUE random playback of thunder.  No scripts or other trickery involved!

This mod improved the 8 vanilla sounds, then adds 20 all-new, intense, high quality thunder sounds to the game, all which will trigger at random.  Sometimes over top of each other. Sometimes it will stay quiet for a minute or two, sometimes it will RAGE.  It's completely unpredictable!

STORMS NOW FEEL SCARY, AND EXTREMELY IMMERSIVE! (even though I hate to use that word!)

I'd like to see a good compare. Especially with immersive thunder that's in STEP now.

Well, there's this video on the mod's page:

I don't think anyone bothered to compare it with the very old mod when this is meant as a direct problems-free replacement and then some.

And you can read more in the initial reddit thread.

I think this part is important:

Immersive Thunder v6 is an old, early mod, and does nothing scary but combine the vanilla rain and thunder wav files together, and change a couple of frequency variance settings (a few mistakenly, TBH). Because they blended thunder sound directly into the rain loop, the thunder actually DOES loop indefinitely, so those of you who are experiencing this are not crazy. However, this combined with the vanilla "problem" of only using one thunder sound means double repeating insanity.

Edited by Octopuss

I'll be testing it this weekend. I'm guessing it will not mesh well with the rain splashes mod by isoku, though.

I quite like True Storms, personally. Splash of Rain is listed as a Recommended Mod on the mod page for True Storms, so I'm guessing they work well together.

I think the occurrence of the splashes would have to be increased greatly to provide an equivalent and consistent effect.

This is what my main worry is. If the splash effect doesn't match the rain then we'll probably only be able to consider one of the both and not both for inclusion. It would come down to picking the best of the two.

I'm really wanting to find some time to test this mod out. Mangaclub said the only thing that it would really conflict with are the CoT patchs (which I don't use) and the Extended Weathers mod (which I do use). I'm expecting some official patches to be out soonish.