Nvidia Inspector settings are not enabled via Mod Organizer

aloot

Question

I've searched many of the Nexus forums, the Mod Ogranizer forums and google, but all to no avail. It seems to be a common issue, but I don't see anything written about it online, at least nothing that solves it. Most people have issues with the virtual ini files in MO, but even then, those issues seem more related to ENBs not working correctly. In my case, I am trying to force AA with Nvidia Inspector. The ENB itself works just fine.

To reiterate, the issue is that none of Nvidia Inspector's settings are enabled when launching New Vegas via Mod Organizer, but when launching via other means, the aforementioned settings work just fine.

I found a post online regarding RadeonPro. That said to add RadeonPro's exe to MO, but when I tried that with Nvidia Inspector, I got an "elevationr required" prompt, then after trying to proceed, MO failed to launch Nvidia Inspector and closed out.

I'm running on Windows 8.1.

10 answers to this question

It's been known for quite some time that the driver forced AA doesn't work in Skyrim (can't say for FNV). I don't think it's ever been linked directly to MO though.

Plenty of Modders and Youtubers such as Gopher get driver forced AA to work with both Skyrim and New Vegas.

Here's a video where Gohper does it with New Vegas.

I've been looking all over for a solution to this, but no dice.

Even if I didn't want to use Nvidia Control Panel's AA with an ENB, none of Control Panel's settings take place through MO. All form posts I've come across are about disabling AA in the launcher or the virtual ini files in MO. There's nothing about getting Nvidia's hardware AA to take effect in-game through MO, enb or not.

Just to reiterate, Hardware AA works fine in New Vegas as long as I use any other launcher or exe besides FalloutMO.exe.

Edited by aloot

I'm not sure what this issue could be then. All the Nvidia Control Panel stuff is for the drivers which have nothing to do with MO. They should be forced regardless of what application you're using to launch the game unless that utility overrides those settings in the driver. MO does not do this. The INI in MO could do this; however, those is not MO per se. That's just the game using the INIs as it normally would (which the drivers can override or stack onto). ENBSeries is one thing that could override the driver settings. If you have ENBoost set up properly, this shouldn't be an issue though.

I personally use a combination of ENB settings and SMAA to provide my AA solution. The drivers are set to App Controlled and AA is disabled in my INIs. When ENBSeries isn't installed, I just simply use SMAA.

I don't currently use full ENB with New Vegas as even with SMAA I still had horrible shimmer on all the building geometry along the Potomic near the Citadel.  Using MO, I am able to force hardware AA x8 and Transparency Supersampling x4 and they disappear, so it is possible to force various forms of AA in NV using MO.  I do have my settings as Override Application however.  I have not been able to do that with ENB without bugs.  I'll have to watch Gophers video (I have slow internet and want to see it in high res so I'm waiting for the file to download)

I don't know what to say. I've spent a lot of time testing and have narrowed it down to MO. When I launch with the Vanilla launcher or the 4GB launcher outside of MO, hardware AA takes effect. When I launch in MO, it doesn't. I will note however, that the only launcher.exes that works inside MO are the 4GB one and NVSE. The Vanilla.exe just closes MO and launches as if I had never opened it, i.e. if I open the task manager and view the game process it'll read FalloutNV.exe and not FalloutMO.exe.

At this point, I am not so worried about forcing AA for an enb or anything like that. I want to figure out what is stopping my Nvidia Hardware (Control Panel or Inspector) from overriding the game settings. I followed the instructions in the video above to the letter, and everything works fine as long as I launch outside of MO. If I launch within MO, it doesn't.

Just to be clear, regardless of ENB or not:

-4GB launcher outside of MO runs Hardware Overrides.

-4Gb launcher launched from MO does not. 

-NVSE launched outside of MO runs Hardware Overrides.

-NVSE launched from MO does not.

-FalloutNV.exe outside of MO runs Hardware Overrides.

-FalloutNV.exe launched inside of MO closes the application and runs the game without MO.

I added the FalloutMO.exe to both Inspector and Nvidia Control Panel, but it had no effect.

Despite my tone, I am not trying to indicate that MO is without a doubt the culprit. I just can't figure it out, and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I guess I can make a video, if need be to show what my setup is and how I'm running things, just so you can point out what I'm missing.

I should probably install Skyrim and some other supported games to see if the problem persists.

BTW, Gopher didn't mention in his video that the newer versions of the ENB dll don't support any Hardware AA. I had remembered that there was one or two older versions that did temporarily, but now the newer ones don't. Actually, since the original posting in this thread, I realized that none of the ENBs I want to use will support Hardware AA. I figured it out by forcing AA via the method in Gohper's video, launching the game outside of MO and getting visual errors. I then loaded the game via MO, and no AA had taken effect.

I will note however, that the only launcher.exes that works inside MO are the 4GB one and NVSE. The Vanilla.exe just closes MO and launches as if I had never opened it, i.e. if I open the task manager and view the game process it'll read FalloutNV.exe and not FalloutMO.exe

I'm confused by what you are saying here. What are you expecting to see in the Task Manager when you run the game? MO doesn't stay resident in memory once the game executable has started. All it does is establish a VFS with the loaded mods and the the game uses that as the data folder and loads them from there.

The only time MO stays active in the Task Manager is if you have unchecked the option in the Executables list box to "Close MO when started".

I When I launch with the Vanilla launcher or the 4GB launcher outside of MO, hardware AA takes effect. When I launch in MO, it doesn't.

When the game launches external to MO it uses the configuration files from My Documents\My Games\falloutnv. When the game is launched from MO it uses the configuration files from the active profile located in ModOrganizer\profiles. It sounds like you are using two different sets of configuration files. You have to verify that both are the same in order troubleshoot this.

I will note however, that the only launcher.exes that works inside MO are the 4GB one and NVSE. The Vanilla.exe just closes MO and launches as if I had never opened it, i.e. if I open the task manager and view the game process it'll read FalloutNV.exe and not FalloutMO.exe.

When you launch the game from the game launcher inside of MO you will not get any benefits from NVSE or the 4GB launcher. They just do not load this way.

I believe you will not see FalloutMO.exe in task manager. This workaround was done to get the 4gb to launch and as you cannot have two files in a directory with the same name the modified, hooked, file had to have a different name. I believe that 4Gb still presents the correct game name in order for everything to work otherwise Steam, MO and other tools would throw a fit. I am not entirly sure on this  point though.

At this point, I am not so worried about forcing AA for an enb or anything like that. I want to figure out what is stopping my Nvidia Hardware (Control Panel or Inspector) from overriding the game settings. I followed the instructions in the video above to the letter, and everything works fine as long as I launch outside of MO. If I launch within MO, it doesn't.

Again I make sure that the active profile configuration files match the ones in the vanilla folder.

Despite my tone, I am not trying to indicate that MO is without a doubt the culprit. I just can't figure it out, and I'm getting a bit frustrated. I guess I can make a video, if need be to show what my setup is and how I'm running things, just so you can point out what I'm missing.

At time we get frustrated also. It is not easy to troubleshoot something when you are not in front of the thing that is broken.

I'm confused by what you are saying here. What are you expecting to see in the Task Manager when you run the game? MO doesn't stay resident in memory once the game executable has started. All it does is establish a VFS with the loaded mods and the the game uses that as the data folder and loads them from there.

The only time MO stays active in the Task Manager is if you have unchecked the option in the Executables list box to "Close MO when started".

BOOM!!! I don't know why, but the FalloutNV.exe, and the NVSE and Vanilla Launchers were set to shut down MO. I don't know why. I never touched them; I'm new to MO and it never even occured to me to modify them.

In any case, as soon as I unchecked the box for them, ALL my Hardware Overrides started working. That is seriously all I did. For whatever reason, that was blocking my AA override.

As for seeing FalloutMO.exe in Task Manager, it shows up under the Details tab of the FalloutNV process: under "Name" it says FalloutMO.exe, but under "Description" it says "FalloutNV". I just always figured that indicated that the FalloutMO.exe being added to Inspector or Control Panel would do something, which it didn't.

Sorry, I'll try to read up more on MO to properly understand what it is and isn't, as well as more of its features. Thanks for the replies.

When the game launches external to MO it uses the configuration files from My Documents\My Games\falloutnv. When the game is launched from MO it uses the configuration files from the active profile located in ModOrganizer\profiles. It sounds like you are using two different sets of configuration files. You have to verify that both are the same in order troubleshoot this.

When you launch the game from the game launcher inside of MO you will not get any benefits from NVSE or the 4GB launcher. They just do not load this way.

I believe you will not see FalloutMO.exe in task manager. This workaround was done to get the 4gb to launch and as you cannot have two files in a directory with the same name the modified, hooked, file had to have a different name. I believe that 4Gb still presents the correct game name in order for everything to work otherwise Steam, MO and other tools would throw a fit. I am not entirly sure on this  point though.

Again I make sure that the active profile configuration files match the ones in the vanilla folder.

At time we get frustrated also. It is not easy to troubleshoot something when you are not in front of the thing that is broken.

I'm well aware of the virtual INIs for different profiles, and I have been using them properly. It's one of the reasons I opted for MO. I

I also made sure that during testing all INI settings were identical for Vanilla (My Documents\My Games\falloutnv) and MO (in my case, Steam\SteamApps\common\Fallout New Vegas\ModOrganizer\profiles\Default), so I could trouble shoot.

In the end though, who knows? Maybe I did screw something up. I mean, I must have. I am new to MO.

I'll try checking the boxes for those exes again and see if my problem comes back.

EDIT: Well, the more I'm fittling with things, the more I think I just screwed up somewhere along the way, testing between the multiple launchers and adding and removing them from Control Panel and Inspector. Sorry for the mess, and sorry if I came off as accusatory or anything semblant of that.

Edited by aloot