White specs, flashes, and black squares

zerohaste

Question

I'm getting these strange white shimmering specs around some objects (fences, carts, other similar objects) as well as white circle flashes and black squares randomly in FNV since switching from NMM to MO, and I have no idea what is causing it. From what I've read, these things are exactly the same issues nvidia users had way back when the game was released. Something to do with HDR and or AA. The issue disappears completely when I disable AA, and only partially when I disable HDR, but then I'm left without features that I never had to sacrifice before switching to MO. I have a GTX 670 and and re-installed the latest drivers, so neither one should be causing the issue. The issue I read about was mostly centered around the 400 series and whatever drivers were available at that time.

I followed the F&LNV guide, but using the mods I had before, which was surprisingly close to what the guide had. There were things it had I didn't want, and things it didn't I did (AWOP). I wanted to keep it mostly close to my load order I used in NMM, since I knew that worked.

I'm going to be switching back to NMM to test out and see if it fixes it, because I honestly can't think of what it could possibly be.

EDIT: You know, I figured that maybe I just didn't notice it during 46 hours on my last save and that it couldn't possibly have been the switch from NMM to MO, but I just got done switching back to NMM and the problem is gone. Same exact load order, same exact mod install order, same save. The only difference is the program I use to organize my mods.

Edited by zerohaste

6 answers to this question

Did you delete your vanilla INIs and restart the launcher from Steam to regenerate them? There may have been some left over settings in there. Once you regen your INIs make all your INI changes from MO's INI Editor.

You might also try using Nvidia Inspector to change the FNV profile to force AA/AF through your card instead of the game. 

I didn't, but just did and it didn't fix it.

I'll have to try the nvidia inspector next. I'm not very used to it so I'm not really sure what settings to use. The 4x/8x multisampling ones aren't working.

Edited by zerohaste

I didn't add either one.

I decided to try and copy and past the newly generated INI files over the MO INI settings, hoping that maybe I somehow made a rogue edit somewhere and accidentally saved it, but still nothing. I still can't seem to get inspector to apply AA to FNV no matter what settings I choose, either.

Specifically, I'm trying the instructions from the Blackout ENB on forcing AA through nvidia inspector. I tried a bunch of other settings, too, but none are applying.

Edited by zerohaste

Try this: 

Open Nvidia Inspector and go to Fallout New Vegas. Then, reset everything back to defaults. Add the following .exe's to the list: falloutMO.exe and fnv4gb.exe. Then hit apply to force the default settings. 

Make sure all the settings are set to application controlled. This is what fixed it for me. 

Edit: Here is a picture https://puu.sh/dYxft/f306d97640.png

Edited by Audley

Huh, well, that was an easy solution. That completely fixed the issue and I can do AA through the game again without getting those horrible shimmering white dots around objects.

I haven't played enough to see if the white flashing circles or black squares are gone yet, but I hope so. 

Thanks!

Edited by zerohaste