UIO and Dynamic Crosshair Fix

Satur9

Question

First of all. I just wanted to thank Kelmych for this great guide. I played Fallout 3 only once when it first came out. No DLC or mods at the time, save for a few small ones to get rid of the cataract effect the default NPC eyes had. After all this time, the guide is a great way to catch up on all the mods I missed.

I hit one conflict with the updated UI section incorporating UIO. Though the UIO Nexus page specifically mentions that it supports Dynamic Crosshair, it did not work after following the steps in the Clear & Present Danger guide.

It's fairly easy to fix: Open the Dynamic Crosshair mod in Explorer and copy the "Custom.xml" file. Open the menus folder and create a new subfolder named "prefabs". Open the prefabs folder and paste in the Custom.xml file. Then rename the "Custom.xml" to "DynamicCrosshair.xml", without the quotes. You might want to disable and then re-enable the mod in Mod Organizer just to be on the safe side. I know MO does not always "see" plugins that have been manually added to a folder or moved from optional to active, but I don't know about .xmls.

This got the dynamic crosshair working again for me. Hope this helps anyone else who has the same conflict.

• +1 2

5 answers to this question

Happy to help! I know how difficult it is to get all the UI elements to work together in the Fallout games. I relied on Gopher's instructions and videos when I last set up FNV, prior to these great STEP guides.

I'm having one odd bug with the Smaller Crosshair mod and UIO: for some strange reason UIO is moving the "interfaceshared0.dds" from the Smaller Crosshair mod folder to the overwrite folder.

I'm trying to figure out why, but I noted this from Jazziparis on the UIO Nexus page regarding usage with Mod Organizer:

"UIO may generate one or more files during runtime, that will be moved by MO to the "overwrite" folder. These files can be safely ignored and should not be manually deleted/moved from the "overwrite" folder."

Everyone seems to have different advice regarding these files that UIO generates, but given that Jazzisparis says they should not be deleted, I think it's best to follow his advice.

Maybe they can be moved to their own dedicated folder like FNIS or DSR output files. I can only speculate as I'm still learning the finer points of Mod Organizer.

I'm used to doing fully manual Morrowind installations; Mod Organizer installs are still a comparative novelty to me.

If you have any suggestions they would be welcome.

Appreciate the help, Kelmych. ::):

Unfortunately, I updated to the new version of MO but something went wrong and I have been unable to start FO3 MO since.

I'm going to reinstall 1.2.14 and see if I can get the game running again.

Thank you Satur9 for figuring this out.  I was able to get Dynamic Crosshair working by pasting the contents of the Custom.xml file into another (higher priority) UI mod's hud_main_menu.xml file (as ShadauxCat suggests in the mod's description), but this method is much better as it keeps the xml stuff seperate and contained in their own mods.  Thanks again!